• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

metal leaf mat

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Yes. I've seen it done with traditional techniques, but using acrylic gel media works and isn't as complex as gesso and bole.
The gel media is also low heat reactivated.
You need to treat both sides of the mat to keep it from cupping.

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Yes,
cut the mat
seal the surface if necessary and apply the size
place the leaf on the size when at the proper tack
tap down with cotton ball
seal the leaf and tone as necessary

PRACTICE ON A SMALL SAMPLE FIRST​

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I would do both.
I would also use one of the anti-reflective glazings like TruVue Museum Glass, ArtGlass AR99, or Optium Museum Acrylic. You have some other options that are not readily available on this side of the pond.
I would use a thin rag board barrier on the back of the mat to avoid direct contact of the gilded area with the art.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

JRB

PFG, Picture Framing God
We used auto primer, sanded it, then size and metal leaf, it was a fast and simple solution, but we used it mostly for fillets. If this is going to be your top mat, you cannot put it directly against the glass as the mat can no longer absorb condensation, you need to use a spacer.

Terry Hart cpf

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I haven't tried it but I'd think sandable hard acrylic gesso like the on Golden makes would work well as a base if you want to gesso first. Probably a little more flexible than traditional gesso. I'd tint it as the gilding always looks better over a colored ground than white. Or you might just use a coat of amber shellac as a base. I've done that.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades