• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Question Is there a right and wrong side to TruVue Glazing

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

chelsee

Grumbler in Training
On a large sheet if you used the entire side with the wording which tells you which way faces out and you were going to use the other piece of the glazing but there are no words because it is now a scrap piece. Is there a way to tell which way faces out once the wording is cut off? Or is the coating going to protect against uv regardless of which side faces out?

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
The easiest way to tell which side is coated is to use a razor blade. The coated side of UV glass will scratch with a razor blade, while the un-coated side will not. Use the tip of the razor blade at the very edge of the glass where it will be covered by the rabbet of the frame. If it scratches, that is the coated side. That side faces the art. If you have the coated side out, it will still block UV light. It will just be vulnerable to damage from scratching.

There are different ways that others have for determining the coated side. Some look at the chip pattern on the edge of the glass. Others look at the way the coating reacts to water or glass cleaner. I have personally found that the razor blade method is the most reliable, which is why I prefer it.

James

Rick Granick

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
If it scratches, that is the coated side. That side faces the art. If you have the coated side out, it will still block UV light. It will just be vulnerable to damage from scratching.
Do not attempt to cut the coated side. You won't get an effective score line, and it will instantly trash your cutting wheel.
:cool: Rick

At this point, I can tell the coated side by feel alone. It has a "softer, smoother" feel that is not as friction-y as the plain side when you rub your finger on it.

High quality easel backs from craft inc