Searching For Keeton Kutter

Kenneth Henry

Grumbler in Training
Business
Kenneth Henry Picture Framer
Hello, I have inherited a Keeton glass/board cutter and I think Id like to make use of it. But the cutting head is long gone. I will get my uncle to make me a new one but Id prefer it to be something along the lines of the original. Can anyone help out with a pic?

I have downloaded the instruction manual and printed it off, but its not very detailed for what I'm after.

It will allow me to keep my bench looking like a war zone if I can start cutting glass and board up against the wall.

Thanks, if you can help at all that will be kind.

That machine was designed in the 70's. What your uncle needs is engineering drawings. They are probably "long gone" by now. If anyone has an original head, your uncle or I could draw up a set of drawings if he is a machinist.

That machine was designed in the 70's. What your uncle needs is engineering drawings. They are probably "long gone" by now. If anyone has an original head, your uncle or I could draw up a set of drawings if he is a machinist.

Yes he can make whatever is needed. He will just make an entirely new cutting head if necessary but I wanted to make life easier for him I suppose. I’ve altered the calibration on it with a self adhesive tape measure so I can cut on the right hand side of the straight edge manually. So it’s not a pressing concern. But I’d just like it somewhere close to how it was. I like old things. My workshop is full of old woodworking tools and marples clamps and things. I enjoyed restoring this cutter as far as I could.

The engineers drawings would be superb of course. But a decent photo would be fine as well.

The head on this is probably the same technology as the head for the mat cutters. The heads are composed of a sliding block that rides on the rod attached to the rail (machined brass, chromed) and a pivoting blade holder. I really have no idea if and how a glass cutter would be attached. but for the scale to be accurate it would have to be on the same side as the material cutter. The manual (Thanks Larry!) shows the blade holder to be on the left side of the rail.
IMG_0175.jpg
Head from straight cut side
IMG_0179 (1).jpg
Cover removed showing pivot screw and spring. thumb screw on cove is to clamp blase and detente pinholds bladee in engaged position (I never used that).
IMG_0177.jpg
Rear view.

The wall mounted material/glass cutter used a "T" bar grip to engage the blade and pull the head down. The head was counter balanced so it would return to the top when released and the blade was disengaged.
IMG_0180.jpg
Blade holder disassembled to show pivot screw and internal machining for blade. Note: these were made for the old Stanley utility blade which was thinner and shorter than the HD blades available today. They do fit the old heads, but they extend out a bit more than they should.

The head on this is probably the same technology as the head for the mat cutters. The heads are composed of a sliding block that rides on the rod attached to the rail (machined brass, chromed) and a pivoting blade holder. I really have no idea if and how a glass cutter would be attached. but for the scale to be accurate it would have to be on the same side as the material cutter. The manual (Thanks Larry!) shows the blade holder to be on the left side of the rail.
View attachment 35031Head from straight cut side
View attachment 35032Cover removed showing pivot screw and spring. thumb screw on cove is to clamp blase and detente pinholds bladee in engaged position (I never used that).
View attachment 35033Rear view.

The wall mounted material/glass cutter used a "T" bar grip to engage the blade and pull the head down. The head was counter balanced so it would return to the top when released and the blade was disengaged.
View attachment 35034Blade holder disassembled to show pivot screw and internal machining for blade. Note: these were made for the old Stanley utility blade which was thinner and shorter than the HD blades available today. They do fit the old heads, but they extend out a bit more than they should.

Brilliant. That’s what I was hoping for, as it will give him a rough idea of how it looks. It’s not a wildly complicated job for him anyway. I have a few ideas for him on the glass cutting head regarding pressure setting etc.

But thanks very much for that 👍🏼

I think I will get him to make the board cutting part to use some sort of blade that carpet fitters use. A heavy duty Stanley type thing maybe.

I’ve seen the photos of the T bar affair but I reckon I’ll use a particular type of glass cutting head and I’ll have the feel for it. This will be set up for me and me alone so it doesn’t need to take account of ham fisted users other than me 😂

If you look at some of the old wall mounted glass cutters, they used a simple mount that held a hand-held glass cutter.
here are a couple more shots of another head that has been modified. extensions were added to front and rear, but I have no idea why.
Also shows a good shot of the base and how a foot was made for the actual contact point between head and rail.
IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg

Please post photos of your solution.

If you look at some of the old wall mounted glass cutters, they used a simple mount that held a hand-held glass cutter.
here are a couple more shots of another head that has been modified. extensions were added to front and rear, but I have no idea why.
Also shows a good shot of the base and how a foot was made for the actual contact point between head and rail.
View attachment 35035View attachment 35036
Please post photos of your solution.
Thanks very much for all this. I will send these to my man and see what he comes up with. He loves doing these sort of jobs so it should keep him happy 😃

Back