Mat cutter cover source

Bill Henry-

Brussel Sprout Connoisseur
Business
Retired from the grind
I need to retire my old, trustworthy Carithers mat cutter covers.

I received a replacement with the C&H logo on it, but, I believe, that it was made from the gossamer wings of bulimic butterflies. One good sneeze and it wafted into the air until it was impeded by a dust mote.

I need something more substantial like the original Carithers which is a heavy duty, translucent, plastic (maybe vinyl).

I ordered this flimsy replacement from United. Anyone know of another source?

Bill I use a nice piece of fabric to cover mine. If you want a heavier piece what about a picnic table cover?

I agree with Bob. A good piece of fabric attached below your table. I just flip mine up over the cutter at the end of the day. And my wife made me mine.......brings a tear to my eye each time I use it.....she's a good woman.....
thumbsup.gif

I also use a pretty piece of fabric. I sewed magnets into the far edges so it "sticks" to the end bars of my old Keeton Kutter. I get a LOT of compliments on it from my customers and they are impressed that I am keeping my Kutter klean!!!

I always thought that those vinyl covers would be dust magnets (so to speak!).

I can send you a photo of what mine looks like if you wish - it isn't "shaped" or anything - just a flat piece of hemmed fabric with an extension for the guidance system.

Bill, Frank's Fabric for Framers has over 500 styles of mat-cutter covers......
Some are heavier than others, but all work good.

And in a pinch, you could even wrap a mat with them. :D

I have used a fitted sheet to cover the whole table - stays in place and can be washed and reused -you get to pick the "decor" :D

Elaine

Thanks folks,

I got to say that when I first posted that I used fabric to cover my mat cutter I was afraid that I would get ridiculed and teased about it!

I could hear follow up posts about lint on the cutter bar and all that. It's good to hear that something I'm doing isn't completely unorthodox and stupid! Or is at least being done by others ;) BTW I do change the fabric for the seasons. Well at least I have a X-Mas one and a couple of others for everyday use. Maybe I could find a slick silk screened tuxedo one for those more formal days, or when I know I'll have to be cutting wedding mats.

All this talk of dust covers has got me to thinking about making a dust cover for my Masterpiece 500 mounting press. Never has an object been created that collects dust so easily!!! I mean, who thought it would be a good idea to make a piece of equipment with a "sandpaper finish" to the ENTIRE exterior!!! I have to scrub the darned thing with a toothbrush because towels and sponges just shred to bits!!! GRRRRRRR...

So I found a nice big bright hunk of upholstery fabric and I am just gonna cover it up!!! Only use it once a month these days anyhow!

Anyone else have any secrets to keeping the durned things clean???

Back