Major antique frame challenge - help!!

Rozmataz

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
A customer comes in the door with her hands full, to say the least!

She has 2 gorgeous original drawings to frame - and wants one of them in her antique 4" deep Victorian ornate frame that had previously housed a mirror. Beautiful old frame.

The challenge: The frame does not have a rabbet!! What is the best way to create one? With a flat square profile moulding or stretcher bars - as I will have to paint it gold to match the vintage frame.

The artwork needs to be float mounted to display it's deckle edge and I need to use a spacer as well.

All ideas are welcome!!

Thanks,

Roz

What held the mirror in the frame? There had to be some sort of something on the back that acted as the rabbet of the frame.

If there is nothing on the back, it will be easy to make one that sets back about 1/4" from the inner edge of the frame. It won't show so you don't have to paint it gold or anything else. Cut wood deep enough to allow floating room and glue it to the back of the frame. Seal the wood afterwards and you are all set.

Framah,

The mirror was held on with offset clips!!

Scary - as it fell and broke and only did slight damage to the antique frame.

Roz

Ok.. that is a weird frame fer shure!!

Roz have you considered adding some shoe moulding in reverse to the rear of the frame set back enough to use the back of the frame as the rabbet . you could pre-stain the Shoe moulding in a comparable gold finish and attach it with some glue and small braids.
BUDDY

Roz -
I would use a black flat faced moulding and attach it to the antique frame w/ offset clips rather than glue (reversibility - do no harm) Since you have 4" to work with, you can make the flat faced frame's opening larger then you won't have to paint it & by using a black moulding, it would be less noticeable than raw wood. This design might even add to the float mount you want to achieve. (I'll email you a couple of moulding #'s)

Back