mat cutter handle modification


May 31, 2005
I was wondering if anyone has made modifications to their manual mat cutter handle or Fletcher glass/mat cutter handle, to make it more comfortable to use for long periods of time and more ergonomically correct? I tried to find ideas under old topics, but this doesn't seem to have been addressed in the past. I know there are thousands of creative minds out there who are great problem solvers and enjoy improving just about everything. Any ideas you'd like to share?

Sorry but Wendolene, the way I see it - if you are using a manual matte cutter lots - seems like it would be wiser to get a computerized matte cutter.
Wendolene, On the Fletcher mat cutter, if you mean the clamp handle (the long bar), you can get clamp lifters that raise the bar after you take the pressure off it. It frees up one hand.
HB, thanks for the idealistic advice. I agree, that would be the best solution, but it isn't doable for me just yet.

JohnR, I use a Carithers (waaay past worrying about voiding any warranty). By the handle, I meant the cutter head bevel handle . My finger joints want to bend backwards 'cuz of the concave shape of the head handle. Very annoying when cutting for long periods.
At your local hardware store you can purchase tubes of a plastic type compound. I can't remember the name of the stuff. They have a clear wood one, an aluminum one, and I think a steel one. I'm at home now so I can't go look to see what it is called. Anyway, you just cut off the amount you need and mix it together until it is evenly colored. It's like a heavy bodied putty.

From this you can make your own handles to fit your hands perfectly. If you use the metal ones, the set up time is just a few minutes. If you use the wood kind, you have a much longer window to get it just right.

Once you have created your custom handle it will last for years. I made a small handle for our old Fletcher wall cutter about eight years ago, it is still going strong. I did use the metal putty because the handle is a small one. The stuff only costs a few bucks a tube, handy as heck around the shop for fixing tools and frames.

John- sounds like you may be talking about PC-7. It's a two-part putty that you mix easily to a dark gray color. It sticks to anything (within reason) and is somewhat moldable like modelling clay. It dries really hard but is then sandable.
I just used some to repair the track from which my moulding sample panels hang, by grafting on a metal bridging strip I made from a straightened 1/4" spring clip.
They now make special "versions" of PC as John mentioned, but I've always had good luck with the "classic" PC-7.