Invisible Hinges?

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
This came in when the original hinges gave way. It had been framed elsewhere, and he brought it to us wanting better hinges. The space between mat window and backing is 1", and he wants the piece to still stick up in the air as much as possible, but not past the window, as they are now. This requires hinges, but because of the upward curves, hard to keep them from showing. Although there are film strips on top, the fiber-based photo paper is what would be hinged. (And no, this isn't the same person who brought in the hairball-looking project. Although, he does take pictures of hair and dryer lint. Which one a prize.) The mat
window is about 11 x 14".
framing charly's 1 edit.jpg
framing charly's 2 edit.jpg
framing charly's 3 edit.jpg
of hair and dryer lint. Which won a prize.)

Why do people in your area hate you so much???:eek::eek:

Personally, as this is not anything that could be reversed to its "original" condition, what if you just glued it down where it needed gluing. Strip of paper from the backing up to the underside of wherever it needs to be held in place, if it is far enough away from the line of sight, it should still hold it in place. Good old white glue and any paper.

Some things need a stronger approach than wheat paste and mulberry paper.

..orrrr.. how about gluing thread onto the back of any of those pieces that need to be held down and pass it thru the backer and then glue that end. Again, something strong enough to not break from movement.

How about turning down a job now and then? This is one I would tell them to take somewhere else, between the headache and time thinking about and then doing this it appears it may be a real money loss on your side.

How about turning down a job now and then? This is one I would tell them to take somewhere else, between the headache and time thinking about and then doing this it appears it may be a real money loss on your side.

I sometimes wish they would. But, if we charge properly, it's not a money loss.

I would re-humidify the photos, and go from there.

I do not see the possibility of success with re-humidification and or attaching new hinges. It is a 3-D collage created by an artist. You did not state that the item is totally free of the backing board.

I would use a good grade of PVA with strategic placement of small dabs under the item held down with bean bag weights until each area is secure to the mound board.

The willing horse gets flogged the most. o_O

nyah nyah…..

P.S. Have you ever noticed that one your right eye is bigger than your left?

P.P.S. You're just jealous, because no hairballs or warped film strips have come into your shop lately.

P.P.P.S. I'm so sorry. That was entirely unprofessional. In order to show my contrition, I shall mail you this
beautiful piece of art to rehinge, (which you shall please kindly return by next week). Bill Henry offered,
but we wanted to give you first crack.

As for the project, while trying to rest at lunchtime, my head kept thinking about the thread idea posted earlier.

nyah nyah…..

P.S. Have you ever noticed that one your right eye is bigger than your left?

P.P.S. You're just jealous, because no hairballs or warped film strips have come into your shop lately.

P.P.P.S. I'm so sorry. That was entirely unprofessional. In order to show my contrition, I shall mail you this
beautiful piece of art to rehinge, (which you shall please kindly return by next week). Bill Henry offered,
but we wanted to give you first crack.

As for the project, while trying to rest at lunchtime, my head kept thinking about the thread idea posted earlier.

I have a can of spraymount and I am not afraid to use it. And before the vilification commences I got it to fix the droopy headlining in my car.

This horse is not for flogging. :p

As for hairballs an such, I've just accepted a canvas with a fractured cross-brace and shall be having great fun putting a splint on this weekend. :(

"But, if we charge properly, it's not a money loss." is a weak business philosophy. Guarding against loss in only one component. Profit is one of the others.

This would be a time and materials kinda project, and I would make sure the customer was aware of that. This will be a labor intensive repair (though I agree that the artist should be doing that) and every second you spend on it should be compensated. Even the stuff you glean from this thread.
This is also one where I would offer no guarantee against failure. Time spent will be time billed. Doctors, Lawyers, and Weather Forecasters fail in their jobs all the time, but they are still paid..

"This is also one where I would offer no guarantee against failure. Time spent will be time billed. Doctors, Lawyers, and Weather Forecasters fail in their jobs all the time, but they are still paid..

I agree with that comment. I would only wish that clients would always accept those terms.
BTY, you also forgot to add plumbers, electricians, and other contractors in general.

"But, if we charge properly, it's not a money loss." is a weak business philosophy. Guarding against loss in only one component. Profit is one of the others.

This would be a time and materials kinda project, and I would make sure the customer was aware of that. This will be a labor intensive repair (though I agree that the artist should be doing that) and every second you spend on it should be compensated. Even the stuff you glean from this thread.
This is also one where I would offer no guarantee against failure. Time spent will be time billed. Doctors, Lawyers, and Weather Forecasters fail in their jobs all the time, but they are still paid..

I used the term 'money loss' in reply to his post. It is true that making a profit is the lifeblood of business, and perhaps mine didn't make this clear.

One thing I really appreciate about the Grumble is the chance to hear other perspectives. I do turn down jobs from time to time, but get so used to helping folks with all sorts of things. It didn't occur to me to tell him I wouldn't help. The problem is, because I took it in without a fix, it ended up in the slow lane. A shop shouldn't have a slow lane, (or if it does, it should be rare), but sometimes it happens. Then, I feel bad, because it's taking too long. And I have so many other things to do. And I still haven't figured it out. Sometimes, framers have said to reject projects that I ended up doing well. Other times, I think, 'Oh! I could have said no.' Good to hear things that I forget.

I agree with that comment. I would only wish that clients would always accept those terms.
BTY, you also forgot to add plumbers, electricians, and other contractors in general.

Jerry, I see it as a way to weed out the ones that are trying to take advantage of my better nature (less and less of that all the time). You're the business owner and you need to establish the parameters. If the job is going to be a PITA and take an inordinate amount of time (and you have the skills to do it), the price should reflect that.
Contractors in general get paid the final draw once the work is completed to satisfaction, so you do have some leverage over their work.

Shayla, I understand about the "back burner syndrome", believe me. I have been more active in warning customers of that possibility. I have found that telling them that their project is going to take a block of time that isn't easily had helps to explain the time it will take and the cost. Most jobs we can work on in stages, but these special ones often take a start to finish approach, and scheduling that when dealing with the retail public can be challenging. My shop is closed on Mondays so that's when I try to work on projects like these. As well as my taxes, and repairing the plumbing, and ... having a life.

Accepting the projects that other shops refuse, even when they're not big money-makers, can be a way to cement relationships that turn into long-term, loyal customers. Or it can brand you as the shop that's willing to do whatever junk project that comes their way. Maybe the difference is in how we gauge the value the client places on the project combined with how we value (monetarily) our time and efforts.

This one's a bit sticky, though, Shayla, 'cuz it's, like, a sculpture. Is this another situation where the artist is in another country? Is it possible that they repair their own work? At how many points does the paper contact the backing board? Can you create "lifts" under the elevated points? ...or would they be visible from angles?

Accepting the projects that other shops refuse, even when they're not big money-makers, can be a way to cement relationships that turn into long-term, loyal customers. Or it can brand you as the shop that's willing to do whatever junk project that comes their way. Maybe the difference is in how we gauge the value the client places on the project combined with how we value (monetarily) our time and efforts.

This one's a bit sticky, though, Shayla, 'cuz it's, like, a sculpture. Is this another situation where the artist is in another country? Is it possible that they repair their own work? At how many points does the paper contact the backing board? Can you create "lifts" under the elevated points? ...or would they be visible from angles?

College art prof. Their gallery framers did it, and he brought it in when the (skinny strip) hinges failed. The way the papers curl, there's a lot of visibility.

And baseball players who only hit 1/3 of the time are millionaires

Back