how to hinge a 55 x78 linen poster

icon framer

Grumbler
I have been given a linen backed poster 55 inches x 78 inches which i am framing with a spacer between acrylic and frame what is the best way to attache the top of the poster to stop it from drooping and cocking?
Thanks
Dave

We hinge with linen strips and BEVA. We build a 'platform' with strainer stock/ACM etc, then we wrap the strips around to the verso of the strainer platform and staple to the the bars. We do not use spacers on linen-backed posters that large (yeah, yeah, I know, micro-abraison from vibrations, etc, but even 1/4" acrylic would probably still 'sag' and contact the poster as it got closer to the center). We usually frame for the real-world.

Thanks CVM would you hinge on all sides or the top only?
I was thinking of stretching it out by hand onto a board and stapling all around on the excess linen around the poster do you think this would work?

Thanks
Dave

We do multiple hinges at the top. The BEVA bond is very aggressive. Also keep in mind that acrylic is subject to thermal expansion/contraction so on projects with very large acrylic sheets in certain climates/situations it may be prudent to build in a larger rabbet width to head off possible issues due to extreme temperature shifts from power outages.

If you use a "board" made of wood, its lignin content will damage the poster over time. Instead, I suggest using a substrate of acrylic or ACM.

There are museum rag boards that come large enough to use as a mount board. Small corp has honeycomb board that is rag lined. Wheat paste and Kozo hinges would also work.

Thanks Jim i was thinking of using board with a conservation board on top, do you think it would be ok to stretch it out and staple it to this to stop it from cockling?

Toby this is a large heavy piece do you think the wheat paste and kozo hinges will hold it?

Thanks for the replies,
Dave

Sorry I'm just getting back to this now. The beauty of making your own hinges out of Kozo is that you get to choose the weight of the Kozo and the size. Hiromi Paper and Talas are 2 good sources.

We hinge with linen strips and BEVA. We build a 'platform' with strainer stock/ACM etc, then we wrap the strips around to the verso of the strainer platform and staple to the the bars. We do not use spacers on linen-backed posters that large (yeah, yeah, I know, micro-abraison from vibrations, etc, but even 1/4" acrylic would probably still 'sag' and contact the poster as it got closer to the center). We usually frame for the real-world.
What size of linen strips do you use, and do you line the whole strip with BEVA, or just the parts that attach? And how wide is the area of attachment to the back of the art, for each hinge?
Someone has brought us a vintage advertising poster that's on heavy canvas, and is fairly wavy. It's smaller than any I've had in, at about 28 x 36.

3" wide strips and 1" wide BEVA across the strip. For strips we use a weight similar to what the vintage poster is backed with or 8XX screen printing polyester if we're concerned with the strip telegraphing through to the front.

We hinge with linen strips and BEVA. We build a 'platform' with strainer stock/ACM etc, then we wrap the strips around to the verso of the strainer platform and staple to the the bars. We do not use spacers on linen-backed posters that large (yeah, yeah, I know, micro-abraison from vibrations, etc, but even 1/4" acrylic would probably still 'sag' and contact the poster as it got closer to the center). We usually frame for the real-worldThis
This sounds like a platform with a wooden strainer, fronted by ACM, with the art resting against the front of the ACM. If this is so, what do you use to attach the ACM to the wood strainer? And do you do anything to keep the edges of the ACM from fraying the linen fabric?

If you use a "board" made of wood, its lignin content will damage the poster over time. Instead, I suggest using a substrate of acrylic or ACM.
If you were hinging one of these, using an acrylic or ACM substrate, how would that work for hinging it? Would you back the acrylic or ACM with coroplast or wood and staple through the hinges, into that? If not, how would you attach them?

I build a wooden stretcher frame and line the outside with Lineco's aluminum barrier tape to shield the work against the acid. They also have a copper tape but I find the adhesive is too light, doesn't grip the wood well enough. Then I staple away...

I build a wooden stretcher frame and line the outside with Lineco's aluminum barrier tape to shield the work against the acid. They also have a copper tape but I find the adhesive is too light, doesn't grip the wood well enough. Then I staple away...
Is this what you do for hinging vintage art posters. or for stretching canvases?

This sounds like a platform with a wooden strainer, fronted by ACM, with the art resting against the front of the ACM. If this is so, what do you use to attach the ACM to the wood strainer? And do you do anything to keep the edges of the ACM from fraying the linen fabric?

We key the ACM where it will contact the strainer and wipe with 50:50 water/IPA and adhere with VHB 5915 to metal or sealed wood strainer (24 hr full cure) or a polymer adhesive to unsealed wood strainer. But our favorite method is strainer/silicone I/Gator all wrapped in Marvelseal.

We key the ACM where it will contact the strainer and wipe with 50:50 water/IPA and adhere with VHB 5915 to metal or sealed wood strainer (24 hr full cure) or a polymer adhesive to unsealed wood strainer. But our favorite method is strainer/silicone I/Gator all wrapped in Marvelseal.
This has me wanting a someday-thread, where you share pics of one. Thanks for writing these notes. I just bought some heavy linen from the fabric store, for hinges.
Feeling good that the BEVA roll we bought four years ago will finally have a use.

Back