linen mats

territx

Grumbler in Training
Please Help! I'm having trouble with fraying threads on the linen mats. Since the project is a 4 window mat, I'm hesitant to cut into the third one without guidance. (I did change the blade to 8 ply) Thx. T.

We thin down some Elmer's with water (about 5 parts water to 1 part glue) and brush it on the edges with a small brush when we get 'whiskers'.It doesn't show and keeps things in place...

My experience is that linen mats always fray....it seems its the nature of the beast. I always use a new, sharp blade. Once I finish cutting, I use a very small, slightly curved scissors (used to cut baby's finger nails) to trim the frays. When my artwork is in place and I'm ready to put the glazing on, I check once again to see if a last trim is needed (manipulating the matboard can cause more fraying).

I always have the desire to put a coat of clear nailpolish over the bevelled edge after I've trimmed the frays (to keep more from happening).......OFCOURSE THAT WOULD BE A NO-NO!!

Sorry I don't have any miracle cures.......perhaps someone else will. But in the meantime, WELCOME TO TG TXTERRI ;)

territx, The best way is to lay the fabric <u>after</u> you cut the windows... then when you fold the fabric inside, you trap almost all that fray..

just a tiny pin-end dot in the corners will tame those last three thread ends..

[ 12-19-2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Baer Charlton ]

Baer.......I might be the one confused here, but I thought she was cutting a Crescent or Bainbridge linen mat (not doing a linen wrap).

??????

'tis the season........

Oh, she probably was... she'll learn. :D Maybe if I'm really masacistic, I'll get off the plane from London to Portland, re-pack and go down and teach fabric wrapping at Three Stars over Texas again this year...
faintthud.gif

In a similar manner to Ellen's but less moist, I rub my finger on a glue stick to just pick up a trace amount, and gently rub across any stray edge fibers. It does a nice job of securing them but with no risk of waterstaining the fabric.
:cool: Rick

Some glues will discolor over time, so I would be careful about using them where they would be visible or in close proximity to anything valuable.

Lineco's acid free PVA would be a good product to water down instead of Elmer's. And ordinary starch paste, such as the Nori we use for hinging also works.

I always wrap them. Cut a reverse bevel just throught the board, peel away the board, cut throught the fabric from the corners with a knife and wrap.

come on Baer to Texas!!!!! I did my first linen wrapped mat today...and it looks great...pretty proud of myself. I sure like wrapping mats cause I still struggle with the overcuts sometimes.

Sherry, their going to have to talk tall and hard..

3 Stars is in WaxyHatchet, or something like that; and I get back two days before from lecturing in London, so I'll probably look like my passport.

One advantage of the Linco PVA that Jim mentioned,
is the fact that it is buffered with calcium
carbonate, to keep it pH neutral in the long run.
Starch paste, too, is a good choice.

Hugh

WaxeyHatchet????????? LOL Come on to Texas darlin' and I'll teach you how to speak Texan and while you are here, you can have a total brain download on framing ...of course with all you know and all that I don't know...that could take a while.......but hey....you don't have to have a passport to come into Texas
Sherry

Sherry, is the exchange rate better if I change my mind here, or wait untill I get to TX? :D

I think you need to talk to Don Berkman about my coming....

As for the passport, I already have a multi entry stamp from TX.

Umm.. Baer, why do you need a multiple entry visa for Texas? The Mexicans coming in from south of the border don't even need that! You wasted your time and money!

Terry. How do you control cutting through just the mat board and not the linnen. If you go too deep in just one place, won't that ruin the mat?

Happy times!

Bill

Its all in the legs. No, wait, thats my fastball. Just set the blade depth carefully. If it doesn't cut through the first part it shouldn't cut through anywhere. The thickness of the mat and the blade depth don't vary. I've always done this, starting with manual cutters (not the guy from tex-mex) and now on my Wizard. It's okay to leave some paper backing, you don't have to cut all the way to the fabric just nearly. Some boards are more work than others but it's not that hard.

Baer, you know, production is 100% of reality.
BTW(buy this way) Falcon is closed this week, glad the folks at Franks are selfless hard workers with no life like me.

Yes, it's a good habit of thiers....

It's called "getting ready for the Vegas Show"....

and coming out with about 60 new fabrics... but you didn't hear that from me.. :D

Thanks for all replys, I've experimented with cutting through the backing board and wrapping the linen to the inside, looks great but don't ever care to use this method with a 4 or 6 window opening.

I'm way out in the wilds of extreme southwest Tx., closer to Mexico than anywhere in the U.S., not a huge client base but a gorgeous place to live.

If you can build in the charge for the extra time involved it's the only wat to go as far as appearance is concerned. I don't care how many openings or what shape as long as I'm getting paid the more the merrier. I don't find it any more difficult than entirely hand wrapped, you should price the same is all.

Back