Searching For Inexpensive Floater Frame

justawhitemat

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Looking for a low cost floater frame in black or silver, preferably wood to go on 1.5" deep canvas sizes 40" x 50".
Any recommendations? I am looking for this for an ongoing project, but mostly just one or two at a time.

And just curious, can one even acquire a poly/plastic floater frame? I have never worked with that material but for cost purposes it might be best.

Decor has a lot of the poly/plastic - but it might warp at that size.

The wife and I watch reruns of "Married with Children" just about every day. I paused the show where Al Bundy is standing in front of a painting with an "Inexpensive Floater Frame" on it and snapped a photo on my phone. Now every time somebody asks for an "Inexpensive Floater Frame" I pull out the phone and pop up the photo of Al Bundy in front of his and ask "Like the One in Al Bundy's Living Room". Every single time I do it the customer chooses a real frame.

International has both wood and poly if the customer really wants the Al Bundy Floater Frame.

I'll pull it down from my back up since I just did a reset on the phone. I'll be traveling until Monday but will get it posted so everybody can use it as a reference to confirm what people are asking about in the cheap floater frame.

Ted the Plastic Man says that plastic floater frames don't work. They're too floppy, and there's not enough strength in the material to provide good joins. Even I have to draw a line somewhere.

All these concerns are true about extruded profiles. I would never use plastic, and wood profiles are not that much more expensive.
As AL said, Decor has a decent selection of wood floater profiles that aren't too expensive. Also Michaelangelo.

Last edited:
Plastic floaters are fine. Just don't use super narrow profiles. 1/2" or wider face should work. The strainer on back of canvas will provide support by attaching with scews through back of frame into strainer.

The thought occurs that if you have a bent/of-of-square canvas then a plastic moulding could be made to conform
to it, thus preserving a constant spacing all around.

(That should be in a bluey-greeny text color. :p)

How inexpensive? I think the shipping on a 40 by 50 joined frame is going to be pricey. If you want length and in quantity, since each frame will be about 16' or a bundle to start with, why not ask your suppliers. Get the molding in box lots that'll drop the price. Decor has wood floaters that should work as does DonMar and Presto. Just call your rep, let them help you and in turn earn their money :)

Oh, Jeff, did you ever find that picture you offered to share? Haven't seen Married with Children in years!

Here is Al with his Floater Frame

Getting an error code so I'll correct it and repost

Here it is

upload_2016-6-27_17-13-42.png

The thought occurs that if you have a bent/of-of-square canvas then a plastic moulding could be made to conform
to it, thus preserving a constant spacing all around.

(That should be in a bluey-greeny text color. :p)

Why? Isn't that true?

Thanks all!
Does anyone have the item numbers of Decor floater profiles? I don't have samples and can't find any on their website, though I'm sure they're staring me in the face.

It isn't useful in my case to order box quantity, I would just be doing one or two frames at a time with no predictable need for how often.

Back