Lifesaver square foot glass pricing

Frances M.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I am moving my glass prices on Lifesaver from per lite to square foot. I am taking my current (but not yet updated) retail prices and adjusting markups so that I am not reducing prices but staying about even. That way, in theory, I can reduce my inventory of glass to sizes well utilized with multiple cuts and will be able to more easily update my costs by plugging in a square foot cost per category and not having to wade through all the costs per lite.

Anyhoo, this is going well except for the very small sizes, regular glass in particular. Is there a way to set a minimum price or do I just finagle the cost to be higher for say a 5 x 7. Rather than marking it up like 20 times, just start by making the per sq. foot high enough so that when it is multiplied by .24 square feet and then marked up it is more than like $1.75?

I realize that I make things more complicated than they should be but math is not my language and I get very easily bogged down with pretty simple stuff.

FWIW We m always used a 'what size lite does it come out of' by setting pricing individually. A 16x36 vs 16x37 lite costs are significantly different but retail is virtually identical using sq ft or UI. Can't remember how it was programed but we did it on Lifesaver

Personal opinion: Pricing is one of the most important decisions one makes in any biz. This industry, more than any I am aware, abdicates that decision to software.

I do united inch with a minimum. I've tried square foot and by lite but went back to UI, it just seems that I have a little better control of overall lite pricing this way.

We do the same as Bob Carter, and price most types by the lite/size it is cut from. This not only allows you to specify a higher markup for smaller pieces, but also lets you specify what you are cutting from - to take care of the potential waste factor. (depending what sizes you buy personally, and how much of that will be waste vs stock) For example, if you was cutting a 26x36 out of a 32x40, you can specify the 32x40 cost in your chart. If pricing by other methods, it might charge less.

For (premium+) types of glazing sold only by SF through our supplier, we price it the same way that we buy it. (by SF)

Thats the beauty of a POS, is that you can price it several different ways.

Like Bob implied, it is just like a manual system in the sense that you need to understand how pricing works and to review it periodically to make sure you are meeting your goals. It's not a "set it and forget it" thing, for sure. Yea, Mouldings, Mats, and Fabrics pretty much take care of themselves once you have your markup formula, via auto price updates.... But Labor, Specials, and Glazing do NOT self adjust, and require semi annual(?) review. One you have a grasp of how you want to price, and feed that info/update the computer, it is a quick and easy tool at the counter.

hi Mike I think Paul did a minor tweak for us to do that, but it was years ago

very good points that are really easily managed

For LS when I put my original prices in for my wholesale pricing, I added to my purchase price to "pre-adjust" for any manufacturer price increases. almost like setting the retail moulding prices for chop when I purchase length. I can always "change or discount" a price, but it is harder to "raise a price" when dealing with the retail customer. (and, it can be a bit of a closing the sale technique when needed...)

I just started to price by the sheet it was cut from, and find it much better. Thanks, G.

The way I have done it on my spread sheet is a price per square metre + a cut charge, that's for all sizes.
if a very small piece works out at only £1 then that is £1+£4 for cutting, a larger bit might be £10 + £4 for cutting and so on, this works well.
the same thing can be done with mats too or any sheet material for that matter, to be honest it also works for mouldings it's like a small labour charge on each component :)

Just posting for the sake of posting.

Back