• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Matboard Color Change

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
It's frustrating when colors aren't reliable. They're the one company we have this issue with. Love em, but I sure wish it was better.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Wow, that's quite a variation. I guess a difference like that could be caused by a change of production location or manufacturing materials. Color shift of an older piece due to molecular deterioration, handling, exposure to light, airborne contaminants might do it, too.

In any case, the old sample isn't much good now. Will you make a new one from scrap of that new board? I've done that several times.

bruce papier

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Don't get me going, Rick. I've been complaining about this stuff for years. What burns me up is that the error isn't dealt with at the earliest possible point. The matboard folks have always told me something to the effect that they can't control the variance because they don't make the face material. To my mind, they should be dealing with the people who make the material to get it to be consistent from one lot to the next rather than using whatever they get and passing the problem on to us.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Don't get me going, Rick. I've been complaining about this stuff for years. What burns me up is that the error isn't dealt with at the earliest possible point. The matboard folks have always told me something to the effect that they can't control the variance because they don't make the face material. To my mind, they should be dealing with the people who make the material to get it to be consistent from one lot to the next rather than using whatever they get and passing the problem on to us.
...and when other companies don't have the same trouble, those replies can chafe, as you know somebody's able to get it right. Like with one of our suppliers, who's pretty lousy with frame allowances. I know it's possible, because their competition sends perfect frame allowances. As do Nurre Caxton, Bella, Picture Woods, etc... If all of these companies can do it, the laws of physics would seem to include the possibility.

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I had the same problem with a different fabric mat from Crescent. My solution was to order the 40x60 and that matched my sample. I sent the 32x40 back.
If this one comes oversized, might be worth trying.

Rick Granick

I decided to use a different mat (which I had in stock) it's a Bainbridge linen. It will look good. This is a rematting/remounting/CC glass for a previously framed Ruthven eagle print. I'm reusing the same frame, which is a nice gold from Ivy Industries.
:cool: Rick

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I decided to use a different mat (which I had in stock) it's a Bainbridge linen. It will look good. This is a rematting/remounting/CC glass for a previously framed Ruthven eagle print. I'm reusing the same frame, which is a nice gold from Ivy Industries.
:cool: Rick
Is Ivy still in business?

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
With fabric covered mats, we use Framing Fabrics for the linen or silk and cover the mats ourselves which allows us to wrap the bevel with the fabric.
By doing this, we don't have to deal with the mat company issues.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
With fabric covered mats, we use Framing Fabrics for the linen or silk and cover the mats ourselves which allows us to wrap the bevel with the fabric.
By doing this, we don't have to deal with the mat company issues.
Do you attach them with fabric glue or Fusion 4000?

Register for the picture framer's grumble

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I have done thousands and thousands of these mats.
I'm doing 10 linen mats right now that are 40" x 54", some with fillets.

I cut the mat and then apply the fabric.
I use fabric glue and I put them in the heat/vacuum press.
Then I cut out the center of the fabric and wrap to the corners.

The mats that are getting fillets are cut on the Wizard with a reverse bevel with a 4 ply mat.
The mats that are not getting a fillet are cut on the Wizard using 8 ply so the mat has what we call a "heavy bevel" so the fabric shown is almost like a liner.
I apply the fabric to the 8 ply mat and then put the mat center back into the mat and put it in the heat/vacuum press.
Putting the center back in will press the fabric into the bevel and center of the mat to create a sharp center opening.

Sometimes, we have fabric mats that are too large for the 44x 68 press that we have.
I will cut the mat out of 48" x 96" Fome Core on the manual mat cutter (old school) and then apply the fabric and hand iron the fabric to the Fome Core mat (be careful of the heat) .

One other note...
Some fabrics have a direction of pattern in the weave and can also have "slub".
If there is a pattern I try to have the pattern go horizontal if possible.
If the pattern goes vertical, it can look like it's raining....
Many linens that we use can go either way.

Last edited:

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I have done thousands and thousands of these mats.
I'm doing 10 linen mats right now that are 40" x 54", some with fillets.

I cut the mat and then apply the fabric.
I use fabric glue and I put them in the heat/vacuum press.
Then I cut out the center pf the fabric and wrap to the corners.

The mats that are getting fillets are cut on the Wizard with a reverse bevel with a 4 ply mat.
The mats that are not getting a fillet are cut on the Wizard using 8 ply so the mat has what we call a "heavy bevel" so the fabric shown is almost like a liner.
I apply the fabric to the 8 ply mat and then put the mat center back into the mat and put it in the heat/vacuum press.
Putting the center back in will press the fabric into the bevel and center of the mat to create a sharp center opening.

Sometimes, we have fabric mats that are too large for the 44x 68 press that we have.
I will cut the mat out of 48" x 96" Fome Core on the manual mat cutter (old school) and then apply the fabric and hand iron the fabric to the Fome Core mat (be careful of the heat) .
With thin fabrics like silk, do you ever put the glue on, let it dry, put on the fabric and then do the heated press?

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.