• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

How to make holes into MDF backing for Clip frames

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only
hi everyone how can I make holes into MDF backing in mass production to make clip frames. Which machine or puncher type process is best to achieve these holes accurately and evenly on each edge. Please advise

thanks

Suki

Attachments

• redirectFileUrl.jpg
    redirectFileUrl.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 11

JFeig

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Those slots do not have 90° sides. They are angled for the clips to catch onto. The easiest way is old fashioned woodworking with a small file to created the angles. With a powered router you will have to cut from the "FACE" side with a "V groove" bit of some sort.

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Why?

Why not just find a distributor who sells them wholesale.
By the time you buy the equipment and set up jigs and finally get good enough at it to finally make money, you would have already been selling those wholesale ones.

There are companies in China who make them by the thousands for WAAAYYY less than you ever could.

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Those slots do not have 90° sides. They are angled for the clips to catch onto. The easiest way is old fashioned woodworking with a small file to created the angles. With a powered router you will have to cut from the "FACE" side with a "V groove" bit of some sort.
Yes, just like this one:

Rian Fabrication Services  www.rianfabrication.com

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
hi everyone how can I make holes into MDF backing in mass production...
For mass production on a small scale, have a die made to punch the holes precisely, and punch them one-at-a-time using a template for the locations.

For large-scale production, have dies made to punch all of the holes at once. A larger die could also cut the outside dimensions of the MDF board at the same time. This would probably require a special machine to operate the die.

Peter Odems

Forum Donor
The revet cuts through the MDF and connects the clip on the other side. So the clip is very good connected. For this I have to adjust a machine because the clip must can swing convenient for employers and customers.

Rick Hennen

True Grumbler
Featured Vendor
Business
Rian Fabrication Services
I am not familiar with those clips. It looks somewhat similar to cutting a T Slot. Anyway, if you want to send me a sample of what you need I can get you a quote to cut them on my CNC router.
Rick @ Rian Fabrication Services

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
For mass production on a small scale, have a die made to punch the holes precisely, and punch them one-at-a-time using a template for the locations.

For large-scale production, have dies made to punch all of the holes at once. A larger die could also cut the outside dimensions of the MDF board at the same time. This would probably require a special machine to operate the die.
You'd need a press of some kind, right?

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
hi everyone how can I make holes into MDF backing in mass production to make clip frames. Which machine or puncher type process is best to achieve these holes accurately and evenly on each edge. Please advise

thanks

Suki
What is "mass production" - 100, 1,000, 1,000,000, tens of millions?

Additionally, is the MDF cut to size already, or are you doing that? If you are how are you doing it?

Peter Odems

Forum Donor
Making holes with hand-attaching clips is how it worked 35 years ago. That is when we started to develop our riveting machines. Clips directly attached and can't drop off anymore. Prod. capacity with one SM-3 or one SM-7 is between 120K to 150K backplates per year, depending upon the size. My customers buy MDF ready on pallets in standard dimensions.

The second issue is the hanging system. I developed my wire-rings (automatic production) attached to the plates in 3 or 4 point position. So a frame can simply hang in both sides up. Instead of riveting clips the SM-9 mounts my wire-discs to the plates in relative positions to fit with my wire-rings. This SM-9 with wire-hand-mounting together, can follow one SM-3/7. So 2 employers can produce up to 150K backplates per year in one shift.

Prospero

Manufacturers make cars on a production line and they retail for say, $30,000. If you wanted to make
one then you could conceivably, but it would cost you many millions to set up the production line.
What you are trying to do would only be economical if you were selling them in tens of thousands.
It looks simple but it's anything but. And then you would have to compete with the factories that make
them by a million. 😐

Rick Hennen

True Grumbler
Featured Vendor
Business
Rian Fabrication Services
Manufacturers make cars on a production line and they retail for say, $30,000. If you wanted to make
one then you could conceivably, but it would cost you many millions to set up the production line.
What you are trying to do would only be economical if you were selling them in tens of thousands.
It looks simple but it's anything but. And then you would have to compete with the factories that make
them by a million. 😐
You are correct. In an earlier career I had been involved with purchasing from China and trying to recreate something competitive without the economies of scale is impossible. With that said, there are many small companies throughout the US that use CNC routers and other automated equipment that should be able to produce the desired results with some benefits of quantity discounts. They are still incapable of matching prices from large scale manufacturers especially from low wage countries like China but they can produce these in a much more manageable quantity and remove the freight and import costs not to mention the timeliness of a delivery.

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
them by a million. 😐

You are correct. In an earlier career I had been involved with purchasing from China and trying to recreate something competitive without the economies of scale is impossible. With that said, there are many small companies throughout the US that use CNC routers and other automated equipment that should be able to produce the desired results with some benefits of quantity discounts. They are still incapable of matching prices from large scale manufacturers especially from low wage countries like China but they can produce these in a much more manageable quantity and remove the freight and import costs not to mention the timeliness of a delivery.
The above beg the question of the OP - are you trying to make something that CAN be bought, or is it custom?

If it CAN be bought, even if you're talking tens of thousands, you're probably better off buying it.

At millions, realize that you are going into competition with the Big Boys, and that can be self-defeating - you've got to keep that line going 8x5x250 or better.

If what you need is custom, that's a whole 'nother story. Then it doesn't matter if it's 100s, 1000s etc. but it may make a difference how to go about it.

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Prospero

People have asked if I can make custom size clipframes in the past. I can. Trouble is, they want them
at a comparable price to ones they can buy in bargain stores. Even replacing glass in one is not easy -
you have to cut the glass to a very fine tolerance and then smooth the edges. Labor labor labor......😕

artfolio

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Amen to that. I always tried to talk customers out of clip frames, even to the point of discounting a "real" frame.

It would be interesting to see if Suki has made any progress in this project.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only