Info on jerseys

Frame Lady

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
On reading Cliff Wilson's post of 12-17-03 on the jerseys, and the relpies, you need to know that there are three types of jerseys.

Off-the-rack: You can tell immediately, not the best fabric, come in all standard sizes (s-m-lg-ex lg, you get the picture) have retail tags hanging from the collar. These are usually purchased by John Q. Public and taken to public autograph signings. But wait, sometimes a major league will grab these (when there are not enough authentic ones to go around) have a player sign them before a game and auction them off to the public or give them away to corporate sponsors.

Authentic: Has way better fabric, has a tag sewn into the hem that says authentic, comes in sizes 38 to 56, hem sewn tag has size stitched into it, may have price tags on the collar (and they are expensive).

Pro Cut: the best fabric, do not have store tags, has a tag sewn into the hem that has the team logo, NBA name and size, must have length tag, or season years or both.

Players have contracts and some players have autograph clauses, meaning that they are only allowed to sign so many items per hour, day, week, or whatever. Some sign the front and some sign the back. Some are worn (ok, this is icky, smell them, you can tell if has been worn) Some come with a certificate that verifies that the jersey has been game worn. The smell will tell ya! When framing ALWAYS show that pro tags.

Hope this helps all of you that have to frame sports clothing.

I leaned from a Red Wings contact that the "numbers signed in the back" of Jerseys were signed in bulk by the player(s). A stack of numbers is easier to sign than a stack of jerseys.

The jerseys signed from the front actually on the jersey are signed as a jersey.

framer lady you seem to be quite educated with a post like that. You must frame a good number of them? I have not dealt with too many, but I used to go to those signing shows. It was amazing to see these guys sign so many different things in the time they had. I remember paying $20.00 to get autographs from OK players on my card. It was about another five dollars to buy a card to have signed. When you get a few hundred people in there they get some good money.
d

Back