• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

How to mount a wood sculpture

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.
Business
River Road Gallery
A client has brought in a Keith Haring sculpture, like the attached photo, painted on both sides measuring 13 1/2 x 7 1/4 x 1 1/2. Client was thinking of an 5 sided acrylic box floating on fabric, to hang on the wall. But my question is how to mount it.

I thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

Pat Blossom
203-762-3887

Attachments

• haring. sculpture.jpg
    haring. sculpture.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Which side would be facing the wall? It makes no sense to have a 5 sided box, if one side is against the wall?

What would it hang from? Is the sculpture painted on the edges as well?
If not, I would probably do a double sided frame. You could build a 'box' around the piece, so it would be 'free' but supported by 4 sides of the 'box'. Then frame as usual.

River Road Gallery

Grumbler
Business
River Road Gallery
Which side would be facing the wall? It makes no sense to have a 5 sided box, if one side is against the wall?

What would it hang from? Is the sculpture painted on the edges as well?
If not, I would probably do a double sided frame. You could build a 'box' around the piece, so it would be 'free' but supported by 4 sides of the 'box'. Then frame as usual.
5 sides acrylic, being 4 sides and one on the face with the back to the wall. sculpture is painted on all sides. client wants space around the art... and the acrylic face to to protect art from dust, etc.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Any idea why he doesn't want to see BOTH sides??

You could build it as a standing, 5 sided box and suggest he install a shelf on which to display.

River Road Gallery

Grumbler
Business
River Road Gallery
the other side is basically his signature. I understand 5 sided box, but how do I accomodate the clients desire to have 3" of space AA around the art? We were thinking of floating the art on fabric wrapped board. but how to attach the art to the board? that is the question.

Ad Banner for SmallCorp

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
but how to attach the art to the board? that is the question.
Self tapping L-Pins 2" long covered in black Shrink-Tubbing ( 4 should do )

3/4 or better Strainer toped with Plywood or like material to screw into, wrapped in fabric of choice. ( A rag mat barrier between wood and fabric would be good.)
Acrylic cap drilled and countersunk for mounting screws, secure to strainer.

Last edited:

River Road Gallery

Grumbler
Business
River Road Gallery
Self tapping L-Pins 2" long covered in black Shrink-Tubbing ( 4 should do )

3/4 or better Strainer toped with Plywood or like material to screw into, wrapped in fabric of choice. ( A rag mat barrier between wood and fabric would be good.)
Acrylic cap drilled and countersunk for mounting screws, secure to strainer.
David; thanks for your call and for your expertise. take care, Pat

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
You could use formed rods and paint them to match the background or the art.
Yes, four small formed rod mounts made of .029" to .032" diameter piano wire (aka music wire) should do the trick - two at the neck and two at the foot. Cover the exposed segments of the mounts using matte black polyolefin shrink tubing and, if matte black does not look good enough, then paint using acrylic paints mixed to match.

In my experience, the best substrate for an item like this would be fluted polypropylene (aka Coroplast) 6 mm to 10 mm thick, covered with matboard or fabric. Encapsulate the mounts in the air spaces between the flutes using hotmelt, epoxy, or other hard-setting glue.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades