• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Idiot du Jour. Another Senior moment bytes the dust.

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
In the middle of joining a mess of frames. A couple with 12mm nails, one with 10mm and getting reading to join/stack a tall moulding with 15mm nails. So I join the first two legs, One vnail in the rear and two in the front. Lift the joined legs and see that the nails haven't been driven in more than half way. Check the pressure and see that its fine. Figure its just an anomaly. So I join the other two legs. Same same. two more ruined legs.

Can't see what's wrong. This is a moulding that I have joined a million times before. An easy peasy join..............always.........until now.

And then I look at the joiner and what do I see on the deck......................

Yup. Forgot to put the nail head in after changing the vnail size. If I still drank it would be time for a tasty beverage.

Instead of wreaking carnage on something or other, I write this. I'm almost calm enough to resume my regular programming.

No frames were hurt (other than aforementioned ones) as a result of this tirade.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have done that, I just don't have enough courage to tell someone about ito_O:beer:

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Sometimes I have to look at what I just did and say "****in' rookie!".
"The advantage of experience isn't making fewer mistakes, but being able to recover from them gracefully." Me, just now.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
I stick with just one size of V-nail and if I need to, i just hit the pedal twice.
That way, I never need to change to other size nail blocks and nails.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I'm the opposite. I believe in using all the tools in my tool belt. I use 15mm for most frames unless the moulding tells me to use something else. Take a profile like this:

The outside, which is a bit shallower than it appears can only support a 7mm nail, while the inside needs a 15mm (or stacked 7mm). I know that some folk only use 10mm vnails for everything. That's their choice but one a moulding like this, the outside vnail would have to be moved in quite a bit and the inside vnail would only go about 1/2 way into the moulding. It just takes a moment to change the nail head (unless you forget to put the new one in). Planning also plays a part. When I line up my frames for the day, I make sure that birds of a feather are vnailed together.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
That's one reason why I like the Cassese 299 v-nailers that we have.
You don't have to change the head for each size.
I just look at the moulding profile and decide which v-nail to use and put in the cartridge.
We have 5mm, 7mm, 10mm, 12mm and 15mm cartridges that we use.

I was totally a Mitre Mite guy previously but now I like the Cassese.

Just a question, though...
Why were the legs "ruined" if the v-nails only went in half way and didn't go thru the front of the moulding?
Once in a while a v-nail doesn't go in all the way because the wood is hard and I got off the pedal too quickly.
If it's just sticking out the back slightly, 1/8" or 1/4", I will just take the frame to the Barton sander and sand off the little bit sticking out.
If it's sticking out more than that, I will grab the v-nail from the back with a wire cutter, pull it out and then re-insert a new one staying on the pneumatic pedal a little longer.
This is a rare occurrence but it does happen.
Unless I misunderstand...

Last edited:

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Just a question, though...
Why were the legs "ruined" if the v-nails only went in half way and didn't go thru the front of the moulding?
Once in a while a v-nail doesn't go in all the way because the wood is hard and I got off the pedal too quickly.
If it's just sticking out the back slightly, 1/8" or 1/4", I will just take the frame to the Barton sander and sand off the little bit sticking out.
If it's sticking out more than that, I will grab the v-nail from the back with a wire cutter, pull it out and then re-insert a new one staying on the pneumatic pedal a little longer.
This is a rare occurrence but it does happen.
Unless I misunderstand...

Normally that is what I would do. This moulding has a 1/2" stem. The normal joining is 1 15mm vnail near the rear and 2 stacked 15mm vnails on the inside. When I did the join the vnails didn't go in straight because there wasn't a nail guide. And the stacked vnail didn't stack so I had 3 15mm vnails half in within a 1/4" space with the stacked vnails side be side. I couldn't get a grip on the vnails because they were so close together. When I finally was able to put them out it ripped out a bunch of wood at the same time.

neilframer

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Normally that is what I would do. This moulding has a 1/2" stem. The normal joining is 1 15mm vnail near the rear and 2 stacked 15mm vnails on the inside. When I did the join the vnails didn't go in straight because there wasn't a nail guide. And the stacked vnail didn't stack so I had 3 15mm vnails half in within a 1/4" space with the stacked vnails side be side. I couldn't get a grip on the vnails because they were so close together. When I finally was able to put them out it ripped out a bunch of wood at the same time.
I get it now.
I have used the Mitre Mite, Alfa etc. and now the Cassese for the last 10 years.
I know that you really know what the hell you're doing.:thumbsup: (I like that I can say "hell" on the Grumble now but I won't abuse it :icon11:...)
I was just wondering.:cool:

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Prospero

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
My motto is: If you are going to make a mistake, make a BIG one as they are easier to spot. 🤪

I applied for the post of Village Idiot, but apparently I was over-qualified. 🙁

** I tried in vain for about half-an-hour to load a stick of points into my point gun. They would only
go in so far.... Then it dawned on me that you have to pull the pushy thing back.
Only done it about a squillion times.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades