Is this a scam phone call? Help

Rozmataz

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
I received a call earlier today and was on the other line so I put them on hold. They were gone when I returned.

They started by asking for my fax number, which I didn't give at the moment.

Having caller i.d. I returned a call to the number and it automatically cuts off.

A few minutes ago I received a call asking to speak with the manager, I replied "Yes, this is the manager". Oooooo. Did I just get scammed for that trick I heard about somewhere where they get you to say "yes" and then copy it into a series of questions signing you up for something you don't want.

Help - how do I find out? What action should I take.

The phone number is 210-638-2348 and id's as "San Antonio TX".

Thanks,

Roz

That might be a cell phone or VOIP company's (Voice Over IP/Internet based, such as VONAGE) exchange. If that's the case, it could be overseas.

I can't find any companies that use that exchange in San Antonio, TX.

Most likely it was just a telemarketer.

If concerned about getting "Slammed" (switched to another phone company without your approval), you can call your locall phone company and ask them to put a "PIC FREEZE" on the account. This prevents third parties from switching you, without formal authorization.

Mike

Is there reason to not always trust the info on caller ID?

I have had things like '999-999-9999 unknown' and '000-000-0000 blocked' come up and it is always computer generated telemarketers.

Has anyone heard about the data being faked?

Roz,
If you are concerned about being scammed,and it's no fun, believe me,I speak from experience, call your phone company and explain to them what happened and your concerns. They have special people who handle this sort of situation and are glad to help. Hopefully this will give you piece of mind.
Good luck,
Lori

Eric there are reasons the number of a given caller might not be shown,even if they are not a Telemarketer. However I am sure that telemarketers know everyone of them.

the simplist is to have your number "BLOCKED" and you can do that on your own Phone. It can also be listed as Private if you request it . This is at your request ,because at one time if you didn't request it even unlisted nubers would be displayed on Caller IDs .i know i called from my own unlisted phone to a nother number with caller ID and it shopwed the UNLISTED nuber . The worst part of that is I had Bellsouth and I paid them EXTRA to not list my number and I paid extra for the CallerID.They get you on both ends.LOL
BUDDY

My best buddy moved back to the UK. We talk about once a week. Her phone number shows up as anything in the world: sometimes there's no data at all, sometimes the number just starts wherever in her digits such as 441-386-???? when her country code is 01144, and sometimes the call is routed through Bermuda or someplace.

We now alert each other as I hate: repeat: Hate telemarketing calls. Our Caller ID isn't perfect.

People who use phone cards for long distance and calling from, say, Madison WI might show up on the caller ID as Alabama call. Next time they call, using the same card, it might say Colorado call.

I've pretty much gone back to just never answering the phone at all at home - especially after taking 50-100 calls each day at work.

Okay here is the one we get. One of our employees answered all the questions one time and they tried to stiff us with a bill. They say they are confirming your address and such.. and tehy have everything on file already they are just verifying it. But if you answer all there questions yes.. then they are gonna sign you up for the internet yellow pages and give you a free trial for a month.. if you don't get back to them again they keep billing you. So be careful out there guys!
-OwieO-

Another scam the telemarketers use is, you'll get "unknown name" where the callers name would normally appear.

However, below that, where the calling party's # is supposed to appear, there'll be a toll free number. There are a lot more toll free 'area codes' now than 800. 877, 888, 866 just to name a few.

Their ploy is this: If you use call blocking, it rejects calls that have neither the name (private or unknown name) nor the number, (private or unknown number). So what they've started doing to get around this is putting a toll free number in, but leave the name unknown or private.

Sometimes there'll be somebody on there to try and sell you something, and sometimes there won't. The 'trick', if there's no one there when you answer, is to get your curiousity up to the point that you figure it won't cost anything to see who called you.

With all the viruses, and computer stuff, and now telemarketers coming at us from all directions, it's a sorry world, but it's the only one we got.

If you get a persistant telemarketer interupt them and ask for their billing information, charge them $2/minute. Why not???

I've found a great way to get rid of phone company sales callers. I tell them that I appreciate their call but that we don't have a phone. There is always a dead silence for a few seconds - then I hang up with a silly smirk on my face.

Back