i hate !@* season

YooperFramer

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
we had a really good year, up $16,000. and now we have to pay for it.
fire.gif

next year I'm not gonna try as hard to have a good year. just kidding... it just sucks to have all this extra money saved up for cushion, and then have the gov take it all.
ya know?

Did you know that you can fund your IRA and a SEP?

And if you incorperate (even a LLC) you can set up an 401k? Which means you can fully fund your 401k, $4,500 in IRA and a SEP.

My accountant says that a sole can stash away about up to $25,000 a year and that means a lot less for Bush and a lot more for my old age....

If Bush spent as much time telling young people about the power of putting aside $500 or $2000 at age 18-30, as he does towards destroying the economy/environment/SocSecurity... Wall Street would be VERY healthy.

I do not understand people who complain about paying their fair share of taxes. Everyone knows that the officials, we elected to govern us, will be incredibly careful about how they spend our tax dollars. We can all rest assured that every penny will be carefully spent for our benefit.

Just think about all the things we get in return for our tax dollars. We have one of the largest, best paid government workforces in the world. Even our government retirees not only get the bulk of their working wages as retirement income. they also get to draw from our rock solid, social security system. Just that alone should make every American proud.

Look how our tax dollars help our military, we provide them with all the tools they need to rummage through dumps in order to armor their Humvee's and trucks. We allow their families at home to draw welfare so that their children are fed on a regular basis. We provide our veterans with absolutely the best medical care in the world. You will never find one of our veterans making their home in a culvert or under an overpass, not here in America.

Look how our government looks after our mentally handicapped citizens, you'll never see them freezing to death on our streets. We have a lot to be proud of, thanks to our elected officials and how they spend our tax dollars.

Just look at the patriot act, who needs a Constitution, when we have that?

Be glad and proud that you can pay your taxes, after all, it is all for you, right?

American and proud of it!

John

Does everything dealing with the gov't always have to turn into a bashing fest?

Two points come to mind:

Would you rather be a framer in Mexico or France than here?

Do you think that the framer that was down $16,000 wouldn't trade tax liability in a heartbeat with happy?

My general attitude is that I'm happy if I owe taxes because it means I must have made money. The trick is not to pay more than you have to. That's where a good accountant can help. As a wise instructor at a WCAF seminar once said, there is a difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance. Be happy that you owe tax, but don't overpay.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif
Rick
P.S. Too bad we citizens don't have a line-item veto!

I have found over the years that when a Government or country ( Mexico & France )or company, gets bashed, they more than likely deserve it. Mexico is a great place to live, once you figure out the system. I've never been to France, I've heard from assorted people that the French hate us, the French love us, lots of dog poop on the sidewalks in France.

One of the great things about the good old USA is that we can bash our government, if we are so inclined. Actually, under the Patriot Act, that is no longer true. Derogatory speech against the government can now be called a terrorist act. The government can arrest and hold you indefinitely for that. Under the patriot act I am sticking my neck out just mentioning it.

One of the more common methods of stopping criticism here in America has always been to compare this country with a less desirable place to live. It has always been a good way to make people stop and think about what they are saying.

I'm not so sure that criticism is such a bad thing, we accomplished a lot of positive change in the 60s and early 70s by speaking and acting out.

I honestly believe that if it were possible to let our government know that we are really getting sick of our tax dollars being wasted, they may possibly start taking us seriously. If they thought it could cost them their jobs, it could start some changes.

Lets face it, I do not think any American would mind paying taxes if the money was being taken seriously by our government. Way it is now, it's a disgrace to our country and our people. Jokes like " A million here and a million there, pretty soon your talking real money." may be funny in Washington circles, but not to the working taxpayer.

Taking potshots at our government has long been an American pastime, most of the time they are valid. To institute real change it takes a lot of angry citizens to make our government notice, and that is the real shame. Government officials should be in touch with the public enough to make change before they become mobs in the streets.

Are you happy with the Patriot Act? Did you know that under the Patriot act, ANY government agency or official can search your home or business without a warrant, or your knowledge, and they never have to let you know they did it?

Under the Patriot act you can be arrested and held indefinitely without ever being formally charged with a crime?

Under the Patriot act, you can be arrested for speaking your mind?

Sounds like the old Communist block countries, doesn't it?

John

Oh, shucks, John, our government desrves a swift kick in the britches often. That ability is our greatest strength.

I guess I am a little tired of threads turning so quickly.

Like Rick suggests about tax avoidance, our commentary ought to focus on helping happy to lessen her burden.

But, I guess if she didn't pay her fair share, then someone else would have to make it up. I just hope that you and I aren't the poor saps that are next in line to make up that shortfall.

I'm with Rick on this one

Bob, I think the best way to control your tax burden, if you are not educated in such matters, is to have on a retainer, a competent CPA.

Being an uneducated lout, I have always had my taxes professionally done, saves time and money. The main thing is knowing that you are, indeed, paying your fair share.

Spending money on a CPA is probably one of the best business decisions I ever made. Going to one, once a year at tax time, is not the way to do it, keep them on a monthly retainer. You will always have a professional opinion on what you are doing whenever you need it.

It is not all that expensive, as I am sure you already know. For those who have not done it, call a CPA firm and chat with the owner, you will be amazed at how little it actually costs, usually around one or two hundred dollars a month.

My CPA firm handles ALL of my bookkeeping, business and personal. They handle my parole, all my monthly taxes and government paper shuffling. They take care of annual and monthly tax filings. I never have to worry about it other than making sure the money is there to pay the bills.

John

Right you are, John. I even went one step further: My partner is a CPA.

John,

you must have one great accountant, ususally my lawyer handles my parole

That is one of the few things I have not accomplished, spending time in the big house. I guess you will have to talk to Tim about that. Don't get me wrong, I ain't no saint, been thrown in the slammer a few times in my youth, never longer than a night. God I miss those rowdy days.

John

Just went back and caught my error, that was supposed to read PAYROLL, not parole. Now there is one of the problems with ieSpell, you have to pay attention to what you are clicking "change" on. Of course without it, absolutely NOBODY would have a clue as to what I was writing about.

John

John: There actually is an influential group trying to get the most egregious elements of the Patriot Act rescinded. It's called Patriots to Restore Checks and Balances. It comprises the full spectrum from liberal to conservative representation. Here is their web site:
http://www.checksbalances.org
thumbsup.gif
Rick

Our glorious leader himself is 100% in favor of all aspects of The Patriot Act. If Bush loves it, shouldn't all of us? After all, it does make The Bill Of Rights obsolete, thereby making it much easier for our leaders to control us. It's for our own good, of course.

Myself, I can not believe that here, in the USA, that thing ever became the law of the land. What is even more startling is the apathy about it by the people of this country. Totally amazing! How many people gave their lives, just to prevent something like this from ever taking root on our soil?

John

My only advice on this topic is get a great (not good) accountant.

They cost but they can save in the end. All this past year I've complained how much cash I pay out to my accountant and when I got my taxes back from him, he made my wife and myself very happy.

Back