If you got "this" in the mail...

MnSue

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
From
Minneapolis, MN
Business
Framing Solutions MN
I am debating about a marketing piece to assist me locating a frame shop position. If YOU would received a "creative flyer" and a resume - how might you react to it. As I am looking for a designer/manager/marketing position with a shop, I thought I'd try a different approach to find "the needle in the hay stack" position I seek.

Before my recent 90 day gig (see employment thread) I had visited over 25 shops, in a 15 mile radius, in person. Time is against me in doing that approach again. Since I don't have the means to get the franchise, I need to find someone who "needs
help.gif
" soon.

So if YOU open your mail and YOU see a "marketing piece" like this - what would you think??

icon21.gif
or
fire.gif
or
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Baer Charlton

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
From
On FB
Just don't make the mistake of the several "framers" who are looking for "work" in our area.

When you enter a shop that is less than 400' showing... and two people are working...

There probably is not a chance in the world for a full-time position. BUT, one thing that is NEVER asked us is: "do you possibly know of any framers in the greater metropolitan area that might be looking for a part-time or full-timer?"

If they did, and could show us some credentials... [CPF, or brag book], we might just be able to help. Between my reping, and Shar knowing EVERYBODY that's been framing in Oregon in the last 28 years....

So here is the help I would offer you:

In your search, have you gone and talked to the local distributors and especially their salespersons? Are you willing to chop moulding all day, or pull glass and matboard all day? Are you willing to sit on your asset all day and answer a phone and stare into a death box in order to help other framers in your area?

Are you willing to learn to drive a "big rig" and deliver those supplies to framers all day?

Being in the framing industry doesn't always look like a framer standing at a fitting table. And it can lead to a deeper understanding of the whole picture.

A bigger question: If you were at a trade show, and had a chance to take a bus ride for about 5 hours to go tour a moulding manufacturing plant, would you give up that 5 hours to learn how moulding is made?

JRB

PFG, Picture Framing God
From
San Diego, CA
Myself, I just flat out would not respond to a mailed resume, nor would I even give a hint of interest to a telephone query regarding a position. I have a small shop, I can not afford to be sued for discrimination. I receive both those methods of job hunting at least a few times a year, I ignore them both.

Even if I have an opening, I want to meet the person I will be working with, face to face, before I give any indication I might have a position available.

If you honestly want a job, select the shop you would like to work at, then go in and introduce yourself. Ask questions if there is an opening, make sure you want to work there. If there are no positions available, stop in at least every other week to say hello and see if there are any changes. Convince the owner that his shop is where you want to be.

Turn your job hunting into a job, be professional, keep going back. Have at least ten shops that you would like to work at and visit them all, continuously until you are hired.

Save your thirty nine cents, it's just going to end up in the trash.

John