• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Lining a Frame Rebate?

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

jbear

Grumbler in Training
Business
framer and gilder
Hi there! I've never posted here before! So hello. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience lining the rebates if their frames with tape such as ph7 or brown tape? And what the advantages are?

I was recently framing a couple of paper works for a client who wanted them unmounted in a box frame. Unfortunately when the frame went together the pictures bowed (convex) in the frame, supposedly from the pressure of the pinning. I've not seen this happen before.
Wondering if lining the spacer and rebate might help allow more freedom of movement?
Any thoughts?
Thank you for any advice!

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Welcome to the G!
You have two separate issues.
Lining the rebate (rabbet) with a metalized tape (AKA Frame Sealing Tape) is for restricting acid migration from the wood into the frame package. I don't believe it has anything to do with how the framed item reacts to being tightly held. If the tape does not have a metal component, it will not be an effective vapor barrier.

Unmounted paper art, straight fit into a frame, will eventually buckle from environmental changes, though the tightness of the framer points (pinning) can exacerbate the issue. You might try a looser pinning and see if it helps, but the general consensus in the preservation framing world is to avoid straight fitting of paper-borne art.

jbear

Grumbler in Training
Business
framer and gilder
Thank you for getting back to me! I sensed that it might not help.
I'll try lighter pinning in this case to give the paper room to breathe and hope that helps!

jbear

Grumbler in Training
Business
framer and gilder
And interestingly enough I worked in a museum where I'm sure they lined the frame with a brown tape or sometimes velvet. The metal component is new to me. Although I have seen similar tapes on PEL site.
Thanks again.

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
When I am driving the frame points in I put a piece of 2ply mat under the point gun.
That makes a consistent gap that lessens the pressure in the framing package.
Pretty sure I picked up that tip from someone here on the Grumble several years ago.

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
There is a frame sealing tape that has a copper foil as opposed to the aluminum foil in the frame sealing tape I use on a regular basis. That may have been the tape the museum was using. Felt tape or expanded foam tape (Volara) is used to prevent the art from sticking to the rabbet.
IMG_0357.jpg Here is some of the copper foil tape. The aluminum foil tape has a light blue paper face.

jbear

Grumbler in Training
Business
framer and gilder
When I am driving the frame points in I put a piece of 2ply mat under the point gun.
That makes a consistent gap that lessens the pressure in the framing package.
Pretty sure I picked up that tip from someone here on the Grumble several years ago.
That makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much!

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System