• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

How to Remove ATG Tape Residue

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

Micah

Grumbler in Training
Business
Washington Color Gallery
Folks:

After removing a dust panel, I find that the ATG tape residue and the remnants of the paper used to make the dust panel are very difficult to remove. Goof Off just doesn't cut it. Does anyone have any tips on how best to remove an old dust panel and the glue residue?

Thanks.

Micah

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Dust panel?
Are you talking about the paper dustcover that covers the back of the frame? If so, why are you trying to remove everything instead of installing a new dustcover over that? I usually take a blade and gently slide it so all loose particles are removed.

If you mean something else, then disregard the above.

Micah

Grumbler in Training
Business
Washington Color Gallery
Dust panel?
Are you talking about the paper dustcover that covers the back of the frame? If so, why are you trying to remove everything instead of installing a new dustcover over that? I usually take a blade and gently slide it so all loose particles are removed.

If you mean something else, then disregard the above.
Yes, I am talking about removing the paper dustcover. I want to remove everything for two reasons. First, when I take off the dustcover it leaves residue which is not flat, so the new dust cover will not lie flat on the frameback. Second, I trim my dust covers to about 1/8" from the edge of the frame but often frames come in with the paper all the way to the edge (where it is sometimes visible). Thus, if I do not remove everything I end up with glue exposed.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Best way I have found to remove ATG residue is to physically scrape it off with a single edge razor blade. A used mat cutter blade will do, just wrap some masking tape around it where you grip the blade to avoid injury. It's a mess, and it takes time, but better than introducing a bunch of solvents into the frame and atmosphere.

One reason I have stopped using ATG and started using PVC glue (specifically Turbo Glue from Kool Tack) again (was taught to use glue when I first started to frame, before ATG). The glue will soften with water and can be scraped off fairly easily.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I use an orbital sander. Easy Peasy. You just have to be careful that you don't sand the sides of the frame. I have a corded sander now but if I every replace it, it will be with a cordless one. You don't need a lot of power so unless you are using for other projects, low power or elCheapo will be fine. If you have other cordless tools, save a buck or two and buy the bare tool. The few times you use it won't justify a dedicated battery. I have cordless tools from Dewalt, Milwaukee and Ryobi so I would buy one of those.

03821578.jpg

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
You can also use a paint scraper.
s-l500.jpg

It's what I use to get the most of it off then I use a rasp/file to take the rest off and if needed a sandpaper block to smooth it all out.

It is harder to get off if it is fairly new as it is still gummy.

Register for the picture framer's grumble

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Or, if the paper is firmly attached, you can cut out the open center, remove it, and do the re-fit. Then, add a new dust cover that covers the remnant of the old. If one that goes right to the edge didn't bother them before, it likely won't now.

cjmst3k

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Usually I can get it looking darn good just ATG then more paper, and slicing off the raised wood where the screws were removed beforehand.

If it HAS to be removed, then I'd use Undo or another framing specific adhesive release on a folded paper towel (just a little wider than the back of the frame but a few layers thick), soak that paper towel and lay it on the area and then when removing that paper towel off the remaining paper/atg, just shave the back of the frame with a razor blade at a mild angle. It should come up pretty darn well. Good enough for new ATG + paper for sure. I've done this to something before, but not the back of a frame, so it's likely the same. But letting it soak thru the remaining paper for maybe a minute will help it penetrate the adhesive to make it get like a gel. You'll probably want to do this in sections and as you remove the paper towel from one spot, put it on the opposite side of the frame, and scrape the original spot.

Other brands of adhesive remover might work, I just have no experience with anything other than Undo, or with a certain generic I got for UMS a long time ago.

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
Often you can get good results by burnishing a piece of masking tape to the ATG residue and then pulling it off. Sometimes it takes two or three burnishings/peelings, and sometimes it doesn't work completely, but it's fast, easy, and cheap, and it would at least reduce the amount you have to scrape.

Like Wally, I quit using ATG for dustcovers a long time ago, in favor of dustcover glue, aka "ATG Turbo" from Frame Specialties in Elkhart, Indiana (the makers of Kool Tack).

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
I agree with Jim about the masking tape but I am not a fan of the ATG Turbo Glue for dust covers. I have better control with the ATG tape and I don't get the ripples from the glue.

Rick Granick

Best way I have found to remove ATG residue is to physically scrape it off with a single edge razor blade. A used mat cutter blade will do, just wrap some masking tape around it where you grip the blade to avoid injury. It's a mess, and it takes time, but better than introducing a bunch of solvents into the frame and atmosphere.

One reason I have stopped using ATG and started using PVC glue (specifically Turbo Glue from Kool Tack) again (was taught to use glue when I first started to frame, before ATG). The glue will soften with water and can be scraped off fairly easily.
Same here. ATG Turbo Glue is a great product.
:cool: Rick

Jim Miller

Forum Donor
I agree with Jim about the masking tape but I am not a fan of the ATG Turbo Glue for dust covers. I have better control with the ATG tape and I don't get the ripples from the glue.
Ripples from the glue? That's from the paper absorbing too much moisture from the glue, which means you're using too much glue. Just run a continuous, 1/16" bead all around, lay on the paper, and burnish toward the outer edge of the frame. This way, if there are any ripples at all - and there shouldn't be - they would flatten out as the glue dries.

Like anything else in framing, gluing dustcovers takes a bit of practice to get it right.

Side note: Aside from being removable and bonding more permanently, dustcover glue costs a small fraction of ATG, which, on a per-frame basis, is among the most expensive adhesives in most frame shops.

CHolt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Amazon product
Any way you go with will be tedious besides the sander. These erasers are similar to art gum erasers but denser and have a toothy surface. It's the same kind of rubber eraser that's used to clean sanding belts if you can more easily find one of those at your local woodworking shop, hardware store or abrasives dealer.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Same here. ATG Turbo Glue is a great product.
:cool: Rick
It might be a great product but not if you can't buy it. LJ doesn't carry it and I can't find anybody online that sells it.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
It might be a great product but not if you can't buy it. LJ doesn't carry it and I can't find anybody online that sells it.
You can buy it direct from Kool Tack or,

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I can't find a link anywhere for Kool Tack. The link for aim has the dreaded "call for pricing" and I have a suspicion from a previous aim site that it is case pricing only. A little dab will do me; a case will long outlast me.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
It's kooltack.com, but the site is under remodeling.
The 16 oz. bottle is ~equivalent to a couple dozen of the 60 yard rolls of ATG. It depends on how well you can control the bead.

Len Lastuck used to give away samples of his glues in 2 oz. squeeze bottles like candy at framing shows. I got my first Maxim glues in Las Vegas, and my first Dust Cover Glue in Orlando at FrameFest. Dust Cover Glue evolved into ATG Turbo Glue.

Yeah, you don't want to over buy glue. Some of the stuff has a relatively short shelf life, like 2 years tops. Jim has studied this, and probably can give more definitive limits of glue's shelf life.

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Like anything else in framing, gluing dustcovers takes a bit of practice to get it right.
I'll give it a try again - I use ATG Turbo for mats but I have never had luck with it on dust covers.

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Rick Granick

Redoing frames that have previously been papered using glue is relatively easy, but I would not spend the time it takes or the mess it makes to try to remove old ATG. I would put the new dust cover right over it (although would likely have to use ATG to do so, depending on the condition of the remaining surface).

Nikodeumus

I look at it this way: If the adhesive is so difficult to remove that it requires chemicals and/or a good deal of physical effort, it is unlikely it is going to release on its own any time soon. And 99% of customers don't give a fig about a little bit of paper overlap on the back.

Not saying don't do it. Kudos to you for paying attention to the details like this.

Question: How much additional time would you estimate it takes to remove all the old paper/adhesive residue? Are you adding that time to your billings? Let's estimate 10 minutes per frame. If you do only 3 a day like this, that's 30 minutes of billable time spent. Is it worth 30minutes of your hourly shop rate? Maybe even an hour of time if it takes longer or if you are more productive than 3 per day.

I'm just saying, make sure you make it worth your time. Include that extra 10+/- minutes onto your quote for each order.

I just pull up as much of the old paper and ATG (or glue) that will easily come off.
Apply the new dust cover and trim.
If there are any portions of the old stuff that are still visible from my trim line, I then use an old matt blade to skim the little slivers of old paper/adhesive away.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
ATG has a history of failure in the Florida climate. That's why I take the time to remove it and use glue. It is less an aesthetic choice than a pragmatic one.

Nikodeumus

ATG has a history of failure in the Florida climate. That's why I take the time to remove it and use glue. It is less an aesthetic choice than a pragmatic one.

Fair point.
I guess my region doesn't have the same effect. I've redone frames that are decades old and the ATG is still holding strong.

I have tried to use glue, from the suggestions of others on the G. But my few tests were messy and unsatisfactory.
I just need to work on my glue technique.

The recommended ATG Turbo is not readily available in Canada. I can only find one supplier, only selling the 4.5oz. bottle (also no price listed without registering).
I don't want to register for a frame supplier that I will only order 1 small bottle of glue (they don't have anything else I can't already get).
The shipping fee will probably be more than the glue. :rolleyes:

Does anybody use a more commonly available alternative?
What makes the ATG Turbo so perfect for the purpose of paper backing?
Would any of the more readily available EVA glues work as well?
I tried it with Weld Bond, it was messy. But, I also only tried twice, so not much of a test.
This is getting way off of the OP.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Has anyone tried hot melt glue? Like Nick, I don't see an affordable single bottle solution for ATG Turbo.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Try International, if that's an option for you. I think that's where I got mine.
Thanks but International isn't an option. Has to be LJ, UMS, 888, Amazon or someplace that will ship 1 or 2 bottles w/o an account and with reasonable shipping charges. I do very few sealed frames anymore so I don't really need it. Just would like to have some to try.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
When I started framing we used Elmer's white glue for the dust covers. We also misted the paper before putting it on, but that's another thread.
Elmer's isn't as viscous as the Turbo glue and requires that you smear the bead to avoid paper rippling along the edge. The trick, as has been stated, is to get a thin, consistent bead. The open time also is dependent on the RH of the environment.

Larry, once Kool Tack's website is back in action see if they can't send you some samples to try.

CHolt

Many times it makes sense to cut out the dust cover along the rabbet and attach the new one on top of the old one.

Lafontsee

Like Nick, I don't see an affordable single bottle solution for ATG Turbo.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think that ATG Turbo is significantly different from the fabric glues that used to be sold as different kinds of muck.

A while ago I called Frame Specialties/KoolTack to order fabric glue and they told me that the ATG Turbo was essentially the same and could be used for the same purpose. If memory serves, they just rebranded their fabric glue. There was a period where I would order one and it would have the label from the other. I haven't noticed any difference between ATG Turbo and other fabric glues in terms of performance for fabric mounting.

That said, you could just use whatever fabric glue you have already for dustcovers. You'll just need to find a small bottle with a tiny opening to run the 1/16" bead around your frame.

James

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Rick Granick

I've never tried ATG Turbo for mounting fabric, but it seems to me that Frank's Fabric Adhesive is somewhat thicker or more viscous than ATG Turbo.

Wally- back in the day we used Elmer's too, and we used to apply a bead and then brush it into a flatter wider coating using a flat artist brush. We kept the brushes in a crock of water to keep them from hardening, and eventually the crock would build up an impressive stalagmite-like growth of glue residue.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
Does anyone have any tips on how best to remove an old dust panel and the glue residue?
I'm ahmayhzed that someone hasn't proposed this solution. I humbly fill that gap.

maxresdefault.jpg

Joe B

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Ripples from the glue? That's from the paper absorbing too much moisture from the glue, which means you're using too much glue. Just run a continuous, 1/16" bead all around, lay on the paper, and burnish toward the outer edge of the frame. This way, if there are any ripples at all - and there shouldn't be - they would flatten out as the glue dries.
Darn - it works:):beer::) Thanks

Artglass AR99. Order now!
Springlock by Craft Inc