• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Jersey forms

bobtnailer

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Howdy, y'all!

We've only mounted a few jerseys over the years...not enough to consider myself having "arrived" at it.

There have only been a couple of them that needed to be stretched over a form, and the rest have hung relatively loose. For the jerseys that needed to be stretched flat, I hand-cut foam core to fit the individual jerseys. That took a good deal of trial and error, and I had to recut my first one several times to get it to fit just right.

Is there a better way to make these? I hate to reinvent the wheel, and I have to believe that I'm doing it the hardest way possible.

Any helpful tips for a rookie?

Thanks in advance!

Cody

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Nope!

I did quite a few and there is really no "one size fits all" quick and easy way to do them. Stretching them over a form is the best way to ensure they don't hang badly after a few months/years of gravity working on them.

The only people who can mount these pesky things quickly are either those who do an awful lot of them or those who don't much care about the finished result.

Bob Carter

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
I hardly ever give framing advice since i didn't do the framing. But, i'll share this much. We did a ton of jersey, around 300 a year. I had a P/T lady that did all the stretching and on a Basketball jersey it literally took about 3-4 minutes
First, lay jersey down and pull sides as far as is easy. Imagine it's 27''. Cut FC that width and jam it into jersey. Mark the bottom, pull down neck about an inch and mark the contour. Do the same for arm openings. Pull insert out and trim excess and reinsert FC
On pro jerseys that are fitted like an hour glass, the trim is pretty much visual. Use EZ attach to gather any excess
We were fortunate to have several pro-teams, 2 colleges and a bunch of juco's that we developed super contacts
MUST DO TIP
Go buy several replica jerseys from teams of local interest and frame them showing different techniques like straight float, square mats and torso outline mats. Be sure and buy kids size or small adult; cheaper to frame and less wall space. You just need to show 'you're in the biz'. You will be amazed at how many times you will hear 'I didn't know you could frame jerseys'. One attention getter was Pat Tilman ASU jersey framed to the nines; he was a local favorite that gave up an NFL career to enlist in the Army right after 9-11 and was KIA about a year later. The key is to get a conversation started
Once you show your talent find local charities auctions and comp a jersey framing. Great way to get your name out there in front of people we referred to as a 'target rich environment'.
Fun Fact
When NHL Coyotes were new, Wayne Gretzky was a partner. We had a relationship and they had a preseason season ticket sale offering a signed Gretzky jersey with a prepaid season ticket purchase. We got them to include a nicely printed card offering a great priced framing package. I know we framed at least 100 but since we showed several examples very few took the straight float special. Folks that plunk down $4-5000 a seat are 'our kind of target clientele'
you gotta show 'em to sell 'em

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Howdy, y'all!

We've only mounted a few jerseys over the years...not enough to consider myself having "arrived" at it.

There have only been a couple of them that needed to be stretched over a form, and the rest have hung relatively loose. For the jerseys that needed to be stretched flat, I hand-cut foam core to fit the individual jerseys. That took a good deal of trial and error, and I had to recut my first one several times to get it to fit just right.

Is there a better way to make these? I hate to reinvent the wheel, and I have to believe that I'm doing it the hardest way possible.

Any helpful tips for a rookie?

Thanks in advance!

Cody
Similar experience here Bob. I only do 1 or 2 a year, if that.
I have also scoured the G for tips. Always comes back to "practice, practice, practice".

It seems the consensus is that you are doing it right. Make the forms as needed for each project.
I agree it is a PIA, and would be nice to do some of the work faster.

I suppose if one were to create templates from a variety of different jersey's, then you might save some time cutting the forms out of foam board.
But that would require a lot of prep work, buying many different jerseys to create the templates from.
And there are so many types and sizes of jerseys that you would have to have a cabinet dedicated to storing templates you may not ever use.
If one were to get a project for doing a set of the same size and type of jersey, them maybe making a form template might make sense?

If you come up with an idea, share with the rest of us.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
We frame a lot of jerseys...
Usually they are floated, shadow boxed with a form inside that we make.
When I make a FomeCor form, I lay the jersey on a piece of FomeCor and run a pencil around the outside of the jersey.
Then I cut the FomeCor freehand but I cut it larger than the pencil outline so the jersey has to be stretched over the form.
Stitched down and/or Attache EZ if the tabs can be hidden.

This was a group that we did a little differently recently using the Wizard to create shaped double mats..
Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.14.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.14.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
We frame a lot of jerseys...
Usually they are floated, shadow boxed with a form inside that we make.
When I make a FomeCor form, I lay the jersey on a piece of FomeCor and run a pencil around the outside of the jersey.
Then I cut the FomeCor freehand but I cut it larger than the pencil outline so the jersey has to be stretched over the form.
Stitched down and/or Attache EZ if the tabs can be hidden.

This was a group that we did a little differently recently using the Wizard to create shaped double mats..
View attachment 35706 View attachment 35707 View attachment 35708
Those are amazing!!!

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades