labels for the backs of framed pictures

Julie-Tulie

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Does anyone have info on where you can get a nice label for the back of the finished-framed work, at a good price? I want my shops name and city but I want it be to classy and professional, not like the free ones you get in the mail for making a donation to who-knows-what...I figure I will get plenty of those soon enough.
Also, should I put any other info on the back, on another sticker, as to conservation quality, etc., (glass, matting, backing,etc...)

We get ours from a local print shop. They are gold foil ovals with "custom framing by name, address, and phone #". I think we got 500 for around $40. Very nice.

Edit: I just check a site online called consolidated labels. I went thru a quote process for the size & type labels we have now (which includes providing press ready art to the printer) & the price was $231.09 for 1000 labels. That is about 24 cents apiece versus what we paid at about 8 cents apiece.

Make sure your labels have had kraft paper experience.

The firat ones we bought, 28 years ago, dried up after 6-8 months and fell off the dust cover.

They became good-looking litter. With our name on it.

We use the ones that come in the value -paks of stuff that is sent to the house in the mail. They have worked fine so far and are very reasonable.
BUDDY

I saw a wine bottle that had a label that looked like it was printed on kraft paper. It was remakably simple looking and very classy.

I have often thought that it might be neat to print on that and tape it. That is if you use blue or black backing paper. If you use brown backing then nevermind.

I've seen them printed on laser or inkjet peel-and-stick label paper. Avoid the thermal label printer ones. They tend to fade entirely after a few years. A small printing outfit will do them for you. The larger places may not want to run these smaller jobs (unless you spend a bunch of $$).
John

We use Avery labels with each workers name personalized and our company name and logo printed as we need them. It is very inexpensive and professional.

Thank-you for the info...I will be going to the print shop tomorrow...but keep the info coming!
Julie

Julie-Tulie,

If you want the most professional looking labels for the back of your frame, and priced very economically, go no further than this website... The Stephen Fossler Co., a family run business in Crystal Lake, Illinois.

Order their Sample Pack and order form online. Their service is fast and quality superb.

VPC2.jpg

If you prefer calling: 800-762-0030

Regards,

John

John, Thanks for the info...the labels are beautiful...I sent for the info and can't wait to see it in hand, they look beautiful. Is that where you get your labels from and if so, do you have any problems with them sticking to your paper? Some do not stick well after they are on for awahil, just like Ron said.

Other-wise, you can wait around until your 1st, 5th, 10th, 25th anniversary in business, and they will be contacting you... even if you name is butchered by what ever the mailing list they buy is from.

Other-wise, they do a killer job with foils as the picture above shows. and as John says economical.

We use our business cards. We put them on the back of each custom framed piece. We have our nice color cards on cream paper we put on expensive jobs and the same card but printed black and white on white paper for inexpensive jobs.

We have also looked for labels, but those b/w cards are pretty inexpensive. $25 for 500 appx.

We use the artcare labels from Bainbridge - it lets us indicate what was used in the frame package as to mats, backing, etc. I also write in the moulding number as many times the customer will return w/ another project wanting it framed in the same moulding - makes it a lot easier.
Oh - and they're FREE!

Originally posted by Julie-Tulie:
...Is that where you get your labels from and if so, do you have any problems with them sticking to your paper? Some do not stick well after they are on for awahil, just like Ron said.
Julie-Tulie,

Indeed this is where we have had our labels made since we gave up on Continental years ago, as we would find them sitting on the carpet by the baseboards, having had them fall off during the night.

As Baer hinted....and indeed we have actually done this several times, is to use their anniversary labels during the entire anniversary year. We did this for our 10th, 15th and 20th. We skipped the 25th, but the 30th is coming up pretty soon...

STYLE9.jpg

Let's see....this style would work. Black on the gold foil looks awesome on a black dust cover.

John

Thanks for the link, John - I ordered their sample pack - next year will be our 25th - and I like the idea of using special labels for special jobs!

Of course I just bought 2000 regular labels from Miles Kimball company - can't beat the price something like eight bucks a thousand! LOL!

I go to a local print shop and have "lick and stick" labels made. They have our logo, come in two sizes for big and small pictures and cost next to nothing. They stay on the backing paper, unlike the pressure adhesive fancy foil ones I used to purchase for ten times what I am paying now. I have been using this label for over twenty years, they are great.

Lick and stick printing paper comes 8 1/2 X 11. The printer prints the sheet, then trims to size. We get literally, thousands of labels for well under $100.00. One print run lasts us for years.

John

We use Century Marketing. Our labels are black ovals with silver foil imprints; we use black backing. They are as reasonable as anywhere for the quality (black looks almost textured like linen) and you can submit you own artwork. They will not peel off much less fall off.

Ducks Unlimited has their name printed diagonal on the entire backing paper. I've always like it and wondered who could print that?

I just yesterday received a reorder of my silver foil 1” x 2” labels. For three thousand, they were a little under 5¢ each from Labels Unlimited – (800) 677-8809.

Back