• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Donmar Creations

Larson-Juhl Micro-Rant

David Waldmann

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
You don't understand temporary frustration with poor communication?

You don't understand being perfectly happy with the quality of products from a company, but not being happy with a lack of honesty?

Sure, I'll go and take the time to pull a third of my samples out from a company I've done business with for 20 years because their communication stinks for the past 6 weeks. Completely rational David, thanks for your input.
Apparently I misunderstood this:

They are the bottom of the barrel for me ...
When I get to the bottom of the barrel I dump it.

Gilder

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I am tired of this Micro-Rant.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Apparently I misunderstood this:

When I get to the bottom of the barrel I dump it.

they are bottom of the barrel of my vendors in regards to post shutdown response. Joe was saying that all of his vendors are having an equally bad time. That's not the case for me. Roma, South Star, Decor/Southern, Fotiou while having understandable one or two day delays, have been doing well enough.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
I am tired of this Micro-Rant.
What is your preference:
  • Itsy bitsy teenie weenie rant
  • Macro rant
  • Normal rant
  • Large rant
  • XL rant
  • 2XL rant
  • Mega rant
  • Juggernaut rant
I could start a poll but really I don't see the point.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Enough is enough. framewrightscf has belonged to this forum for 3 years and according to his history has never posted until now. And all have posts have been a part of this thread; more than 20 by my count. We welcome everyone that has something to contribute. I don't further posturing in this thread is contributing anything at all to this forum. You've made your point. Time to move on.

Picture framers only resource

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I am saving every one of my delivery problems and banking them for future favors. I have been in a storefront for 25 years now and worked at home ten years before that.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a vendor--LJ included--has made a mistake of any kind. I need all of my fingers and toes several times to count my mistakes that resulted in intervention by vendors to keep me out of real trouble. As often as not, the vendor ate the additional expense.

I can't remember a single time that a vendor grumbled at me when I called for the third time or otherwise needed help keeping a customer happy.

My guess is that most vendors are bleeding money right now. Thankfully, they have the resources to weather this storm and return to profitability. I think it is ok to blow off some steam, but it is worth remembering that they are the middlemen/women who make it possible for us to be profitable with a nominal amount of inventory. Without them, a lot of us would not last long.

The thought of motor freight delivery of pallets of matboard, moulding, and glass leaves me in mortal terror. I would have to consider shutting down before entering that level of debt in my small shop.

A lot of these delivery problems seem to be related to not having control of the delivery channels. USPS, UPS and FEDEX are all operating with new and temporary drivers.

All of the vendors I deal with were telling me from day one that this was going to be a long haul and there were going to be lots of problems.

It may sound like a cliche, but it is very important that we all get through this tough time together and with the relationships that we have spent decades building intact.

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I just received my first LJ order since shutdown.
It was all there, even the box moulding that I expected to take longer.

I don’t have an LJ designated driver anymore. Gosh I miss Mark!
But the courier was there early, courteous and nice.

I hope all suppliers can get back to their normal and have all the employees they need

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
I am saving every one of my delivery problems and banking them for future favors. I have been in a storefront for 25 years now and worked at home ten years before that...
Well said.

Gilder

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Itsy bitsy teenie weenie rant
I like that.
And I feel better now, after having a glass of two buck Chuck, a cigar and a few hours of peace and quiet.
Anyway, I went to pick up my orders to Chicago 4 times, that is 3 hours one way without complaining much.
No big deal, just chill out, it will get better soon.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Enough is enough. framewrightscf has belonged to this forum for 3 years and according to his history has never posted until now. And all have posts have been a part of this thread; more than 20 by my count. We welcome everyone that has something to contribute. I don't further posturing in this thread is contributing anything at all to this forum. You've made your point. Time to move on.

Thanks forum police

according to my history I posted in 2017

sorry for rustling all of your buddies

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
What is your preference:
  • Itsy bitsy teenie weenie rant
  • Macro rant
  • Normal rant
  • Large rant
  • XL rant
  • 2XL rant
  • Mega rant
  • Juggernaut rant
I could start a poll but really I don't see the point.
Before answering, a few questions:

1) Are said rants standard or metric?

2) Are they people rants or dog rants? If the latter, does this make each individual rant 1/7th, or 7 times, as long as a human rant?

3) There is no third.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Thanks forum police
according to my history I posted in 2017
sorry for rustling all of your buddies

There is no "Forum Police".
The forum is more open today than it was even in the past.

"rustling all of your buddies"....?:shrug:
I've only been framing for 51 years now and I'm still working full time in a high volume, high end shop with 100% 5 star reviews, 80 of them, but what do I know.?.:cool:

Last edited:

framewrightscf

Grumbler
There is no "Forum Police".
The forum is more open today than it was even in the past.

"rustling all of your buddies"....?:shrug:
I've only been framing for 51 years now and I'm still working full time in a high volume, high end shop with 100% 5 star reviews, 80 of them, but what do I know.?.:cool:
That's all laudable, but I wasn't addressing you and don't know why you're addressing me?

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
If this thread makes it to two hundred posts, can we rename it 'Rant-O-Matic'?

'Get your Ronco Rant-O-Matic on the Grumble, while supplies last!'

That's all I want for Christmas*.

(*unless your name is Dirk).

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I don't actually find the mini-rants here a bother. The regular-size rants, either.

It's a stressful time, and even with perspective, dealing with disappointments is frustrating. But what do I know? I'm only the owner of Larson Juhl.

Just kidding.

If I was, things would be going a lot differently. Free strawberry shortcakes, and a pony with every order.

Back to reality:

framewrightcsf, I'm glad you're here. I hope you stick around. And when things get better, I hope you keep posting. :)

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
framewrightcsf, I'm glad you're here. I hope you stick around. And when things get better, I hope you keep posting. :)
Yes, please stick around and keep posting. We don't always agree with each other but we always seem to work it out and stay friends. Your opinions are appreciated. :beer:

framewrightscf

Grumbler
thanks all. I'll do my best to continue to update on our experience good or bad. hopefully more good. I really want Larson to be successful as we all benefit when they are doing well. it's also interesting to hear the different experiences with them regionally. keep it coming.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
thanks all. I'll do my best to continue to update on our experience good or bad. hopefully more good. I really want Larson to be successful as we all benefit when they are doing well. it's also interesting to hear the different experiences with them regionally. keep it coming.
That might be true, the regional differences. I’m in MA, received my very first normal truck delivery on Friday. You are certainly not the only one I heard expressing frustration.
So I was prepared to get only partial shipment.

Maybe they worked out the kinks, as we were among the last state to get deliveries.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Kyle Henson

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
In New Orleans I've received two deliveries now from LJ. There were minor issues with both. A couple back ordered items that showed in stock online but B/O's upon delivery. A join that had the right sticker on it but the wrong frame inside. Nothing dramatic and I hope it stays that way. Our twice weekly schedule went to once weekly and frankly I don't see it ever going back to twice a week. We'll see.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Call wait times still took a while last week. I also placed an order online. One joined frame from the call in order that was supposed to be in stock ended up being backordered, which I only discovered after it didn't arrive. Still working on figuring that out.

The online ordering system was fairly straightforward and seemed to reroute anything that was out of stock. However, once I placed the order one item simply went on backorder instead of redirecting. That's one reason I prefer speaking to a person instead of going through an online system.

Everything else that arrived last week was in good shape!

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I am glad that things are starting to get better for you and hope that this is the start of a turn around for you so things go smoothly again.

I started using LJ's online order system as soon as it was available. I like being able to make my orders after the doors are closed.

In the fine print under the product you are ordering, you should see the amount of inventory and where it is. This can help you see when things are likely to be delayed or going to have to ship from a location more distant than your regular warehouse.

This may not have anything to do with your backorder situation but I did not notice this feature for a while and it has been helpful to me since I did.

If you do need to call, the phone reps can see your online order and answer questions about it or make changes.

LJ has a great online ordering system that rivals that of major retailers. I am not excusing any of the problems you have experienced, but they have invested heavily in support systems and marketing.

They are sharing their market research with framers, which no vendor has ever done before that I know of. Since the industry does not have a vibrant trade association that does research this is a huge gift.

I think they take a long view and that sometimes it catches them unprepared. But I don't think anybody was prepared for recent events. I know that in my town, most everybody is just figuring out how to do business again, me included.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
I am glad that things are starting to get better for you and hope that this is the start of a turn around for you so things go smoothly again.

I started using LJ's online order system as soon as it was available. I like being able to make my orders after the doors are closed.

In the fine print under the product you are ordering, you should see the amount of inventory and where it is. This can help you see when things are likely to be delayed or going to have to ship from a location more distant than your regular warehouse.

This may not have anything to do with your backorder situation but I did not notice this feature for a while and it has been helpful to me since I did.

If you do need to call, the phone reps can see your online order and answer questions about it or make changes.

LJ has a great online ordering system that rivals that of major retailers. I am not excusing any of the problems you have experienced, but they have invested heavily in support systems and marketing.

They are sharing their market research with framers, which no vendor has ever done before that I know of. Since the industry does not have a vibrant trade association that does research this is a huge gift.

I think they take a long view and that sometimes it catches them unprepared. But I don't think anybody was prepared for recent events. I know that in my town, most everybody is just figuring out how to do business again, me included.

I got through to customer service. Their call time today is much improved.

They were able to resolve the issues. They are routing the chop from another warehouse for the join I need to the local warehouse and then joining it there for delivery next week.

That's exactly the type of quality service I expect from Larson!

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
That's exactly the type of quality service I expect from Larson!
[/QUOTE]

For what it is worth, they have their act together way ahead of me. :)

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
They are sharing their market research with framers, which no vendor has ever done before that I know of.
Correction/addition. They are sharing it with anyone, including their competitors (real or imagined).

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have been ordering online since it became available.
When you look up the item, there is a little “i” button for information. When you click that, I can see inventory from my main warehouse, as well as one other.

When you put all items in your shopping cart, you can select “check inventory”. It shows everything from the warehouse you get it from.

The online system is very good, although there is room for improvement.

I received my second order since lockdown and everything was there.

I rarely have to call them, so am not aware of wait times for customer service.

I've been trying to start an account with Larson since I opened in March. My patience has come and gone in waves.... but I FINALLY GOT A CALL BACK TODAY!!! YAAAYYY!!!!! The rep seemed supremely nice and helpful. He was very forthcoming about needing to expect the odd delay since manufacturing had shut down for a while as well, but honestly, any customer I've had a delay on due to supplier issues has been completely understanding. I'd argue he was one of the most personable reps I've met yet--we probably spent an hour just talking about the industry and the area. I am so excited to do business with them!

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Correction/addition. They are sharing it with anyone, including their competitors (real or imagined).
I have been thinking about this all day. This seems to be a new level of transparency even from LJ. I may have rose-colored glasses, but I am hopeful that it is the beginning of more cooperation from the segments of our tiny industry.

wvframer

Humble Picture Framer
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Yeah, I mean you haven't even picked an Avatar yet!! :faintthud: :beer:
You don't like my W? I thought it was presidential and everybody else with a W was copying me!