Idea Help

ahohen

Inactive Account
An idea popped into my head... I tried it the best i could very primatively. What I rigged up worked "OK". It is an idea (NOT an invention) that will greatly increase the sales of a companies tool. This is related to putting together four chopped frame corners. It is combining two tools together that already exist. I have the primary tool... i will be getting in the other from another company after the 4th of July. The combination of the two is very simple and will only take me about 5 minutes to combine the two to be 100% sure the combination of the two works with absolutely no problems. It might/might not... I am 95% sure it will.

IF the idea does work, what should i do? This cannot be considered an "invention", it is only an idea. Thanks for any advise and/or suggestions. ajh

First things first, if you find out that your idea does work and is 100% good, send photos and a complete description to .................. uh, well, just email them to me and I'll make sure they are taken care of.

(heh heh)
thumbsup.gif

On a serious note, if you are going to try to market this idea I would keep all hints and tips about what it is to myself until such time as you are ready to go public with it. Make sure that the equipment manufacturers that are involved are aware that you are using their equipment and there are no copyright or patent infringements to deal with. This can cause alot of grief if you aren't up front with everything you plan to do if it involves another company or its products.

And don't even tell your best friend about the particulars of the idea until you are ready to roll with it. You would be surprised how good your best friend can be when it comes time to make a wad of cash from an idea. :eek:

Good luck with it.

Framerguy

If it works flawlessly, you should take pictures and post them here with detailed material lists and schematics.

Ah, the workings of Great Minds!!

FGII

I toyed with the idea of getting a pneumatic Morso - but it scared me! I want to 'feel' the blades going down.

But I did think a pneumatic clamp would be useful - very. Like the one on my underpinner.

That's it innit? - pneumatic clamp, manual Morso -c'mon - tell me I'm right.

RoboFramer:

The idea is a way to get another use (major use) out of a major tool. The $ profits would not be made on the tool, but on what it would be able to use (which they sell a lot of already).

Well, since the use of an existing tool in yet unsuspected ways is not going to get you any rights and recognition, I'd say you are better off going in that business in which your idea turnes to be exceptionally profitable, and keep your mouth shut. Hopefully you'll keep it secret long enough to see your bank account becoming obeze. But don't bet on that. Without help you can't really become rich, and once you hire and fire your secret is exposed and will soon become industry's standard.

All kinds of things have gotten patents, including
perpetual motion machines, but only some patents
are useful. Ask whether anyone can make this item,
by themselves and whether your invention will be
something that justifies their purchase price.

Hugh

My name is actually on one software patent (an algorithm - basically an idea) and on two "process" patents. Process patents are ways to combine existing tools and or processes into a new process that produces "new" results.

So, is it patentable? Assuming ALL the other criteria is OK, (like, has anyone else documented this new process before you? ...), then yes, it's patentable.

NOW, the harder question ... is it worth the time and money to acquire a patent. This is much harder to answer.

Large companies primarily use patents as trading cards. You know, Eastman Kodak will license it's gazillion patents to Sony for a reciprocal licensing arrangement fro Sony's patents. Sometimes there's money involved.

There was one gentleman that had a patent on the process of matching colors. yep. really. He sued Kodak. We had documentation that proved we had "used the patented technique" well before the patent was applied for. BUT, Kodak gave him $1 mil just to go away, because they didn't want the hassle/risk of going before a jury.

Patents are MOST useful if you can go after a BIG company with them. But, be ready to spend money to make money.

Back