• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Opinions Wanted Jyden Guillotine Measuring System Help!

Freyajanine

Grumbler in Training
Can someone help me better understand the measuring system for the Jyden Dan-Clip Guillotine??
I've read the Jyden manual that shows how to measure the inner, rebate and outer measurements. My problem is I don't have all the engraved strokes that the manual is referring to on my measuring scale. (picture attached)
Have only used Morso guillotines as well, so this is slightly new territory for me!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
All I could find online was this copy of the manual and the mangled English certainly does not help with understanding.

https://aimequipmentcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/JydenChopperManual.pdf

It looks as if there is no vernier for the moulding width as per the Morso and you are supposed to measure directly from the scale but from your pic I am not sure of the spacing of those graduations. Maybe someone who has Jyden could make sense of it.

Freyajanine

Grumbler in Training
All I could find online was this copy of the manual and the mangled English certainly does not help with understanding.

https://aimequipmentcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/JydenChopperManual.pdf

It looks as if there is no vernier for the moulding width as per the Morso and you are supposed to measure directly from the scale but from your pic I am not sure of the spacing of those graduations. Maybe someone who has Jyden could make sense of it.
Thank you - I'm hoping so! The manual hasn't been a great help to me unfortunately, other Jyden machines I've researched have extra measurements engraved which the manual refers to.. The spacing is about 10cm between each 45 degree line I believe.

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Do you normally work in metric or imperial?
That system measures accurately from either the rabbet or the overall length.
I think those are 1cm (10mm) increments (10 cm is just under 4"). I have a vintage Jyden and the smallest increment is 1/4" or about 6mm. Anything less than that has to be extrapolated. You also have to figure in the normal allowances in cutting.
There are after market grids that adhere to the extensions that have more detailed measuring increments. The one in the illustration from Aim Ent. appears to be one of those and is in imperial. If you want a more detailed grid, you might want to contact Steve at Aim Ent. about resourcing one. http://aimequipmentcompany.com/

Freyajanine

Grumbler in Training
Do you normally work in metric or imperial?
That system measures accurately from either the rabbet or the overall length.
I think those are 1cm (10mm) increments (10 cm is just under 4"). I have a vintage Jyden and the smallest increment is 1/4" or about 6mm. Anything less than that has to be extrapolated. You also have to figure in the normal allowances in cutting.
There are after market grids that adhere to the extensions that have more detailed measuring increments. The one in the illustration from Aim Ent. appears to be one of those and is in imperial. If you want a more detailed grid, you might want to contact Steve at Aim Ent. about resourcing one. http://aimequipmentcompany.com/
thanks for this! I’m working in metric. Yes that would be right on this jyden machine as well.
The first measurement engraved is 7mm.
and by figuring in the allowances are you just estimating an extra amount?
mare there any jyden manual videos you’ve come across by chance? The internet has given me very little!
does your jyden have the detailed increments like the manual?? I’m also from Australia so I might have to source a grid closer to home.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Truthfully, call Jill or Joe at Tech Mark - though they don't sell Jyden they know about other machines. I'm fairly sure someone there will be able to answer your questions. (501) 945-9393

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
I have a Jyden marked in inches. The scale is the exact cut so you have to add in any desired allowance.
Hope this helps.

Freyajanine

Grumbler in Training
I have a Jyden marked in inches. The scale is the exact cut so you have to add in any desired allowance.
Hope this helps.
Thank you this is helpful, does your jyden have the rebate, inner and outer measurements engraved?

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I have a Jyden marked in inches.
Doug, your Jyden is in inches, the scale in the picture by Freyajanine doesn't appear to be in inches, that is why I suggest he check with Tech Mark, they may have the necessary conversions. When you Jyden was at Susan's I saw it and showed her how to use it so I agree, you scale is inches. My original chopper was a Jyden and that had a scale in inches like your machine, I've never seen a Jyden with this scale like Freyajanine has but I'm just a rookie and don't know that much :rolleyes:

Freyajanine

Grumbler in Training
Doug, your Jyden is in inches, the scale in the picture by Freyajanine doesn't appear to be in inches, that is why I suggest he check with Tech Mark, they may have the necessary conversions. When you Jyden was at Susan's I saw it and showed her how to use it so I agree, you scale is inches. My original chopper was a Jyden and that had a scale in inches like your machine, I've never seen a Jyden with this scale like Freyajanine has but I'm just a rookie and don't know that much :rolleyes:
Thank you - some information has been helpful. But I will email tech mark and ask some questions.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC