• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Problem How to Mount Apollo 13 Mylar

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Dostie Bros.

True Grumbler
Customer brought in 2 ablative plugs and a piece of mission flown mylar from the Apollo 13 Mission. The ablative plugs have holes so easy to sew mount, but looking for ideas on how to mount this odd shaped mylar foil?

Attachments

• Mylar Apollo 13.jpg
    Mylar Apollo 13.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 23

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
Mylar/Melinex encapsulation maybe.

Dostie Bros.

True Grumbler
It's very brittle, almost like tin foil. The top is just rolled upon itself. It's quite thin and can not support itself.

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
You might want to consult with an objects conservator on this one.
My next suggestion was going to be a rare earth magnet support of some king, but if it is that fragile, maybe not.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Lafontsee

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
If it were me, I'd be considering some thin clear mylar straps. Maybe one across the top right below the rolled bit and one around each of the bottom corners?

James

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
You might want to consult with an objects conservator on this one.
My next suggestion was going to be a rare earth magnet support of some king, but if it is that fragile, maybe not.
I agree with Wally, its dimensional and fragile. As said, the magnet theory is good, but the forces to firmly hold, would be too much for a fragile object.
One option to consider may be a fine mesh overlay, Stabilatex type of product or a very fine wedding veil material.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Sandwich between 2 pieces of plexi, letting the static hold it.
It looks like how hard it would be to mount a sheet of gold.

Dostie Bros.

True Grumbler
Thanks for the ideas, the magnets may work, not sure why I didn't think of that, after all the Mylar did survive a tumultuous trip to space and back.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
It's very brittle, almost like tin foil.... It's quite thin and can not support itself.

Thanks for the ideas, the magnets may work, not sure why I didn't think of that, after all the Mylar did survive a tumultuous trip to space and back.
If the piece of material is brittle and will not support its own weight, then small points of attachment using magnets could cause damage. Perhaps a couple of clear film straps, under the rolled top portion and near the bottom, could provide adequate support without risk of harm, but I agree with the others...consult a conservator.

These objects could eventually become important historical artifacts, so use care and caution to assure long-term stability with minimal intrusion or potential for harm.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I really love the dimensionality of the mylar. How about scanning/photographing it in it's rumpled shape, then making a high quality print of that? The print would be flat, but it would look like the piece itself. That might be better than flattening the original. It would only work if it captures the light and sheen of the mylar, though, and such images can't always do it. Worth checking out, though. As Jim said, it's possible this could gain value as a historical artifact. Perhaps storing the original is a good idea. I'm having fun wondering whether these would look better on a white background, black, or something like brushed steel. Another thing you might try is contacting a space museum (she writes....as if there's one on every block), and talking with their curator*.

* I really like the idea that someone out there might have this job. Bob: 'I'm a plumber, how 'bout you?' Fred: 'Space museum curator'.

Ad Banner for SmallCorp