• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Larson-Juhl Micro-Rant

David Waldmann

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Part of it may be the additional $600 per week federal unemployment payment that is keeping people from coming back to work.
This is Bologna. MAYBE things are slipping through the cracks BUT:

In the USA, as far as I know in every state, when you lay someone off they can collect unemployment, When you offer them to come back, there are two choices:
1. Take the job
2. Quit

Once you QUIT you no longer are eligible for unemployment.

(in case you didn't get it - that was "period, end of statement)

framewrightscf

Grumbler
This is Bologna. MAYBE things are slipping through the cracks BUT:

In the USA, as far as I know in every state, when you lay someone off they can collect unemployment, When you offer them to come back, there are two choices:
1. Take the job
2. Quit

Once you QUIT you no longer are eligible for unemployment.

(in case you didn't get it - that was "period, end of statement)

Which would require bringing on all new staff and training them if they choose option 2. Which would then leave an option 3 of, do the best you can until you convince your employee to return.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Just a random rambling.

LJ has done some great things in this situation, and some not-so-great things as well.

Consider this: I don't know any human, or human-based company that is or was perfect (after the age of accountability) other than Jesus Christ.

One thing I am VERY sure of, is that LJ is counting on indie framers to succeed in this event, as they are their life-blood. As implied above, no, they probably have not handled every situation to the best possible outcome. Let me ask you - have you? I'm sure I haven't.

I suggest we cut everyone three times (or more, if you're really uptight) slack than you normally would. Remember - nobody but Amazon and UPS* are banking in this event.

*and mask & sanitizer producers, etc. But get my drift.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Which would require bringing on all new staff and training them if they choose option 2. Which would then leave an option 3 of, do the best you can until you convince your employee to return.
I think you're missing the point. If you offer them return to employment and they refuse it, THEY NO LONGER ARE ELIGIBLE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT.

Which negates
Part of it may be the additional $600 per week federal unemployment payment that is keeping people from coming back to work.
In my business there is no option 3. If they quit, they quit. If someone quit because they could make more on unemployment than working for me I would be very hard pressed to hire them again, even at starting wages. I don't need/want that kind of negativity. I'd rather be a one-person operation than having people like that working for me.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Just a random rambling.

LJ has done some great things in this situation, and some not-so-great things as well.

Consider this: I don't know any human, or human-based company that is or was perfect (after the age of accountability) other than Jesus Christ.

One thing I am VERY sure of, is that LJ is counting on indie framers to succeed in this event, as they are their life-blood. As implied above, no, they probably have not handled every situation to the best possible outcome. Let me ask you - have you? I'm sure I haven't.

I suggest we cut everyone three times (or more, if you're really uptight) slack than you normally would. Remember - nobody but Amazon and UPS* are banking in this event.

What slack is there to cut? I am at the mercy of their lack of preparedness. Larson-Juhl controls the frames they supply. If a customer selects a Larson-Juhl frame, they are going to wait until Larson-Juhl can figure it out.

Roma, Decor, South Star, International to name a few have not had these extreme issues. The problem is Larson-Juhl overpromising and underdelivering.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

framewrightscf

Grumbler
I think you're missing the point. If you offer them return to employment and they refuse it, THEY NO LONGER ARE ELIGIBLE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT.

Which negates

In my business there is no option 3. If they quit, they quit. If someone quit because they could make more on unemployment than working for me I would be very hard pressed to hire them again, even at starting wages. I don't need/want that kind of negativity. I'd rather be a one-person operation than having people like that working for me.

Do you have a large amount of low wage workers on your payroll that already experiences a high amount of turnover?

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Just a random rambling.

You are right.
Very few were prepared for the level of disruption this event has caused.
Some people (businesses) have been more resilient or better able to react or change operations than others.
Pobody's Nerfect. :shrug:

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Do you have a large amount of low wage workers on your payroll that already experiences a high amount of turnover?
I don't understand the relevance. But no. We have a relatively low amount of pretty high-wage workers if that that makes any difference. Why, do YOU have a large amount of low wage workers on your payroll that already experiences a high amount of turnover?

framewrightscf

Grumbler
I don't understand the relevance. But no. We have a relatively low amount of pretty high-wage workers if that that makes any difference. Why, do YOU have a large amount of low wage workers on your payroll that already experiences a high amount of turnover?
you said it was bologna, even though it might not be for a large corporate outfit that already struggled to maintain their low wage workforce.

who cares if you would kick your employees to the curb and do everything yourself? I've been in the situation of being the only worker by myself in the past, but that has no bearing on a large company like Larson Juhl. Unless you think upper management is going down to the warehouse to do the job themselves if their employees decide to take another job or just stay home.

The federal PUA of $600 is also available apart from state unemployment.

For example, you may qualify for PUA if you can't work because you've been diagnosed with the virus; you're directed by a health authority to quarantine; you're providing care to a sick household member; you have to take care of a child at home while school or child-care facilities are shut down due to the pandemic; you have an underlying medical condition that prevents you from working; and so on.

Comparing my micro business where I have a relationship with my well paid employees to low wage workers at a corporate warehouse doesn't work.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
For example, you may qualify for PUA if you can't work because you've been diagnosed with the virus; you're directed by a health authority to quarantine; you're providing care to a sick household member; you have to take care of a child at home while school or child-care facilities are shut down due to the pandemic; you have an underlying medical condition that prevents you from working; and so on.
I don't know of a single employer that would WANT an employee to come back to work in those conditions. Then again, that situation is pretty rare...

Donmar Creations

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Not really David. Our employer is not back yet either. We can’t pay him what he is making on unemployment. Of course we can force him back.
His wife has terminal cancer. His two daughters are in college. We will just wait until he is ready to come back. We hope he will.
It is difficult enough to find loyal employees. We need our well checked, annual maintenance. We are on a waitlist, as there are not enough employees willing to work.

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Not really David. Our employer is not back yet either. We can’t pay him what he is making on unemployment. Of course we can force him back.
His wife has terminal cancer. His two daughters are in college. We will just wait until he is ready to come back. We hope he will.
It is difficult enough to find loyal employees. We need our well checked, annual maintenance. We are on a waitlist, as there are not enough employees willing to work.
Maybe I wasn't clear.

I am saying that if we have work that needs to be done, and we need an additional employee, our first call will be to someone we laid off. IF they have verified CV19 symptoms/testing, NO we don't want them to come back. If they don't have them, they are quitting, and we will look elsewhere. If, coincidentally, they have other personal issues that prevent them from coming back, I still have a business to run and will try and replace them.

I guess I'm not sure what I would do if I called someone back and they said "no thanks" and couldn't find anyone else. I've never been in that situation. The three times it's happened to me they have come back with less than 24 hours notice and been happy to have a job. If I looked for someone else, and, after X months still couldn't, and the ex-employee still wanted to come back - what would I do? Don't know, don't hope to ever be in that position. But my gut feeling is, if I offered you your job back and you preferred to get more money by sitting on your butt, take a hike, and not a hike to work at my business.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I understand your point of view.
But it becomes different when you actually are confronted with it. As I described above, we could demand him coming back.
Under the circumstances, we think that is the wrong thing to do.
We can manage for now. Plus we have a bus load of kids to help out if needed. Lol

tedh

Now that you mention it, my middle son is back from school, and he has gardened like crazy. Payback time! And we could not have moved out of our retail location of 21 years without all the kids and their partners. More payback!

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
LJ Seattle is up and running. They were on solid shut-down for several weeks, which likely saved lives. They were to re-open on June 3rd, so I ordered a couple of days ahead of time. The order arrived on the 3rd, in great shape.

Donmar Creations

Keith L Hewitt

Forum Donor
Shippers are ALL messed up right now, too, and it could be the responsible party.

I mailed something 25 miles away 22 days ago, via USPS, and it still didn't get there.
Mike, the envelope you sent me by regular airmail posted May 26th arrived in UK early June, that's pretty speedy .Must have come by air cargo.

Reading this thread really does make me smile .😁 How much time has been spent by each one of you having your little whinge 😆 ( is that the same as mini rant? ) typing away on here ? Just please STOP for a moment, put the PC / iPad to one side and think of other framers in other countries. In many small countries around the world there are NO DISTRIBUTORS ! All framers have to import almost all they need. And that usually means payment up front, long lead times, and needing a customs broker to clear the goods from the docks. These framers don't have any Forums to vent their frustrations. They simply get on with it.

So stop and think how lucky you are in USA/Canada to be able to expect such super service from a multitude of vendors..

nikodeumus

Mike, the envelope you sent me by regular airmail posted May 26th arrived in UK early June, that's pretty speedy .Must have come by air cargo.

Reading this thread really does make me smile .😁 How much time has been spent by each one of you having your little whinge 😆 ( is that the same as mini rant? ) typing away on here ? Just please STOP for a moment, put the PC / iPad to one side and think of other framers in other countries. In many small countries around the world there are NO DISTRIBUTORS ! All framers have to import almost all they need. And that usually means payment up front, long lead times, and needing a customs broker to clear the goods from the docks. These framers don't have any Forums to vent their frustrations. They simply get on with it.

So stop and think how lucky you are in USA/Canada to be able to expect such super service from a multitude of vendors..
Well said Keith. 👍

framewrightscf

Grumbler

Ah, yes, the classic starving kids in Africa guilt trip. As if it never dawned on any of the people airing complaints here that there are others who have it worse. Will you be mailing letters to the framers oversees telling them not to complain, because at least they HAVE a frame shop, unlike less fortunate places? Do you think these people don't complain? Spare me the sanctimony.

Larson-Juhl exists in our world and charges and does business based on the level of service they provide. When they fail to provide that level of service and do not communicate well, that erodes trust and they deserve to be called out for it.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Under normal circumstances I would agree with you but situation is far from normal today. And because of that I think
they are doing their best. We have to be patient.

maybe others have said otherwise upthread, but I specifically said it would be fine if they communicated that they were unable to complete orders until a certain time and then did so

Nurre Caxton said it would take them over a month when I called and that's fine

Larson-Juhl has shifted their goalposts so many times with me and doesn't even have the ability to return calls in a timely manner, that's my problem

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I have received many emails from LJ so feel I’m pretty much up to date with what is happening.
Their online ordering is superior. Of course I don’t know yet what will show up on Friday.
My new rep has gone out of his way to introduce h8 self, set up zoom meetings.
I feel that they are working hard to get back to high standards.

The call volume they are experiencing is insane. So yes, 8 do cut them, and others, a lot of slack. My customers have been very understanding and are just happy that I am open and will survive. I feel the same towards my suppliers.

Michael Slavin

Grumbler in Training
Does anybody know what is happening in Canada. We have been told that if it is not in stock in Toronto that they won't be ordering it in and we are to try Calgary or Vancouver?? We have never had to do this in the past??

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Just spoke with our driver. Great and honest guy who has been delivering to us for the last couple years. I congratulated him on being back to work. He wasn't exactly excited and I asked him if he was making more money before he was brought back, which he was. He said that only 4 of the 6 drivers out of his warehouse have been brought back AS A COST CUTTING MEASURE. He also stated that only half of the CSRs have been brought back AS A COST CUTTING MEASURE. So no wonder phone calls are not being answered or returned in a timely manner.

I asked him if all of the warehouse staff is back. He said no, and that quite a few have said they are not ready to come back yet because they are making more not coming to work. He said that they get put on the bottom of the list to be called back and if others are hired, they may be replaced. They would have to hire someone new and train them to replace them however. He also stated that the warehouse manager and another manager over him have been down on the floor working in order to fill the gaps left by workers not returning, so I did have that partly wrong, although I doubt upper level management is working the floor.

I expressed to him that setting expectations and not meeting them is more detrimental than being honest and saying it may be a while before we can get things out. He agreed and said he was sorry he can't do more to help customers as sometimes even he cannot get the warehouse on the phone when he is out. I told him I don't blame him or the people working hard at all and they are just doing their best, and he appreciated that. He said he has no problem being honest with customers and letting them know that it is f***** up right now and might not get better for a couple months until after the $600 PUA expires.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Does anybody know what is happening in Canada. We have been told that if it is not in stock in Toronto that they won't be ordering it in and we are to try Calgary or Vancouver?? We have never had to do this in the past??
I tried to order a few things out of our branch online and it was all zeroed out and everything is in Chicago. I think they have had issues distributing to all the branches.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
My delivery today was 95% OK. 2500 smakeroos worth of mostly acrylic and moulding. 1 4x8 sheet of UV acrylic was missing but everything else was spot on.

Picture framers only resource

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I don't know of a single vendor that is back to full force and doing what they were doing before the Covid-19 issue. I also don't know why so many of us are belly aching about Larson Juhl not being up to full force and are not responding like they use to, I believe they are and have responded to this crisis as well or better than many of the vendors. Lets get over it and accept the vendors for what they are doing, they aren't only trying to keep us supplied with product but also are also trying to keep us and their employees safe, they are walking a tight rope and many of us aren't even trying to understand. Get over it, explain to your customers that you cannot promise their orders will be done as quickly as before and explain to them why, I've been doing that and I have not had a single complaint from my customers. Oh, and another thing, don't believe everything that you hear from the delivery people and order takers, a few of them are not happy about being called back and will exaggerate what is really happening within their organizations. just my opinion.

Ylva

Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
I agree 100% Joe.

I have inventory. I’m adding actually more inventory. For the few customers who simply can’t wait, they will have to pick from stock on hand.
I have not had any customers who were angry or did not understand. Most are just very happy that I’m still in business and will survive this.

I do miss my hugs though....

nikodeumus

I'm glad you finally got some sort of communication from someone.
It doesn't make the problem go away, but hopefully talking about it will ease some of your frustration?

nikodeumus

This problem of people choosing not to return to work is difficult.
For some it is a way for a "free ride", but for many it is legitimate for several reasons.
I consider myself fortunate I am not in a situation where I have to make that decision.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
I don't know of a single vendor that is back to full force and doing what they were doing before the Covid-19 issue. I also don't know why so many of us are belly aching about Larson Juhl not being up to full force and are not responding like they use to, I believe they are and have responded to this crisis as well or better than many of the vendors. Lets get over it and accept the vendors for what they are doing, they aren't only trying to keep us supplied with product but also are also trying to keep us and their employees safe, they are walking a tight rope and many of us aren't even trying to understand. Get over it, explain to your customers that you cannot promise their orders will be done as quickly as before and explain to them why, I've been doing that and I have not had a single complaint from my customers. Oh, and another thing, don't believe everything that you hear from the delivery people and order takers, a few of them are not happy about being called back and will exaggerate what is really happening within their organizations. just my opinion.

For the millionth time, the problem is the lack of communication and deception. If you want to believe that Larson-Juhl is the greatest thing since sliced bread, good for you. Maybe they are doing great for you in your neck of the woods and truly are better than your other suppliers.

Stop trying to downplay my and others experience with Larson-Juhl and please don't disparage my driver. They are the bottom of the barrel for me compared to my other vendors in the way they have communicated and responded.

Will you and Mr. Hewitt be saying just get over it to a shop that maybe only gets service from Larson-Juhl and a few others and has to close down in a few months? Yeah, they had to go out of business, but there are frame shops overseas that don't get the totally amazing Larson-Juhl experience!

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Ours was perfect today, delivered by a third party delivery courier.

Our Bella sample order from WCAF also arrived today, from a different carrier.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
I never used LJ so... problem solved. :thumbsup:
Amazing how well my business has survived without ANY LJ mouldings on my wall.

Don Mar has always been my delivery guy for the whole 26 years I've been open.
My other moulding suppliers are all now open for UPS or Fedex.

I think the best thing was that Presto offered chops on any of their mouldings to cover Don Mar while they were closed.
I think it is a New England thing.:beer:

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
For the millionth time, the problem is the lack of communication and deception. If you want to believe that Larson-Juhl is the greatest thing since sliced bread, good for you. Maybe they are doing great for you in your neck of the woods and truly are better than your other suppliers.
Stop trying to downplay my and others experience with Larson-Juhl and please don't disparage my driver. They are the bottom of the barrel for me compared to my other vendors in the way they have communicated and responded.
Boy, do you really have thin skin. I never said that I believe Larson Juhl is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just stated my opinion and that is I believe we should give all vendors a break. And I never said you weren't having problems with your orders, I assume you are telling the truth. You have been on a roll with your complaining about LJ though, if they are so bad why don't you take them off of your wall?

I have been getting OK deliveries from LJ but nothing like they gave me before this crisis, including not getting full order, but I have had the same from Omega, Bella, AMPF, Foutiou, Studio, & International. None, and I mean NONE are back to how it was before this crisis, and you know what, I'm not doing as good now either and it isn't the vendors fault. My shop hours are different, my delivery times are different, my scheduling appointments are different, and the convenience of my customers inside my shop is different. FYI, my customers give me a break and they do not complain because they know our whole world is different right now.

I didn't disparage your driver, I stated a fact about listening to delivery people, your driver may be telling the truth, I really don't know. Some do tell the truth, some don't know what the truth is so they tell you what they believe to be the truth, and some exaggerate. I know my delivery person from LJ told me that he was the only delivery person brought back at this time, I believe him but that doesn't make it true. I also know that many of the warehouse people are not back but that isn't because LJ hasn't called them back, from what I understand there are other reasons which I won't go into - this is not the place for comments about politics.

Now if you want to keep on blowing off steam, have at it, but if you are having so many problems change something until we get back to some normality. To keep on complaining about the same thing over and over doesn't really help anyone. ...just my opinion

Last edited:

framewrightscf

Grumbler
Boy, do you really have thin skin. I never said that I believe Larson Juhl is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I just stated my opinion and that is I believe we should give all vendors a break. And I never said you weren't having problems with your orders, I assume you are telling the truth. You have been on a roll with your complaining about LJ though, if they are so bad why don't you take them off of your wall?

I have been getting OK deliveries from LJ but nothing like they gave me before this crisis, including not getting full order, but I have had the same from Omega, Bella, AMPF, Foutiou, Studio, & International. None, and I mean NONE are back to how it was before this crisis, and you know what, I'm not doing as good now either and it isn't the vendors fault. My shop hours are different, my delivery times are different, my scheduling appointments are different, and the convenience of my customers inside my shop is different. FYI, my customers give me a break and they do not complain because they know our whole world is different right now.

I didn't disparage your driver, I stated a fact about listening to delivery people, your driver may be telling the truth, I really don't know. Some do tell the truth, some don't know what the truth is so they tell you what they believe to be the truth, and some exaggerate. I know my delivery person from LJ told me that he was the only delivery person brought back at this time, I believe him but that doesn't make it true. I also know that many of the warehouse people are not back but that isn't because LJ hasn't called them back, from what I understand there are other reasons which I won't go into - this is not the place for comments about politics.

Now if you want to keep on blowing off steam, have at it, but if you are having so many problems change something until we get back to some normality. To keep on complaining about the same thing over and over doesn't really help anyone. ...just my opinion

Most of your post I agree with

The title of the thread is Larson-Juhl Micro-Rant

I had my rant, and then you and others decided to chip in with sanctimonious life lessons. As if I'm not capable of making a complaint and also understanding that this is a very difficult time.

Coming into a rant thread and saying get over it and suck it up and then wondering why you're getting pushback is quite a mental gymnastics routine.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Most of your post I agree with
The title of the thread is Larson-Juhl Micro-Rant
I had my rant, and then you and others decided to chip in with sanctimonious life lessons. As if I'm not capable of making a complaint and also understanding that this is a very difficult time.
Coming into a rant thread and saying get over it and suck it up and then wondering why you're getting pushback is quite a mental gymnastics routine.
You are welcome to your opinions - I think you had 13 or 14 rants in one thread. We are all in this together and we are all having issues, suppliers going to vendors, vendors supplying framers, & framers trying to complete their jobs to their customers. Everyone is doing the best they can, you may be happy with some and you may be unhappy with some - I think that's called life. Anyway, have fun being unhappy about LJ - I'm sure it makes you feel better to rant - have fun.. Myself, with the garbage that is going on in the world I would rather talk about the positives...at least now I am getting moulding, mats, and supplies - wasn't 6 weeks ago...now after months finally getting product even though it is taking a little longer to receive it, to me that's a positive .

Last edited:

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Well, since I started this, I will say that I'm pretty much over it (that's what rants are for, just blowing off a little steam). I have had good, and complete communications with LJ since I have learned their new schedule, and Ken, my regular driver, just brought my order, complete except for the one back order I knew about when I placed the order on line.
It feels kinda good, so, Thanks LJ.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
You are welcome to your opinions - I think you had 13 or 14 rants in one thread. We are all in this together and we are all having issues, suppliers going to vendors, vendors supplying framers, & framers trying to complete their jobs to their customers. Everyone is doing the best they can, you may be happy with some and you may be unhappy with some - I think that's called life. Anyway, have fun being unhappy about LJ - I'm sure it makes you feel better to rant - have fun.. Myself, with the garbage that is going on in the world I would rather talk about the positives...at least now I am getting moulding, mats, and supplies - wasn't 6 weeks ago...now after months finally getting product even though it is taking a little longer to receive it, to me that's a positive .

Or I had one or two rants, several responses to sanctimonious responses to my rants, an update on today's LJ delivery, and a positive review on that delivery

If you seriously see 13 or 14 rants in here by me, you might have some reading comprehension issues

Hopefully Larson Juhl keeps improving and learns how to communicate better

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
I don't know of a single vendor that is back to full force and doing what they were doing before the Covid-19 issue.
Let me introduce you to Vermont Hardwoods. They never shut down. Granted. they furloughed a few employees,they were there every single day (for the last 40 years) to take and ship orders. And in fact their order-to-ship days actually LOWERED(!!!), because they are not only the distributor, they are also the manufacturer. "Oh, we don't have 400 LF of what you want on hand? Well, since we have no other PAYING work, we will start it within 30 seconds, and ship on our normal schedule". UPS is another thing, but - all things considered they haven't done too bad.

Unfortunately for many, they only provide relatively high-end moulding, no supplies, no glazing or mats.

Last edited:

David Waldmann

Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
For the millionth time...
(sorta ignoring the FACT that is not factual)

Stop trying to downplay my and others experience with Larson-Juhl ... They are the bottom of the barrel for me compared to my other vendors...
I don't get it - do they have your first-born in chains, or....? I just don't get get it - if I don't like a vendor I stop buying from them. I don't have any contracts (and can't imagine signing one), so.... walk away. Or am I missing something?

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Hopefully Larson Juhl keeps improving and learns how to communicate better
Agree - I hope all of the vendors gets back to the customer service they had before the covid crisis.

My reading comprehension is just fine.

Let me introduce you to Vermont Hardwoods.
David, I've checked Vermont Hardwoods out a few times but have never had the opportunity to use the services. I came close a couple of time to get a proposal from you but my customers always ended up purchasing ready made lengths. One day I will be speaking to you I'm sure - walnuts are really getting popular here. Congratulation with the staying open, you are one of the very few.

Keith L Hewitt

Forum Donor
This is probably the wrong place to add something about framing in other countries, but as I wrote about it earlier POST #66, I will share it here.
I had to look for some info about the Philippines for a friend and saw my visit report from 1993. At the time I wrote >>>

PHILIPPINES 1993

There are no distributors. Framers make their own mat boards, by buying coloured papers from the local art shops and then glue it to a white lined woodpulp board ( aka Beer mat board)
Some just use the coloured paper with a window.
Mouldings are made locally and of very poor quality and frames are nailed from the edge. I didn't see any under pinners.. Many mats are cut at 90 degs. Nobody was selling mat cutters. Gallery Frames have 8 shops and import mat boards direct from Bainbridge, Rupaco, Salwen, and American Cardboard. I suggested to Gallery Frames they start a separate distribution biz. But they said "That's a bad idea. If we do that it will only help local framers and then that will hurt us. "

In 1995, how things had changed after just 2 years.. TREB Merchandising had started and were selling Keencut machines like crazy. They also stocked the English mat boards I was selling. They did well as they had no competition.

framewrightscf

Grumbler
(sorta ignoring the FACT that is not factual)

I don't get it - do they have your first-born in chains, or....? I just don't get get it - if I don't like a vendor I stop buying from them. I don't have any contracts (and can't imagine signing one), so.... walk away. Or am I missing something?

You don't understand temporary frustration with poor communication?

You don't understand being perfectly happy with the quality of products from a company, but not being happy with a lack of honesty?

Sure, I'll go and take the time to pull a third of my samples out from a company I've done business with for 20 years because their communication stinks for the past 6 weeks. Completely rational David, thanks for your input.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
When this thread reaches posts, will it still be a micro-rant, or a regular-sized one? :popc:

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
When this thread reaches posts, will it still be a micro-rant, or a regular-sized one? :popc:
I'm not sure, but the name of the forum isn't meant to be taken literally. We're all on the same team here, and should be working to keep this a friendly and non judgemental environment that is welcoming to all the new folks who recently joined us. That's the goal :)

It seems like just about all vendors have gotten their act together, and that things are just about back to normal. We are no longer giving disclaimers with every order that it will take longer than the usual time, because the materials are flowing fine.

Mike

echavez123

The saga of the 3-week old order from LJ

After several email exchanges and hour long attempts to communicate with customer service (haha), our order appeared, twice! Got a call on Wednesday, from LJ in Los Angeles, informing me our order was shipping Fed Ex finally. Got it on Friday. Then on Tuesday, the owner from the neighboring business, came by and said, they had a delivery behind their store. I was kind of puzzled, because I did not expect any delivery there. Then I discovered how the order was delivered. One of their employees said, a bag with matboards got blown against their car in the back parking lot. Also, some moulding was left behind their store on the ground, and a note was placed in the crack of their door. This happened on Thursday or Friday, not sure. The matboards, were scuffed and the bag was quite dirty from being on the ground, and the moulding had a 10" section of chipping. on one end. I was so surprised.

I called LJ customer support, on the previous Thursday afternoon, to inquire the status of the order, since Thursday is our only delivery day. The said, somehow, the order was not on the truck! Well, it was on the truck last week, but LJ did not seem to know it! Of course, during this time the customer is breathing down my neck cause of the delays. And, yes, it gets worse.

One of the full sticks, was badly warped. I tried to work around it, cutting the chip end off, but at join time - you know the rest.

Yesterday, I had enough. I re-ordered a similar moulding from Studio Moulding. I am expecting delivery this morning. Wish me luck!

Ernesto

framewrightscf

Grumbler
The saga of the 3-week old order from LJ

After several email exchanges and hour long attempts to communicate with customer service (haha), our order appeared, twice! Got a call on Wednesday, from LJ in Los Angeles, informing me our order was shipping Fed Ex finally. Got it on Friday. Then on Tuesday, the owner from the neighboring business, came by and said, they had a delivery behind their store. I was kind of puzzled, because I did not expect any delivery there. Then I discovered how the order was delivered. One of their employees said, a bag with matboards got blown against their car in the back parking lot. Also, some moulding was left behind their store on the ground, and a note was placed in the crack of their door. This happened on Thursday or Friday, not sure. The matboards, were scuffed and the bag was quite dirty from being on the ground, and the moulding had a 10" section of chipping. on one end. I was so surprised.

I called LJ customer support, on the previous Thursday afternoon, to inquire the status of the order, since Thursday is our only delivery day. The said, somehow, the order was not on the truck! Well, it was on the truck last week, but LJ did not seem to know it! Of course, during this time the customer is breathing down my neck cause of the delays. And, yes, it gets worse.

One of the full sticks, was badly warped. I tried to work around it, cutting the chip end off, but at join time - you know the rest.

Yesterday, I had enough. I re-ordered a similar moulding from Studio Moulding. I am expecting delivery this morning. Wish me luck!

Ernesto

I hope it all gets straightened out for you Ernesto!

Remember, whatever happens, don't complain too much and thank your lucky stars you even get deliveries thanks to being in the USA! Hopefully you don't have to tell your client to just get over it!

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
...Remember, whatever happens, don't complain too much and thank your lucky stars you even get deliveries thanks to being in the USA! Hopefully you don't have to tell your client to just get over it!
If anyone takes this at face value, just tell them the green ink was on back order. :)

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding