Leaving Scottsdale, Last 2 Frames

Woodworks by John

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Business
Retired, work from home shop
A number of you have been following our Scottsdale Adventure that my wife and I embarked on 6 months ago. Her to take advantage of the Scottsdale Artists' School and me to take a break from furniture work and concentrate on carving and oil gilding. Our 6 months is up but we plan to re-locate here from Las Vegas. I'd like to share the final two frames I came up with here and get your critique and comments if you care to do that. The first one with all of the swirls was inspired by an old carving book by Charles Marshall Sayers. Here's a link to my blog about how the carving was accomplished: https://woodworksbyjohn.com/2016/06/13/final-scottsdale-frame/ This frame is 12" x 12" and is fashioned from Foster Planing Mills molding #95. The undercoat is a yellow burnisher/sealer and this time I tried oil paints thinned with Gamasol for the toning.

The second frame is fashioned from the same molding but this time I wanted to have a design that bridged western and art deco elements; not sure it succeeded but, you tell me! It too is from the same Foster molding, measures 11" x 14", and has a red burnisher/sealer undercoat. It was hitting 115+ the week I gilded this one so there were more faults and cracking, at least that's the excuse I'm using. It's titled the 9/10 frame since I needed to purchase a #9 sweep, 10mm gouge to divided the space evenly. Here's a link to the blog on how this frame design evolved: https://woodworksbyjohn.com/2016/06/23/last-scottsdale-frame-910-design/

As always, your comments are appreciated. As a woodworker I tend to work in a vacuum so your input is always welcome. Next big challenge is how to price these out, any suggestions?
ScottsdaleFrame 9-10-CornerDetail - 1.jpg
ScottsdaleFrame 9-10-Overall - 1.jpg
ScottsdaleFrame-CustomCarve-CornerDetail - 1 (1).jpg
ScottsdaleFrame-CustomCarve-CornerDetail - 1.jpg

Back