• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Mat Board or Foam Core

Stephen Enggass

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
What do most of you use when mounting art behind a Mat Window? Do you prefer to mount art on another piece of Mat Board or Foam Core and why? I see people do it both ways. Is it just a matter of preference?
Steve.

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I always use matboard. I usually have lots of offcuts to use for this purpose. Or for bigger things,
matboard you are a tad overstocked with. Sometimes you can get end-of-line bargains. Color doesn't
matter. Always hinge to the unfaced side.
I would never use foamboard for bookmats. Too thick and insubstantial.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I believe it is a matter of preference and dependent upon the type of framing it is. I like the 1/8 acid free foam board or coroplast for the common framing that doesn't need much adherence to Conservation type framing. Examples are low value prints & low value posters for this type of backing. Any art that have sentimental value or a higher monetary value I use 2 ply cotton (rag) mat between the art and the acid free foam core, coroplast, or in some framing I may even mount to 8 ply cotton mat. It is all a matter of what you need for the individual frame job.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Mat board, 4 ply as default.

Foam board, if and when it's an issue, cannot have the same properties throughout as preservation quality mat board. Foam board may be fine as a frame backing but you shouldn't - again, if/when it matters, use the frame backing board as the mounting board as well.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Even with a matboard mount back, it's important to support the back with more. We've had a lot of things come in for reframing that were backed only with matboard, and it warps over time. As Robo mentioned, foam board is a good frame backing.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202