Measuring for this float frame (or is it a float frame?)

Terry Hart cpf

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I haven't run into this before but when I ordered a cop of this float frame it came in too small for the canvas. They cut the dimensions I gave them to the inner wall of the frame instead of to float wall as if the float wall were a rabbet. I was told that I should have specified that my dimensions were sight size. Seems to me sight size means the frame has a rabbet and then is not a float frame. I guess now I know how this company views this frame but I'm sure I've ordered it elsewhere without this problem. What say you? floater.jpg

I haven't run into this before but when I ordered a cop of this float frame it came in too small for the canvas. They cut the dimensions I gave them to the inner wall of the frame instead of to float wall as if the float wall were a rabbet. I was told that I should have specified that my dimensions were sight size. Seems to me sight size means the frame has a rabbet and then is not a float frame. I guess now I know how this company views this frame but I'm sure I've ordered it elsewhere without this problem. What say you? View attachment 31008

Sorry to tell you but that isn't a float frame.

Interesting. My sample has a factory label saying to add float allowance and it does have pre drilled holes in the wide flat base as if it were a float but you're right, looming at a nielsen chart its not listed as a float.

Interesting. My sample has a factory label saying to add float allowance and it does have pre drilled holes in the wide flat base as if it were a float but you're right, looming at a nielsen chart its not listed as a float.

Have to takd that back, it is indeed listed as a floater in the Nielsen literature .

Yeah, that's a float frame, but I believe it can function either way. The company should have clarified with you how it was sized.

Sorry but you are the problem here. YOU needed to calculate the size to the inner wall based on the canvas size, the space, AND then the distance to the inner wall. It should have then been chopped exact size with no allowance.

Orrrr.... you should have specified that you were using it as a floater frame with the canvas size and the space. This would have been my first choice.

Remember, they aren't mind readers.

Just so you know, i have used that frame as a regular frame many times as well as a floater. As I am the only one who knows how I am going to use it, I have to tell them.

This is a moulding designed for confusion. It's Nielsen profile 13, right? I suppose you could use it as a regular frame, but profile 34 is almost identical if you didn't want to have the floater option. In my opinion, the default for this floater should be to order it measured to the inner wall, but I get your supplier's point as well. I'll bet you could argue and get them to replace it. In the future, you will be aware that you need to be extra specific with this profile.

Always learning something new. I've ordered from another vendor before without problem & never considered it being anything other than a float. Biggest problem here was just that it was a rush (naturally) so I had to drive over & have it recut which they did of course, no charge, because they're a good vendor & now I know how they roll on this one. It is a confusing profile though.

It's not rocket science.

Work out the size of the artwork. Add the 'gap' you want x2. Order the chop that size dead.
I don't often order chops but when I do I add the allowance myself and order 'dead'. That way you
might get what you asked for. :D

It's not rocket science.

Work out the size of the artwork. Add the 'gap' you want x2. Order the chop that size dead.
I don't often order chops but when I do I add the allowance myself and order 'dead'. That way you

Is 'dead' English Speak for 'exact'?

Dead Pool?

It's not rocket science.

I did but I was working from from the inner wall, as you would for a float frame. The saw operator measures all the way back as if it were a standard frame with a rabbet, which I suppose it could be but that is not how the frame is described. It's described as a float frame. It's a little confusing though because on other float frames that inner wall extends all the way down to the frames platform. I other words, I needed to add the allowance + the "rabbet". My thinking was that if it's a float frame, it doesn't have a rabbet. If it does have a rabbet, it's not a float frame. Apparently there is some grey area.

(could be a new cutter on the vendor side who isn't well informed on varances too, or where the floater "lip" is compared to regular frames....

I loved that moulding and when I had the store I kept a few lengths in stock.

I had one customer who used it regularly for her photography. I also used it as a floater and stacked it with other moulding when I wanted the art to set back a bit.

(could be a new cutter on the vendor side who isn't well informed on varances too, or where the floater "lip" is compared to regular frames....

Well, I wondered that & the next time I order could it be cut wrong again but I think if I specified sight size I don't think there could be ant mistake, or at least I would get a call.

Back