How to make Printed picture frame

Hi I’ve seen these a lot printed picture frames with different themes on plain finished plastic frames? How are they printed onto the frame? Any ideas?

please check this attachment

Attachments

• name.jpg
    name.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 35
That kinda looks like two frames one nested on top of the other.

The bottom frame has a pop art poster with color, letters against a white block, text and a bullseye.
The top frame is white with a single mat window.

A good photoshop person could easily create the poster. Very creative idea.

Was there glazing?

I just guessing here, where did you see it?

Found it:

Looking at more photos I have to take what I said back.

My description could work in my shop but it's not the way framemyname does it.

Scroll through the pictures on the web site.
I'm hesitant to copy and post the oblique image on our Grumble frame site.

I've done this with wine labels, maps and posters

2019-10-03_120637.jpg

Cool! I've done that too. What did you use to adhere the paper to the frame? What did you seal it with?

Hi I’ve seen these a lot printed picture frames with different themes on plain finished plastic frames? How are they printed onto the frame? Any ideas?
This is my first post on the Grumble!

I just recently learned about a printing process for 3dimensional objects.
I immediately thought it would be a great way to make funky frames.

Do an image search for "Water Transfer Printing", then be prepared to go down a rabbit hole of learning about this cool process.
All sorts of amazing patterns can be "printed" onto practically anything that can be dipped in water.

It does require a bit of specific equipment, (and enough shop space) to be viable as a service to provide.
Probably not worth it for a frame shop, but maybe worth farming out the work if someone local already provides that service?

Nik

Welcome to the Grumble, Nik!

Love that process. Don't see why it wouldn't work on molding if it were primed and sealed before dipping.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With a little more searching I've found that there are a few places that one can buy DIY hydrographic printing kits.
I've found very few hits for picture frames decorated with this printing method.

Here's some more examples:
gallery026.jpg
gallery166.jpg

I'm seriously considering trying this out.
If I do I'll post some pics of my experiments.

Yes, there are a number of sources for the film in a lot of fantastic patterns: eBay, Amazon, and various suppliers in both the USA and Canada.

The rest of the process requires a variety of base coat paints, film activators, and topcoats.
Most of the DIY kits come with everything needed for a few small projects (some include safety gear).

I've watched a few instructional videos on using the DIY kits, as well as professional setups.
Of course, every one of them claims their particular method/product is "the best".

I sanded the moulding and adhered with Yes paste and sealed with spray acrylic sealer
Curious how you charge for that service. It's certainly more time consuming than simply cutting pre-finished length moulding.
Do you charge for the base moulding, then add an additional charge for custom wrapping?
Is it something you've done often enough to have a pre-calculated charge, or do you calculate depending on what supplies, time, etc. for each individual project?

Similar technique also works on mats
2019-10-09_142822.jpg
I've done something similar.
I made a silly little "drawing" and did this with it:
20191023_170855.jpg

I dry-mounted a snowflake patterned paper (the kind people print Christmas letters on) onto black core matte board, before cutting the mat opening. Built a little frame with LJ Alto 243510, spaced the glass away with white foamboard. It doesn't show in the photo, but I also creased lines in the foam to make it look like igloo blocks. Tossed in some paper confetti from our photocopier hole puncher for a snow effect.
I think it looks cool, but have never had any customer ask to have something like it done.

Back