Looking for pine moulding ??

Sarah Winchester

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I would like to find a source for pine moulding that is finished in it's natural color, perhaps in several profiles. Length is okay, doesn't have to be chop. Burnich has one or two, but the previous owner left copious notes about various suppliers and he recommended against Burnich; and I'd like to find a source closer to the Midwest.

Thank you for any help. I've learned alot from this forum.

They have Pine in the Midwest??? :eek:

I thought they only had wheat, bibles, and BBQ's.
party.gif
:D

Sorry. Friday humor (punchie). Maybe PB&H, but I think you will find it hard to get any kind of selection.

Pine (not Home Depot studs) but "moulding grade" has become more expensive than oak and maple. So you show a pine frame at $16/ft and people think you're crazy . . . "IT'S JUST PINE".....

Moulding grade pine comes from the heart wood of the lower third of a "True" pine, with a but measuring no less than 34" across, with a meridian girdle diamiter of no less than 28" meaning a tree that has hit the 120' mark or taller. Hard to find in the USA anymore. Most of that is coming out of Canada and is Spruce. (refer back to the "True" pine part.)

Go around to a few cabinet shops with some samples of the shapes you would like. See what they would charge you to run a hundred or so feet at a time. You can use any grade of pine you want.

Make your frames and finish them with clear lacquer. Sand the frame first, wet it with water, let it dry completely, lightly sand it again, then spray your lacquer. Do about three or four coats, lightly sand, one more coat, your done.

This can be done with just about any wood you want. Be sure to go to several cabinet shops, the prices for milling can vary dramatically.

Once you find a shop that will work with you, be nice to them. Having a good relationship with a cabinet shop will be a valuable asset to your business. Also, remember, with time, clear coated pine will age, or slowly change color, expect this and warn your customers.

John

You might also call the Mountain Lumber Company in Ruckersville, VA. They have several thousand feet of re-claimed antique Heart Pine (longleaf pine). When Ivy Industries was in business, Ivy offered a dozen or so heart pine profiles. When the company went out of business, Mountain Lumber purchased the moulding and have expressed that they'd like to get rid of it -- so the price should be good. Their number is 434/985-3646.

Good luck -- Harris Haynie

Back