Mat Magic

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Does anyone here still use Mat Magic powder or paint?

Many of the inks are going bad, but still used it when able.

framer

I don't do many French mats nowadays, but the powder colors are very good and fairly idiot-proof (just as well....)

Some colors work better than others. There a knack to applying them....

I never used the inks. Prefer to mix my own paints. I've a full set somewhere if anybody wants one. That's if
they haven't gone solid or I have chucked them out. o_O

I do a few French Mats and had a couple of little jars of mat magic but didn't really care for it. I don't think they make Mat Magic anymore or at least I can't find it through any of the art stores or other vendors. In it's place I use pastel sticks by shaving them into a powder and applying with a brush, I actually think it works better and it is easy to blend to the color that I want.

Mat Magic is no longer made. However Lion Products carries the Everest brand of mat and frame decorative products. They are similar. Pete Bingham [from the UK] was involved in making them. They have 6 pastel powders, and also ruling pen inks. They are available in the US from Tech Mark, Inc. [info@Tech-mark.com]

Mikki Kavich, Linda Wassell and I all demo'd these for Lion / Tech Mark at the WCAF a few years ago, and they worked well.

A trick than Linda suggested, [and this works for the Everest Powders and regular powdered soft pastels] is to take a razor blade and scrape just a few pieces of grey soft pastel powder, into the powder on the mat, then blend. [I use a foam brush.] The greys really add depth. I think Linda has a set of 5 to 10 grey soft pastels she just uses for this.

And I have found that, even if you powder your own soft pastels, a combination of more than one color works best. Just looks better in my opinion.

Shayla,

Why do you ask?

Are you looking for them?

Shayla,

Why do you ask?

Are you looking for them?

No, I have a few boxes left from 'back when'. Some paint, and some powder.

I found a box of mat magic powders. I don't do framing. Are they useable for crafts or should I sell

Well, the powders keep well, so if you care to list the selection in the "Commercial - For Sale" section of this forum, I think you may find a buyer quickly.

anyone know a good price to set per ea or in groups. I have a lot... and thank you for responding

These products have been mostly off the market for quite a while. There was an attempt at a comeback by an international distributor, but I don't think it ever gained the traction needed to survive.
I bought a slightly used complete set, including the elusive 36" stainless steel straight edge back in the early 90's for about $200.00. I still buy odd lots of the products when available, but for the most part I have been given what is leftover from shops that are closing or just don't use the products. I did spend a little on some of the metallic inks a few years ago when a small cache of them was discovered in the Netherlands, but it wasn't a lot of money, and the shipping was almost as much as the products.
If you are looking at maximizing the return for this, you need to examine all the inks to make sure they are still fluid, and cull those that have dried out. Inventory the rest of the powders with color and estimated quantity in the jar. Then take good photos.
eBay will be the best place to sell these. I would offer the complete collection rather than have the hassle of having to package and ship a bunch of individual parcels, and collect from various customers.
Once you post the sale on eBay, you can post a notice in the Grumble commercial section with a link to the auction site.

Thanks @wpfay I went thru the box. Have more than I thought! 24 powders and t hey all look full. Maybe even unused. I can't tell but the powders is up to the shoulders of the bottle in I think all of them. Then there are 6 liquids. I shook them so they are not dried. No idea how well they mixed. Then half dozed small bottles but not sure if they will mix. Then there are 4 or 5 food containers with powder. So once I figure out a price to set for all, or rather a price for the powders with the liquids tossed in, I'll post a link in the commercial area here.

Attachments

• 20210105_132107_resized.jpg
    20210105_132107_resized.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210105_132242_resized.jpg
    20210105_132242_resized.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210105_132640_resized.jpg
    20210105_132640_resized.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210105_132651_resized.jpg
    20210105_132651_resized.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210105_132201_resized.jpg
    20210105_132201_resized.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 14
I always saw these as some sort of quick-fix for french matting ( "Washlines" in UK speak) a cop-out. Looking at them the reality is they are actually less convenient and harder work than traditional methods - and washlines are traditional!

I could be wrong but I very much doubt they could compare with simple watercolours in pans or tubes in the right hands or acrylics or even inks, plus marbled paper panels blah blah blah - and regards lines in real gold leaf, be they transfer loose or shell gold ... I could not be wrong. Self adhesive mitred bands of foil? I don't think so.

so, does anyone have any idea how much the powders were new? I can't even begin to put a price on a lot without any info. there is nothing out there

India ink or China black works. Gold makes some liquidy black acrylic that work as well.
Classic India ink is the best. It is made from pure carbon deposits, and the color is permanent. The good stuff is costly, but well worth it.

Back