• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Masterpiece 500T-X 365 degrees?

Patriot frame

Grumbler in Training
does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the electronics in this press to get up to 400 degrees? i just got in to sublimation and that requires a press to get to 365 degrees or more, i am currently using a 16x20 heat press to do shirts but i also want to do larger Aluminum and acrylic

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I am no expert, but I explored this last year with a friend of mine that is an expert on sublimation. It is not advisable if you are going to continue to use the press to mount art.

The presses the award industry is using achieve those numbers easily. Because of their specialized use, I remember that buying a press for sublimation was not nearly as expensive as even a used 500.

Have a look at https://www.engraversjournal.com/
and

One final caveat: There have been lots of advances in materials in recent years, but sublimation is still a specialized subset of the awards industry. Expect a fairly steep learning curve with material that is fairly expensive. Expect to spend as much time learning as you did learning to cut mats consistently by hand.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it; just proceed with caution, particularly if your press is critical to your framing business.

In my case, with sublimation less than 1% of my business, I opted to outsource the actual sublimation to someone who does it every day.

Like the rest of us, I am pretty sure my friend is looking for things to do right now and would be glad to talk to you about it. PM me if you want his number.

Patriot frame

Grumbler in Training
thanks, my seal is over 20 years old and am looking to upgrade to vacuum so i would be willing to chance it, the sublimation presses i have been looking at range from $2k for the Chinese ones, the domestic ones run $8-$20k plus, i am looking for a minimum 24 x 28, but would prefer 32x40 so i can also use for regular dry mounting also

Patriot frame

Grumbler in Training
i have been doing sub for about a month now, i see that is really tricky, especially with shirts, most of the shirts get scorched because of the high heat, i have found a couple brands that work great, i am just working on getting a wholesale account with the manufactures now, i have not tried subing aluminum yet, but i do have a bunch of license plated and 12x24 sheets that i picked up real cheap to practice on.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I would think the physical part of the machine, with the possible exception of the neoprene pads, could handle the added heat, but the electronics wouldn't. You would have to MacGyver everything from the thermostat to the heating elements.
On the bigger sublimation presses, what is the voltage requirement? Are you going to be able to pull enough voltage to attain and sustain the heat desired with 110V on a platten the size of a 500T? These machine's normal operation range rarely exceeds 220F, and usually were more like 160-170F for regular dry mounting purposes.
You might want to contact Steve Adams at Aim Equipment. He probably knows as much about these machines as anyone and may be able to help you.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I hadn't thought about this, but at those temperatures, you would want some safeguards since the heat would be much higher. This is ok if you are the only one near it when it is heating up. And once you tinker with the electronics, you will want to be sure you can turn off the electricity to it each day. I would not want to rely on the power switch.

I would sure like to hear how this turns out.

Patriot frame

Grumbler in Training
I hadn't thought about this, but at those temperatures, you would want some safeguards since the heat would be much higher. This is ok if you are the only one near it when it is heating up. And once you tinker with the electronics, you will want to be sure you can turn off the electricity to it each day. I would not want to rely on the power switch.

I would sure like to hear how this turns out.
as of right now I am only sublimating a couple times a week for a couple hours at a time, so it would not be on for that long, i also have a breaker right near the press that i could use to turn it off if necessary.

Register for the picture framer's grumble