Looking for artist information

Robert Kellum

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I am looking for information, and more works, by artist Sue Parkhill.

I purchased a really nice seascape (oil on canvas - 24x36) in 1989. To date, all of my attempts to locate information or more of her work online have been dead ends.

Thank you

might help to know location where it was purchased, from dealer or flea market, etc, maybe even post a pic or 2 to get the ideal/feel of the artist???????

I purchased the painting from "Collectors Corner" in April 1989, in southern California. The quality is very good, and it is one of the better seascapes that I have seen (thats why I bought it). This is all I know of it. It has been hanging in our livingroom for 18 years, and we recently reframed it and got curious about the artist and seeing more of her work.

per my appraisal resources - she is not a listed artist.

She was listed in Art Business News artist index in 2002

Sue Parkhill -- Artistic Expressions Ltd
Originals
Sue Parkhill -- Leisure Gallery

NOTICE: "APB" seeking the elusive artist- 'Sue Parkhill'

-Well, not to- :bdh:, -but i am an alumni of ArtCenter-college of Pasadena, and also purchased a wonderful oil-painting by the elusive Oregon artist ms.Sue'Parkhill circa/1985-90 from a booth at some So.Calif. Tradeshow, --most of the artwork on display was run-of-the-mill, --but hanging-up as their crowning-glory was this one absolutely thrillingly brilliant 2'x3'-seascape, which captured a tumultuously stormy-sea so masterfully that i just had to have it for under $500.oo! Accordingly, i am now going to try and post a picture of it here for all posterity... :help:

Attachments

• Sue'Parkhill, -seascape artist -1985 24''x36''.jpg
    Sue'Parkhill, -seascape artist -1985 24''x36''.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 177
ocean

i also have one of "sue parkhill " oil painting that my mother in law bought it in 1986 i was wondering if anybody can tell me how much this one cost now .........

Attachments

• painting 002.jpg
    painting 002.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 126
Jen29:

You can do 2 things:

1- Look on eBay and see how much they're going for (that' will give a VERY rough estimate)

2- Go and see a professional art appraiser (best thing to do for such a purpose).

Welcome to the Grumble and it would be nice if you'd complete your profile; Grumblers don't like communicating with unknowns.

I'm sorry to be a grumbler, but I'll bet that Sue Parkhill is but a nom' de plume'. These paintings are similar in style and content to a large market of generic paintings that are being imported and sold here in the states. I've seen them at shops on 42ed St. here in NYC as well as Miami and LA. I'm not saying that you shouldn't appreciate them... just don't overpay for them or expect them to have any resale value. Only my opinion folks... Scott Richter, prof. Cooper Union School of Art

I agree.........

I also agree with Art Guard. I was once given some sage advice. You should collect what you like, not what you think will appreciate in value.

Art, first and foremost, is for viewing, not an investment tool. If it works out the latter, all the better, but............

Rob

This same oil painting I found today with the name Sue Parkhill in lower right corner. I thought it was an original until I looked at the picture above.. did she do several almost identical at the same time? The one I saw today was purchased at a used furniture store for $300 in the late 80's. It is now on the wall of an 88 year old male's home in Pleasant Grove Utah

This is my first post on this site - I also have a Sue Parkhill but mine has an old shipwrecked what I take as a pirate ship. I paid $20 for it at the Goodwill and I love it. I have it hanging above my couch. I agree, her work is beautiful and I feel I was very fortunate to find this painting.

Another Sue Parkhill fan

I've had a Sue Parkhill since around 1999 which I bought in Irvine, CA at a Collectors art show. Missed out on the first one I viewed which had a small island in the distance, but fortunately found one at a later show with a lighthouse. It's a larger size is 2' X 4'. I also have one painted in 1988 that is about 20" x 30" I bought on ebay a couple of years ago. It has a couple of seagulls but it is much lighter and very hard to get a decent photograph.

Really enjoy seeing the posts that have pictures attached.
Would love to see that one with the shipwreck.

Attachments

• Sue Parkhill 1999.jpg
    Sue Parkhill 1999.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 70
Follow up picture

This is the other painting mentioned that was dated 1988. Rechecked size and it is 20"x24".

Attachments

• Parkhill 1988.jpg
    Parkhill 1988.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Parkhill with seagulls.jpg
    Parkhill with seagulls.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 51
Sue Parkhill

I purchased the painting from "Collectors Corner" in April 1989, in southern California. The quality is very good, and it is one of the better seascapes that I have seen (thats why I bought it). This is all I know of it. It has been hanging in our livingroom for 18 years, and we recently reframed it and got curious about the artist and seeing more of her work.

Did you ever get your answer? I thought Sue Parkhill was a man (Asian American) I'm looking for that painting myself. saw it at a Merrill Chase gallery but now out of business. Would love to get it

But that was only when he was a boy named Sue.

Are you now saying he painted when he was a boy? OK, sorry, that was bad. I just had to put my 2 cents in the conversation!

Hi:
I have a beautiful painting by Sue Parkhill that I might be willing to part with.

It is a seascape with beach and mountains and measures 24" X 36".

not sure what it's worth?

hey---I am going to ask a good Southeby's trained art/antique dealer in my small town i have known for yrs--we are friends---and a retired art history professor I am good friends with. If they answer me in a timely fashion, i will get back to you. I hope i can be of some help to you.

Hi there,

I am interested in seeing an image of your Sue Parkhill and am interested in buying it. Please let me know if you still have the painting. Many thanks.

Regards,

LuvSeascapes

Looking for artist's information

Hello Robert,
My dear friend and Art history professor - emeritus and collector/appraiser wrote back to me. Here was his response:

"Alas, an artist named Sue Parkhill has never made it into the resale market. You probably have already Googled her name. I am going to try it. Where artists have not made this resale market, I have to set the maximum hard market value of such works at $500, unless I have evidence that they sell steadily at some higher price.

Actually, Parkhill can be Googled to a point, indicating she has a presence in the art world, so information about her should be somewhere, if someone took the time. However, what I said about her market value still stands."
James

---my own experience ---depending on how beautiful the art is, i would say it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it if they find it beautiful. Could be in the range of 900. or a bit more -- not unreasonable for a good artist's painting.

This has got to be one of the strangest threads I have ever read on the Grumble (and that, my friends, is saying a lot!).

;)

I have never seen so many first-time posters!

go to you any good book store and in your school library . you can get it

Al%20in%20Concert%20Web.jpg

To Baygoods, I know this thread is very old bit I'm looking for a Sue Parkhill Painting. Please let me know if you still have one available. Thank you!!!

I have one Sue Parkhill painting that has been in my personal collection for 35 years. The one I have I love, but it certainly was not my favorite that I sold over a half dozen years from my gallery. I am pretty certain that "Sue Parkhill" was an alias, for another artist. During the 80's multiple artists produced work using various methods including oil silk screen techniques that were enhanced and sold in a mass market way. I met some of the actual artists during that time frame and new them by their real names as well. Sue Parkhill was not among them.
About ten years ago, a dear friend and extremely talented artist had a small shop where even then preprinted canvases would come in and she and her helpers would paint over them adding the details, the highlights, the touches that would bring them alive and make them pop. I am sure that production art is still being produced more than you know. That while a huge amount is produced in the Asia, much is still being enhanced here.
I have been a gallerist for over 35 years, had multiple galleries, and worked both as an artist/designer as well as being an arts advocate for over 45 years.
As such I have run multiple arts festivals, judged hundreds of shows, viewed thousands of paintings by multiple hundreds of artists. And to date I still have found few seascape artists whose work I love as much as the better Sue Parkhill's. So in conclusion I still love my Sue Parkhill, I still hanging it in my office or home, right along with other artists who I have know for years or appreciate.
As a gallerist my advise is to buy work that speaks to you, that makes you dream, that carries you away, that inspres you. Decades later this seascape still inspires me.

I have one Sue Parkhill painting that has been in my personal collection for 35 years. The one I have I love, but it certainly was not my favorite that I sold over a half dozen years from my gallery. I am pretty certain that "Sue Parkhill" was an alias, for another artist. During the 80's multiple artists produced work using various methods including oil silk screen techniques that were enhanced and sold in a mass market way. I met some of the actual artists during that time frame and new them by their real names as well. Sue Parkhill was not among them.
About ten years ago, a dear friend and extremely talented artist had a small shop where even then preprinted canvases would come in and she and her helpers would paint over them adding the details, the highlights, the touches that would bring them alive and make them pop. I am sure that production art is still being produced more than you know. That while a huge amount is produced in the Asia, much is still being enhanced here.
I have been a gallerist for over 35 years, had multiple galleries, and worked both as an artist/designer as well as being an arts advocate for over 45 years.
As such I have run multiple arts festivals, judged hundreds of shows, viewed thousands of paintings by multiple hundreds of artists. And to date I still have found few seascape artists whose work I love as much as the better Sue Parkhill's. So in conclusion I still love my Sue Parkhill, I still hanging it in my office or home, right along with other artists who I have know for years or appreciate.
As a gallerist my advise is to buy work that speaks to you, that makes you dream, that carries you away, that inspres you. Decades later this seascape still inspires me.
Hi, Black Topper. Welcome to the Grumble! :)

Hello All, I stumbled upon this thread a couple months ago. I have a Sue Parkhill I would like to sell and thought I would see what kind of response would be forthcoming from ye grumblers before I put it out to the general public. The canvas size is 20x24. The frame measures 27.75 x 31.75. The frame has some surface scuffs, but the painting itself is in very good condition. Photos below.

Attachments

• IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi TCG, and welcome to the G.
Best you start your own thread and post pictures of what you need help with.
Click on "Forums" at the top left and look at your choices.
Good luck with your search!

Hi, I'm desperate to find out information on this wooden Western art that I found in the dumpster!
Welcome to the G

Please start your own thread. This post will get buried as your post is not related to the subject of the original post. If you post it on its own, with the photo, you will probably get better and more answers

Back