Kaspersky replacement

wcox

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I just came across information that Kapersky anti-virus is banned out of the US. Is this true really? I have used it for a long time. What should i switch to know?

Hi Bill

I have no plans to stop using it because of politics. It has been a solid performer. The office is in Boston for support in USA, although Russian owned.

When it expires, I may look around if this is not overturned or beaten in court.

For political reasons KIA has been banned. I have been using KIA (Kaspersky Internet Security) for the past 20+ years and NEVER had any problems with anything! I switched to an anti-virus that worked very similar to KIA. A friend of mine suggested BIS (Bitdefender Internet Security). I went to his house he explained the difference between the two. The two were very similar and BIS is the ultimate replacement of KIA. I installed it and am very satisfied with it. The best price I could find was on Amazon (3 devices/3 years) until I Newegg discovered it was on special on Newegg. I paid only 20 bucks for BIS. It can be used on 3 devices and is good for 2 years, and not 3. I just checked Newegg and the special has ended. Best price is on Amazon. Evey cheaper on eBay BUT you have to be careful when buying software on eBay. Good luck... (If, by some miracle Kaspersky can come back they WILL get my business again!)

At lease this situation is not as bad as most picture frame molding companies...almost every time a new molding comes out, within 1-4 years it is discontinued! If a molding is a good seller, you better buy 1, 2, 3, etc. boxes! What a !@#$%^&*()^ shame...

my 3 year license expires December 2024. I may look around to see if any of the others improved at that time, but i'm otherwise very happy with it. I probably have over 100 licenses active for various pcs that I maintain for others. Hopefully this nonsense blows over.

It seems updates will no longer work/be allowed, so I assume if there is new virus, Kaspersky will no longer offer protection against that. I might not have until September 2025 then.
Ugh
That is surprising. I wonder if they mean new software versions, not the 3x daily list of infection updates/definitions. They are saying it will stop getting some kind of updates October 1, 2024.

I'll probably switch before then, but it gives time to do so. My licenses mostly end in early December of this year.

It's a great product and has never once let me down.

The site with that info is also selling competing product ads and benefiting from people switching or clicking the links. I wonder if it is biased for that reason, and will look into it further.

This is a worry but I notice the probem appears to be confined to the U.S.

I will run this past my gurus and see if this is relevant to Australian users as I have used Kaspersky for years with no issues and that is rare with computer software. I certainly would not want to use Norton - the last time i had that it gobbled up so many resources it crashed my computer.

How I read it, is that updates will stop, so if any new virus is attacking, and Kaspersky no longer being allowed to do updates (which is insane, I paid for 3 years, so basically I should be able to use the product until September 2025, with updates), I would be at risk.

I have been looking at bitdefender, as suggested. There even is a free antivirus version. Not sure if I want the full internet security

Kaspersky released a statement, but it is not answering any questions.

There is also a forum

On that same forum, a Kaspersky employee posted this link:

Well, my Kaspersky subscription has 699 days left on it. Wonder if Uncle Sam is going to buy out my contract?

Supposedly this decision is being challenged in court. Hopefully it becomes a non issue.

Yeah, the message in my profile said they were challenging the decision.
Restrictions start on 9/10 and progress through 9/29.
It sounds like they still will have some limited access to the US, but mostly gone.

This is a worry but I notice the probem appears to be confined to the U.S.

I will run this past my gurus and see if this is relevant to Australian users as I have used Kaspersky for years with no issues and that is rare with computer software. I certainly would not want to use Norton - the last time i had that it gobbled up so many resources it crashed my computer.
This circles back to the US government trying to ban TikTok for clearly political reasons. It will not affect anyone in different countries. Our government throws a tantrum when private companies will not do what they want so the rules change every 4 years with the president change.
Eric

We Yankees live in a quadrennial monarchy.
Yankee? Who you callin' a Yankee?!! I stay as far away from John Cheese Land as I can (though I sure do like the customers there [for the most part])

0225c75e1b812e6403558e4048624a81.jpg

I got this in my email, and I assume all of their customers did.
It appears that Kaspersky is working on a partnership (?) with a US company to continue the service.

True information about your subscription​

Dear Kaspersky client,

We wanted to share an update regarding your Kaspersky subscription given all of the recent news. As of today, your subscription is active, and we've decided to extend it for for 1 month for free to ensure a smooth transition while we work through a thoughtful solution.

Despite our challenges in the US market, we are 100 percent committed to ensuring that our customers continue to be well served by a world class provider.

It's been brought to our attention that our former partner Digital River has sent misleading information to our customers in an attempt to take advantage of this situation, however we want you to know what we are doing to ensure that all of our customers continue to receive the kind of service and support that reflects the high level of satisfaction to which Kaspersky is committed.
  • Firstly, Kaspersky is fully transparent, safe to use and independently proven as the most effective consumer security on the market and we are completely focused on ensuring that does not change.
  • Secondly, we will pursue all possible legal measures to keep you protected
  • Finally, we are actively working with a leading US provider to ensure that there is a world class replacement security solution from a US company for every one of our US customers.

We thank you for choosing us. Please stay safe, and we will of course keep you updated.

There’s always the possibility of a scam.
There was a link in the email that I didn’t copy over because of concerns about that.
That no one that has responded has received the same email also draws suspicion.
I suppose the thing to do is forward it to Kaspersky and see what they say about it.

It's probably legit. But yea it is a good opportunity for a scammer to take advantage of the situation.

Back