Problem IM5P Underpinner Not Sinking V Nails

Mr. Nick

Grumbler in Training
Business
Blue Dot Picture Framing
Hello all! This is my first time posting and unfortunately it's for a problem. My wife's v-nailer isn't firing the nails all the way into the frames anymore. It's been an issue before but now it finally seems to have pooped out and wont sink into even the softest of her frames. I've tried a few things already and I have a few more things I want to try but I thought I'd get this forum started now in case anyone has better insight/experience and for posterity to help others with this same issue. Her shop is located in the North Bay area, just above San Francisco. There doesn't seem to be much on the West Coast for distributors or technicians, unless anyone can provide the info?

>I emptied the side water catch/air filter, filled the second tube with the recommend amount of oil
>Replaced the 3 hoses coming from the pedal, broken down & lubed up pedal components
>Removed and cleaned the nailing head
>Removed and cleaned the nail pusher
>Turned PSI up higher in attempt to compensate

The regulator/pressure knobs for the two clamps (one for the front clamp and the other for the upper clamp) and the knob for the main pressure in the back seem to be very slow to respond to change, don't seem to wanna change while pressure is applied, maybe? The two front knobs for the clamps seem to hold the same pressure and not be changed independently from each other, which is wrong. The Upper Clamp *seems* like it has plenty of pressure to hold the frame down for the nail to be inserted.

Other ideas I have are that I changed the PSI too high so maybe it's forced out a valve relief before doing it's job with the nail pusher? Unlikely.. Or maybe a failing/failed pressure regulator releasing PSI, making for a weak nail pusher? The nail pusher cylinder was cranked on super tight so maybe the previous owner replaced the o-ring with a smaller one or just cranked it instead of properly replacing it. I also oiled the plunger the nail pusher sits on and now I'm thinking that might have been a mistake and is causing sticking/issues.

Things I plan on trying next time I'm in the shop:
>Clean excess oil out of nail pusher cylinder
>Replace o-ring
>Make sure nail head is properly aligned

If that doesn't work I'll have to order replacement parts for the nail pusher/plunger and the air/pressure regulators, which I hope I can avoid. In the Marines we called it "shotgun troubleshooting" when you order and replace a bunch of parts *hoping* it solves the issue. I'll order all the parts and replace them one at a time but it would be nice to find the specific problem and replace the specific part, if I can.

And help or ideas appreciated. I'll keep you all update on what I find.

One of the problems may be that the machine has dried out. When was the last time you added machine tool oil to the underpinner? Many people do not know that it is necessary to inject a few drops of oil in the machine. I inject a few drops of tool oil in the air intake line at least once a month. The oil keeps the "O" rings from drying out. If the "O" rings dry out they will crack or shrink and allow the air to pass through so there will be no pressure to clamp the moulding and drive the v nail hammer. Everything will operate slowly. This is just a thought, I don't know anything about your type of underpinner but hey all work mostly the same.

Upvote 0
Back