• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Picture framers only resource

How would you stretch this?

snafu

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
This came in Saturday. Cross stitch with a photo opening
I try and stretch it and the opening puckers

How would you stretch this?
2020-06-15_112848.jpg

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
good question - I can't wait to hear of the answer for this. I don't believe you would stretch but I've never had to do one so I wouldn't know for sure. Just pin it or cross stitch sewing on the back?

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
I would go with no stretching.
Lay it out and try to smooth the weave so it looks as straight as possible.
Is a photo actually going into it?

snafu

So far the only thing I could think of is to mount it.
mount the photo going in the opening, then mount the cross stitch to the same board

Any amount of tension it puckers really bad

snafu

I would go with no stretching.
Lay it out and try to smooth the weave so it looks as straight as possible.
Is a photo actually going into it?
Yes, she brought the photo

Donmar Creations

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Yeah, that could work, also.

shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Is the opening out of square, or in?

snafu

This customer designs her own patterns and sells them.

DVieau2

PFG, Picture Framing God
Send a PM to Pat Kotner. A few years ago she helped me, over the phone, with an impossible to square up textile.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

wpfay

Angry Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
This customer designs her own patterns and sells them.
Another design without regard to technology. "It's OK, the framer will figure it out".

Reverse bevel mat with opening just larger than the whip stitching along the aperture. Fabric glue. Weight. Wait.

Pat Murphey

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
If the photo is replaceable, I would sew it behind the opening and gently stretch.

prospero

I've done things like this but dry-mounted them.

The thing is to pre-mount some drymount film on a board, let cool and then smooth the work onto
the (tacky) surface. The trick is to put it in the press for a very short time - maybe reduce to temp and pressure.
Literally bring it up the pressure and take it out immediately. It will stick just enough to hold it but the adhesive
will not fully penetrate the fabric. It's not like paper so it won't be prone to bubbling. Doing it this way you can
actually peel it off afterwards if need be. Not strictly 'conservation', but fine on most needleworks.

** Of course in this case you would have to cut a window in the film just bit bigger than the hole so it doesn't show.;)

cjmst3k

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
What about stretching the opening to be square first (by sewing the corners down to a board behind it, and then the stretching of the rest would not affect the opening. Just an idea. I haven't done it before.

Donmar Creations

CHolt

Grumbler
I've done things like this but dry-mounted them.

The thing is to pre-mount some drymount film on a board, let cool and then smooth the work onto
the (tacky) surface. The trick is to put it in the press for a very short time - maybe reduce to temp and pressure.
Literally bring it up the pressure and take it out immediately. It will stick just enough to hold it but the adhesive
will not fully penetrate the fabric. It's not like paper so it won't be prone to bubbling. Doing it this way you can
actually peel it off afterwards if need be. Not strictly 'conservation', but fine on most needleworks.

** Of course in this case you would have to cut a window in the film just bit bigger than the hole so it doesn't show.;)
That's right. You didn't say if you'd cut the window in the center of the mat first, I would. You could probably set the adhesive to the fabric with an iron if you wanted to.

prospero

That's right. You didn't say if you'd cut the window in the center of the mat first, I would. You could probably set the adhesive to the fabric with an iron if you wanted to.
Yes you could.... But the film would need to be hard-bonded to the backing board first so you may as well use the press to 'soft bond' it.

Picture framers only resource