How do you handle your passwords?

I use the same bulletin board password on all bulletin boards. Is there any reason not to do that?

Of course, my computer password is private (I assume).

I have two passwords. They aren't written down anywhere. I have to remember them. If I can't remember them, I'll have to email Framer for them - except that I won't be able to get into my email account. :D

One of them is my "high-security" password. I use this only for accounts where someone could cause serious mischief. I need this password to get into my online banking account or to access the missile silo in my backyard.

The other password is my "low-security" password - which I use for nearly everything, including all those situations where I could be be inconvenienced, but not ruined if someone figured it out. The Grumble uses my low-security password. I don't lose sleep over the notion of someone hacking in and posting in my name.

Actually, that's exactly what's happened. I myself have posted maybe 100 times. The other 3500-or-so messages were posted by someone who discovered my password.

(The 100 intelligent posts were mine.)

Come to think of it, maybe I need to re-evaluate the security level of my Grumble password, since someone could use it to edit, delete or (Heaven help us) MOVE all the threads from three of the Grumble forums.

That would be MUCH more serious than having access to the negative balance of my online checking account.

I have just done a quick count up, I have:

2 for my phones
1 for home alarm
2 for work alarm
2 for POS
4 for the Website
2 for e-maily stuff
3 for Forums etc.
1 for the phone system at work
4 for Online ordering sites from Vendors
3 for Personal Banking (Card, Phone, Online)
2 for Internet connections (home, work)

Thats all I can remember at this point, somehow when I need to remember them I do. None of the above are dupes, though some are variations. There are also some on that list that I will change at random times, mostly within a week.
I have an encrypted Word file with all of the passwords should my RAM overload and dump the necessary information, the codes on that list however are always variations of the actual code, just enough to jog the memory so to speak. (Some of them get used so rarely it may take a moment of looking like a stranded goldfish in order to get it).

The administrator of this site (framer in this case), is the only person that has access to your grumble password.

However this means the admin of the other bb's have the access to the pw on those bb's.

Ron,
Your Hi Sec, Lo Sec strategy is what most people do.

So here is the question de-jour:
Do you consider your e-mail password Hi or Lo Sec?

Originally proponed by Lance :
None of the above are dupes, though some are variations. There are also some on that list that I will change at random times, mostly within a week. I have an encrypted . . .
Did anyone catch this?

Again,
None of the above are dupes . . .

Anyone know why this is important?

Or at least good?

Or at least useful?

Or at least not overkill?

Security experts say that no two passwords you have should be the same. This may be extreme in todays world of so many websites requiring pw's for such mundane things as getting quotes on travel.

The obvious disadvantage of the opposite extreme of having only one pw is that if someone figures out one pw (most likely from a place that has lower security because they deem that there isn't much of importance there), then they've got them all.

I likewise have a pw protected list of what I consider my Hi-Sec pw's on my computer, and a printed out sheet of the same that I keep in a safe deposit box. I update the list and sheet whenever I change or add a Hi-Sec pw. The reason for the printed sheet is that in the possible event of my demise
icon37.gif
my business partner will be able to carry on without me.

Unfortunately, I'm forced to keep a rolladex w/ all of my log-in names, and p/w's on it handy, and with me most all times. In my case, Of all of the things in my life I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Substitute memory for mind in that sentence, and you'll realize why I have to do this. It's getting harder and harder for me to remember these things. :eek:

Hi there,

Marc Lizer wrote:

The administrator of this site (framer in this case), is the only person that has access to your grumble password.
However I think that should be confirmed before you consider it the case. I've run bulletin boards before and no matter which type of BB it is, the passwords are kept completely private, even from the administrators.

I forgot, I have 2 high security passwords, too. I have no mind either.

My name is some variation of PurplePerson on all of them, too (a name aquired because of my pen at work).

I figure everything in a bulletin board is on the Web, and if (ha,ha) anyone wanted to find me and they are computer literate, they would find me and my 6 bulletin boards.

Back