Opinions Wanted Measuring grid/miter saw

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

afternoontea

Grumbler in Training
Business
In the garage
Firstly, Hi every one... I am new to this forum but not to wood work. I am looking for opinions on cutting miters for photo frames . My current set up is the Incra 5000,3 horsepower saw stop with the usual wood shop equipment. I find the Incra does not play well with Sawstop. I'm looking for advise on other options for miter saws. I have a dewalt but I'm willing to consider other brands. And some form of measuring grid. I've looked at the Clearmount system. But I'm open to any other suggestions.

I've followed this forum for a few months and it solved all kinds of problems for me. I'm just looking for a better way to cut miters, especially the inside miter.

I should mention that within my mounting workhop I do have a Cassese underpinner pneumatic 2.0.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions which will be gratefully received. :)

Thanks,
Graham

CHolt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
What would you say are the shortcomings of the Incra tablesaw combination?

What volume of production are you looking to achieve?

What species of wood and moulding dimensions are you cutting?

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Hi Graham, and welcome to the G!

There have been a couple discussions about miter saw set ups recently here. You might want to check the search function (upper right) for that.

Since you already have a table saw, have you thought of making a miter sled for that?

For miter grids, AIM Equipment listed them for sale a couple years back and I would assume they still have them.

They might also have a used miter bench for sale.

afternoontea

Grumbler in Training
Business
In the garage
Thanks for the input . I've used AIM in the past,but shipping is has always a problem or least how it seems on used equipment. will check it out though. thanks G

afternoontea

Grumbler in Training
Business
In the garage
Register for the picture framer's grumble
What would you say are the shortcomings of the Incra tablesaw combination?

What volume of production are you looking to achieve?

What species of wood and moulding dimensions are you cutting?
Don't get me wrong INCRA do a great job with their product line but, aluminum and saw sawstop do not for me play well BANG! another cartridge bites the dust = 80+$. Its awkward again at least for me in that you have to consistently change left to right cuts with miter arm, and reset stops all stops. In terms of production I'm putting together a an group of 50 images 22x24 plus my wife's art work. I've always made my own mats. I mostly build furniture. Wood: Maple, pine, oak, walnut the usual culprits even BB ply. Moulding's I make my own for now, I am a nebee after all. I was looking at different jigs and hapend on the Clearmount system which made me think. Graham

Airpag Corner, packing solution for frame shipping

CHolt

Don't get me wrong INCRA do a great job with their product line but, aluminum and saw sawstop do not for me play well BANG! another cartridge bites the dust = 80+$. Its awkward again at least for me in that you have to consistently change left to right cuts with miter arm, and reset stops all stops. In terms of production I'm putting together a an group of 50 images 22x24 plus my wife's art work. I've always made my own mats. I mostly build furniture. Wood: Maple, pine, oak, walnut the usual culprits even BB ply. Moulding's I make my own for now, I am a nebee after all. I was looking at different jigs and hapend on the Clearmount system which made me think. Graham
Well a double miter saw or a pedal guillotine chopper would be the most efficient.

How is the blade coming in contact with the Incra aluminum? Have you put the SawStop brake in Bypass Mode?

afternoontea

Grumbler in Training
Business
In the garage
Well a double miter saw or a pedal guillotine chopper would be the most efficient.

How is the blade coming in contact with the Incra aluminum? Have you put the SawStop brake in Bypass Mode?
Simply put, Operator error. Bypass mode is great but if you have to do it for every cut ehh. Even without the bypass you are looking at multiple actions to make to cuts. My gripe is not with INCRA or saw stop but when you add myself in to the equation it just seems as I stated earlier awkward Blade metal contact is forgetting to tigten clamp screw back up so arm drifts. it happens. I go away and sulk and say there has to be a better way

Register for the picture framer's grumble

CHolt

Simply put, Operator error. Bypass mode is great but if you have to do it for every cut ehh. Even without the bypass you are looking at multiple actions to make to cuts. My gripe is not with INCRA or saw stop but when you add myself in to the equation it just seems as I stated earlier awkward Blade metal contact is forgetting to tigten clamp screw back up so arm drifts. it happens. I go away and sulk and say there has to be a better way
Well there may be one. Be it Clearmount or a double miter saw or chopper those solutions are going to cost you.

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Anything where you don't have to change the angle of the machine is best:
Double Mitre Saw
Two Mitre Saws with their angles locked in place. I believe that is what Clearmount does for you.
Chopper
Mitre Sled on a Table Saw

I love the idea of the Sawstop, but I know that I would trip it accidentally.
How often does that happen for you?

afternoontea

Grumbler in Training
Business
In the garage
Anything where you don't have to change the angle of the machine is best:
Double Mitre Saw
Two Mitre Saws with their angles locked in place. I believe that is what Clearmount does for you.
Chopper
Mitre Sled on a Table Saw

I love the idea of the Sawstop, but I know that I would trip it accidentally.
How often does that happen for you?
Not often. This was the 2nd time. I use the INRA 5000 which is a sliding miter iit's a great tool I cant really fault it. I don't blame the tool just the operator!. As for Sawstop I pretty much do all my work on it
it without incident. Just that some days things don't come together and yesterday was one of them. Are you from the UK per chance. Graham

SmallCorp Welded Aluminum Frames, Acrylic Cases, Frames

alacrity8

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Not often. This was the 2nd time. I use the INRA 5000 which is a sliding miter iit's a great tool I cant really fault it. I don't blame the tool just the operator!. As for Sawstop I pretty much do all my work on it
it without incident. Just that some days things don't come together and yesterday was one of them. Are you from the UK per chance. Graham
Not from the UK myself.
I know we have some members from across the pond on here.
If you hover your pointer over someone's Avatar, it will indicate where they are (if they've filled out that info).