WTB: Looking for mat/art storage available NH/ME or MA

Are you looking to build or buy?
There are many previous posts on how to build storage for your shop.
Not sure if anyone had anything to purchase at the moment.

Metal Shelving may not be strong enough for mat storage. I know, having had one collapse on me. Build your own and you can engineer it for the substantial weight of mats. Here is mine that has been going strong for 15 years.

shop9.jpg

Can a tenured Grumbler steer me towards build plans for mat storage? I’ve searched the forum but most are very old, the picture links dead and weren’t too helpful. Thanks I’m also looking for mat storage solutions...on the other side of the country.

Can a tenured Grumbler steer me towards build plans for mat storage?

I don't have any plans. When I built mine I winged it. Saw the space where it was to go, visualized the support 2x6s that to up to and are bolted to the ceiling beams, figured out how long I wanted it, determine the width (enough for a 32" mat), determine the height of each shelf (mats/foam on the bottom landscape, mats on the second shelf portrait and whats left over on top for whatever). Built the support structure for the shelves and laid the shelves. Visualize what you want and have at it. Plans are fine for a start but your mileage will probably vary.

As Yoda would say: "Be the Mat Rack".

Last edited:
We just measured the inside space that we needed, and built out from there. We did the same for a big table under the CMC, which is actually two 48" (outside) wide boxes that we screwed together, with a top board that goes across both and screws down from the top. We did this so it can be moved through our back door, if we move again in the future. (lesson learned from the move 3 years ago) We used masonite for the dividers, and used a router to make grooves so they slide right in.

Inside the (CMC/MAT) one pictured, it is 36" deep, so the mats will stick out some. Inside is 46 1/2" w, with a 3/4" particle support in the middle, and masonite slats between those. Inside is 33" high, with an inch clearance on top of the stored mats.

Since we wanted to save space, the CMC controller and PC are to the left/rear, on top of the table. We put a small fold up keyboard shelf right on the wall beside it, for the mouse, keyboard, and all of the CMC heads/tools. (ignore the PC on the floor, that is from our former CMC and is not connected)

PC monitor is hung from the wall, on a swing out bracket. Silent compressor is in the basement, just below. The sample wall on the right was added later, for more space and a bit of separation. The CMC is in the customer/view area in our new shop, in a back corner where customers would not normally go.

cmc2017a.png

cmc2017b.png

cmc2017c.png

We did similar tables in the back room, for fitting table. (but for storage of FC boxes that store incoming orders and other materials) A second fitting table has glass storage below. We did one under the drymount press as well, for FC storage. Measurements vary on those, based on what is needed below.

These were all made with 3/4" particle board from Home Depot. We glue and screw together. There is a 2x4 base for kick and vacuuming reasons for all of the furniture we made.

At our old shop, the front/design counter was also the same type of thing. At the new shop, we are using kitchen cabinets out front with a granite slab on top 99x49 inches. The counter has hidden storage on both sides, and some drawers on our side.

If you want to do this yourself and need any other pics of what worked for us, let me know.

Mike

Back