liners

ice

Grumbler
Can someone explain how to make a frame within a frame? What do you use to attached the inner molding to the outer moulding? Thanks

If the inner frame is narrow, I shoot nails straight through the inner rabbet into the outer frame. If the inner frame is wide and extends out from the outer frame, I shoot nails diagonally through the base of the inner frame into the rabbet of the outer frame - be careful about angle and nail length so as not to come through the front of the outer frame. If the inner frame is shallower than the outer frame, you can use the same methods or just use frame points. I always set and hold the spacing with mat scrap shims while nailing. You can also use offset clamps, but you then have to worry about protruding screws if used with a shallower inner frame.

Pat :D

has anyone ever used a filletmaster by fletcher to cut the liners? I know it is used for fillets around the mat but what about a double frame?

Welcome to the grumble Ice!
I think I know what your asking... I'll just tell you how to do the whole thing so I don't leave out anything so take what you need & leave what you don't. Anyway, It's probably much harder to use the filletmaster. I would cut the inner frame on your chopper/saw at the size you need the frame to be. Then when it is all glued together measure the outside of the frame and then cut the second frame to that size. When both frames are finished put the inner frame inside of the outer frame. If the back of the inner frame comes up higher than the outer use offsets and if it is lower than it use framers points.

Good luck!
Angie

Leave it to a CPF. And if you want something just a little bit easier than off-sets, get a Fletcher YELLOW Gun (Multipoint). Shoot it into the side of the higher frame and run a screw through the screw-hole. Very low profile. Very nice.
thumbsup.gif

What do you mean by a Fletcher YELLOW gun (mulitpoint). Sorry - I am a novice but I have a lot of design ideas I am interested in doing.

Its a yellow gun that looks just like a point gun but it shoots out flexible points that are wider than regular points and they have a hole in each one for a screw to go in. So you can shoot one into a frame or canvas and then screw down the point.

you guys rock - now I know how to do it. There's a particular design I want to do and haven't been able to figure it out. Thanks all! I have to find one of those multimaster guns now.

A less elegant but serviceable workaround if you do not have a multimaster is to shoot in regular points and then use staples in lieu of screws. The staples straddle the points.

Ice--go crazy! The options are limitless! Stacking frames is fun, and can create a great one of a kind look. Don't limit yourself! Extentions can be put in metal frames. Metal frames can be put inside wood ones!
Go get your samples and start mixing and matching!
Have fun and Happy Framing!
Elsa

Back