Long frame length

picture framing clamps by MasterClamp 2021

Sandy G

Grumbler in Training
Business
penrith
Hi, I am new to framing & have a cassese cs55. I need to cut a length of 1120mm & the measuring guide goes up to 1030mm with it continuing further on the top. I know there must be a logical way to do this but I can't see it! Can anyone help please?

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Add an offset shoe to the right support. An offset shoe is a dogleg that can be homemade with a strip of mat board and a block of wood as an example. It is clamped to the support and the distance between the end of the thin strip and the beginning of the wood stop (you have to measure) is added to the length of the gauge markings that already exist on the support. The shoe is clamped to the support so it does not move.

Ex: you have a 300mm gap between the end of the thin strip and the wood block. you want to measure 1120mm. you set the end of the thin strip at 1020mm.

Last edited:

alacrity8

Forum Donor
Add an offset shoe to the right support. An offset shoe is a dogleg that can be homemade with a strip of mat board and a block of wood as an example. It is clamped to the support and the distance between the end of the thin strip and the beginning of the wood stop (you have to measure) is added to the length of the gauge markings that already exist on the support. The shoe is clamped to the support so it does not move.

Ex: you have a 300mm gap between the end of the thin strip and the wood block. you want to measure 1120mm. you set the end of the thin strip at 780mm.
I'm not sure I am following this description.
Can you share a picture?

alacrity8

Forum Donor
Hi, I am new to framing & have a cassese cs55. I need to cut a length of 1120mm & the measuring guide goes up to 1030mm with it continuing further on the top. I know there must be a logical way to do this but I can't see it! Can anyone help please?
My normal method of cutting something larger than my measuring guide is to first cut a length to a smaller size.
If the frame is, just to pick a number, 800 mm by 1120, I would cut a 800 mm side first.
Then measure the outside, subtract the 800 mm, and this is the difference between outside and inside measurement.
Add the difference to 1120, and use this new number to mark the outside of your frame stock.
I usually will use masking or painters tape to mark the length, and then cut to the tape.

Springlock and Easel Backs by Craft Inc

CHolt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Register for the picture framer's grumble
Take off the measuring stop. Cut the first miter. Mark the rabbet with a pencil, you will need a helper to hold the tape to the first miter, tell them to hold the tape "on the one (inch)" to their end of the rabbet and to call out, "on the one" when it's in position, remember to add that one inch on your end when you pencil in the mark, alternately they can set the tape "on the ten" and you add ten. Rough cut the second miter close to the mark and make nibbling cuts until you reach the mark.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired
Cut the short sides first then measure what you have left, deduct your 1120mm from that and set your stop to the difference, MINUS a bit, then trim to size.

Then see about an extension for your right hand arm/scale as the length you require isn't really very long at all.

Sandy G

Grumbler in Training
Business
penrith
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am going to give them a try this weekend

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding