How should the new DCO book be published?

How should the new DCO book be published?

• 8-1/2" x 11" Full color printed, spiral-bound @ $29.99

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • 8-1/2" x 11" Greyscale printed, spiral-bound @ $24.99

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 8-1/2" x 11" Full color PDF file to download from email attachment @ $19.99

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Other (Please specify in post below)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Founding Member
Business
Miller
A new instructional book on DCO mounting techniques, The Complete Guide to Direct Contact Overlays, is completed and ready for publication. This book is for you, framing practitioners, so we would appreciate your participation in deciding the best way(s) to offer it.

Spiral-bound pages are recommended for a framing book often used for bench-top reference work, because it would lay flat when opened to a particular page.

1602532740484.png

Last edited:
Are these going to be print on demand or do you have to commit to a quantity?

I like the idea of printed version and a PDF, whether color or not.

Does the use of color enhance the ease of understanding? If not, then go with B&W.

My BA was in technical illustration, and color can help differentiate layers in a complex illustration. Exploded diagrams can benefit from it.

I don't think the $5 difference between B&W and Color will be much of a deterrent for those wanting a copy.

OK, it seems that some of you would like to download a PDF to have in a computer, and a printed copy.

Sure, we can do that. How about, when you buy the book you can have the PDF (immediately) for half price?

I'm not sure what postage will cost, but let's not forget that. As soon as I receive some of the books, I can weigh one and figure out the best ways to mail them out. Maybe the USPS still offers a good deal for "printed matter".

Are these going to be print on demand or do you have to commit to a quantity?

I don't think the $5 difference between B&W and Color will be much of a deterrent for those wanting a copy.
Print-on-demand adds significantly to the cost, so I would probably just buy reasonable quantities and sell them from inventory. And if they're to be printed, maybe a few framing suppliers with bookstores will sell them, too.

I tend to agree about the value of color, Wally. Yes, the book has several exploded drawings, all created in color. I believe most of the content would be understandable in greyscale, but certainly easier to understand in full color.

I like the idea of having the PDF tied to buying a hard copy. PDF only is a little troublesome, but maybe that's just me. You want a wide audience, so offering it in PDF is a good option for international customers.

US mail still offers the better price for printed matter. You have to go to an actual post office though in order to get that

I like the idea of printed copy (color preferred) and a PDF for half off

How do you protect the sharing of PDF?

I chose PDF simply for the fact of shipping costs to Canada, although I would prefer a printed version for use at the workbench for sure.
A PDF on a tablet would work in a pinch, but I like the tactile feel of a physical book, and for making notes and such.

...PDF only is a little troublesome, but maybe that's just me. You want a wide audience, so offering it in PDF is a good option for international customers.
Wally, what's "troublesome" about a PDF download in your experience?
Yes, my other books are sold internationally, and I expect the same for this one, too.

Last edited:
How do you protect the sharing of PDF?
Not sure. Maybe I'll post a bounty for the capture of anyone who dishonestly engages in the piracy of intellectual property.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seriously, anti-piracy encoding programs are, as Wally says, "troublesome", and their cost is a factor. All of them I've seen require the sender and the recipient to use special encoding applications that are quite cranky. In fact, I gave up looking for one I could make work on both ends.

I haven't written the Digital Download Agreement yet, but generally, the purchase will authorize one download and include an agreement not to reproduce or transmit the intellectual property other than for use by one person or one business location.

A book like this would have no market beyond our industry, so it's not likely that anyone could gain enough to justify illegally reproducing it. In my limited experience, picture framers are generally fair and honest. Faith and trust are involved.
šŸ˜‡

Last edited:
I would buy a printed copy and a PDF, depending on the price.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother with the whole DRM thing. I have a plug-in in Calibre that strips any DRM software off any file I put into it. I use it for library books before putting them on my Kindle so when I haven't finished a book it will still be available after the due date. Nothing is more frustrating than getting to the last chapter and your 2 weeks are up and there is a waiting list for the book you're reading!
Someone could also cut the spine off any book and feed it through a scanner in about 3 minutes if they really wanted to steal from you. Too much effort for a relatively honest industry in my humble opinion.

Acrobat file only. Subscribers can always print relevant sections, if necessary.

Plus, save a tree; squish a beaver ā€¦ or something. šŸ¤Ŗ

I keep getting this popup on the forum:

Jim Miller would like your opinion, alacrity8

If you have a moment, please vote and share your opinion regarding which format is best.

CLICK HERE

I keep getting this popup on the forum:

Jim Miller would like your opinion, alacrity8

If you have a moment, please vote and share your opinion regarding which format is best.

CLICK HERE
Yeah. I got it too, and couldn't figure out how to turn it off at first.
Cat Lanlancat GIF by MochiDad

As nice as it is to have everything saved on a computer, I still prefer the physical book. I don't get the same satisfaction from scrolling through a hundred pages of a pdf. Printing it in color is worth the extra expense to me.

Sorry about that. I changed the notice to display only ONCE, and to remove and dismiss itself after 20 seconds. (as if you clicked the X)

USPS does offer media mail. It is minimum half as expensive...sometimes more than that in savings. Probably $4 vs $8 priority. Less than $8 if it can go First Class. But, 100% media mail is much slower. A week is quick.
Depending, it can be weeks. They offer it, but itā€™s not their priority. :) Lots of delivery inconsistency.
I probably would suggest people will be happier paying a couple bucks more.

I have come to the conclusion that I hate PDFs. I suppose they are OK if you need a copy of an invoice or something, but anything over a few pages becomes very unwieldy to navigate. And hoe do people do this on their teensy phones?

Books rule!!!

I have come to the conclusion that I hate PDFs. I suppose they are OK if you need a copy of an invoice or something, but anything over a few pages becomes very unwieldy to navigate. And hoe do people do this on their teensy phones?

Books rule!!!
I'm not a fan of a casual reading of e-books (or anything that I'm going to read for more than a few minutes) either.
Give me a big ol' heavy clunky 2lb. hardcover any day.
humphrey bogart book GIF by Warner Archive

However, good PDF apps/programs will allow for bookmarking, indexes, searchability, etc.
Many have better functionality than most of the general free "read-only" versions (although a few free ones are good too).
This can be very useful for looking up specific info. in large documents or manuals quickly.
For example, I use the Larson Juhl Price Catalog PDF on my work PC for quickly looking up item codes or price checking, several times a day.

Agreed! Control+F is your friend :)

Books rule!!!
Yes Mar, any file the size of a book would be difficult o read on a phone's small screen. Most of us would use a computer and read the PDF file in the standard Adobe Reader program, which is free.

PDF = Pretty Darned Frustrating
Color Book, please - For international sales, colour book.

Audio books are very popular. If I call you will you read the book to me? :p
Oh, sure. When you're ready, call for my hourly rate...
šŸ˜

We're working on a simple website for online ordering of the books - both print and PDF download - with Square as the payment processor. Books Printing should be done very soon, and then I'll post the link here in the Commercial section.

Back