• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Mental block - cutting an opening with a closed v-groove around it on Eclipse

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

murrayatuptown

Grumbler
I'm the maintenance guy...haven't done framing sales in years...calibrating an acquired Eclipse XL that had some damage & negligence.

Had Mark @ CMC Wizard repair the cutting head and spent many hours on the phone with him.

I find myself chasing myself to fix certain types of overcuts when doing it on the 'other' side. Like cutting a regular bevel from the front after cutting a closed v-groove.

We do that because cutting the regular bevel from the back can't (in my spatially-challenged head) be positioned accurately relative to the v-groove. So both get cut from front. And the regular bevel cut from front has horrible overcuts on front that are acceptable on the back where they would not be visible.

I've puzzled over whether I should be fixing left or right turns since regular bevel from front is the same or similar to...I am not even sure at the moment. There are times where the changes I make seem to have no effect and I sometimes figure out I am calling a left turn from the front a left turn from the front...but that doesn't seem to be what I need to correct what I see.

Is my confusion clear?

I am using Eclipse Cut 3.5.0 and Eclipse Create 3.5.0.

Thanks

Murray

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Register for the picture framer's grumble
Well... don't leave us hanging here...
How did you solve it?

Register for the picture framer's grumble

murrayatuptown

Grumbler
I stopped trying to rationalize what were right turns and which were left. The electronic PDF manual that came with our CMC referenced a Reverse Bevel tab in the setup, but we had newer software than had both regular and reverse combined into one Overcuts tab. I am not dyslexic, but spatial inversion/reversal really messes with me.

I take notes before I change any settings so I can reverse actions taken. If I cannot figure out what is the correct type of adjustment, I will sometimes document all current settings in the area I intend to change things, and make a excessive change increment to see what the effect is...in succession, trying each option. In this case, I had rationalized I needed to make adjustments with incorrect parameters (left turn instead of right), but when I was able to produce what I wanted, I realized there was no need to 'mirror' when cutting from the opposite side.

I am not sure I'll remember how to rationalize my way thru the correct adjustments for the less-frequently used cut styles in the future. More importantly, I feel like I have a logical way to make an experimental change and assess which correction methods are getting me in the right direction vs. wrong.

Most other adjustments are fine and I can follow the instructions. I only recently realized I was trying to follow instructions for older software.

The only bad thing with the note-taking is how many notepads I have in a pile. It is sometimes helpful to review them again if I find myself attempting to fix something I thought I already did, but now that there are multiple notepads I have to decide whether they still have value.

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames