• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Larger frame than canvas

Alexander

Grumbler
I have an artist who wishes a stretched canvas framed with a fillet/slip. The customer doesnt want his painting cropped the total of 12/15mm though, he wishes it to be 5mm at most. It is quite square. It's about 70cmx90cm. Best method to proceed?

bruce papier

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
I think your best option is to build a set of strainers closer to the actual size of the frame and tack it to the painting. The strainers don't have to be as thick as you would use to mount a canvas. They are just for filling the space.

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Not a fillet/slip but a liner ripped to the right dimension would do the trick.

Alexander

Grumbler
Could I use foam core for this? And would I just staple it around the edge of the painting?

bruce papier

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
You could use foam core if the painting isn't too large. A wooden strainer will give more support so there's not as much weight being held by the filet.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Just to be clear about this, the customer wants a frame with a fillet/slip in the opening, right? As others have described, you could fabricate spacers to fit.

But if minimizing the coverage of edges on the painting is the plan, you could show the whole surface if you mount the stretched canvas into a floater frame, and put the visible frame & fillet/slip assembly on top of that.

prospero

Use a piece of timber to fill the gap, pinned in place. This will also serve to hold the slip. 🙂

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding