Marble Tile

sunshine

Grumbler in Training
This is my first time posting on this website so please excuse me if I break any rules..

I have two marble tiles that I want to display in a box frame with glass. Attached is one of tiles. Each of them is about 3 x 5. I have below questions.
1) Because marble is heavier than a picture, I am assuming that I need to have a different backing than the usual one that would come with a standard box frame, from let's say Michael's. What should I use for backing?
2) How do I mount marble tile on the backing?

Please help. I have these tiles for number of years but I have not been able to display them because I do not know what to do with them.

If you some other suggestions to display, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance
Marble Tile.jpg
Marble Tile.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous tile!

I am not sure where you are located exactly in MA, but I am in Gloucester MA and would be more than happy to show you some options.There are numerous possibilities, but have a professional look at it.
I would probably use formed rods, drill into a good backboard because of weight of marble. Use a nice fabric mat in a neutral color and a fun shadow box frame.

Welcome to the G!

If they are square, I would consider a sink mount with a reverse bevel mat catching about a 1/6th inch all around. 8 ply mat for the reverse, thoroughly glued to the backing structure, would give it strength to space a bit from the glass.

Just an idea off the top of my head......

Use thick foamcore and place the tile in the center. Draw around it with a pencil and cut the middle out.
Gently radius the edges of the window by running a screwdriver shank (or whatever) along and cover the
whole lot with a suitable soft fabric (velvet). Cut the middle out leaving maybe 1/2" 'tuck in' margin.
D/S carpet tape is the best thing for mounting the fabric. Lay strips on the mountboard and peel the top
paper one strip at a time, smoothing down as you go. Stick the foamcore to a piece of 2.5mm MDF.
The idea is to make a little 'nest' for the tile to hold it firmly but gently in position. A few tabs of d/s foam
tape should stop it moving forward. Foam core being what it is will not put undue pressure on the tile.
you might have to fine-tune the hole size for a nice snug but not too tight fit.
I assume you are going to have glass covering them, so the tile front should be below the plane of the fabric
surface so as not to touch it.

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me some good ideas. I am not a professional framer so I do not have any of the items you mentioned so I have to think and plan out the whole project.

Regards

We have done a number of fabric covered panel liners for tile where we create an opening slightly larger than the tile in a panel that is slightly less in thickness. We then add an 1/8" backing board. The face of the tile, when recessed into the opening, will sit just above the face of the fabric wrapped panel liner. Because the panel is almost as thick as the tile it also helps support the weight. Even if it is not square - as long as we can get an accurate tracing we can import it into our software and cut an opening to closely match the shape of the tile. Give us a call if you are interested in further information Rick rianfabrication.com

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me some good ideas. I am not a professional framer so I do not have any of the items you mentioned so I have to think and plan out the whole project.

Regards

If they are of any value, be it monetary or emotional value, please see a professional framer. This might not be a DIY project as you might do more damage than good.

Most framers would be more than happy to give you some options and pricing.

Back