• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

Mat thickness

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Is there a standard thickness for 4 ply matboard? For instance, if I'm designing a fillet what should the rabbet depth be? And would it be better to err on the side of making it deeper. or shallower?

TIA

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Register for the picture framer's grumble
David, as someone who uses filets on close to 90% of my matted work, I recommend that the rabbet be slightly higher than the thickest 4ply (typically solid core rag mats or fabric covered mats), and that the rabbet be vertical up to the mat thickness to easily fit a reverse bevel. It is also nice if the rabbet/flange is a little thicker that 1/8" to match the typical thickness of 1/8" archival foam core. If you can get a customer to send you mat samples and a sample of LJ's 131912, you will see the ideal size and shape for the rabbet/flange and how it fits.

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor Forum Sponsor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Pat, thanks for the info. I've got a sample of a fillet and some mats coming from my customer.

Register for the picture framer's grumble
Springlock by Craft Inc