• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Question How are frames with Marquetry made?

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
I have begun to sell a number of frames from Bella on Etsy, many of which use Marquetry. Curious minds (mine) want to know how they make these frames. Is the marquetry machine applied or are little old Italian ladies gluing the small pieces to the substrate. It has to be marquetry. Looking at the edges I can see the very thin individual pieces glued to the substrate.

m141Small.jpg m142Small.jpg m143Small.jpg m145Small.jpg

wpfay

Comfort Badger
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Sunshine Frames
And technically it is parquetry. Marquetry is more pictorial inlay whereas parquetry is a repeated geometric design pattern. Common usage has the two meanings pretty much interchangeable.
What Peter said.
Look up Japanese Yosegi-Zaiku. There are some videos on YouTube well worth the watch.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
I think they build up a block and cut slices off rather than place individual pieces.
That's one way to do it. Also strips of thin veneer, .5 mm thin more or less, can be joined at the edges with a machine called a veneer stitcher, or also by hand with a bunch of masking tape. Then they can be crosscut into strips of alternating chips of veneer, shifted into a chessboard pattern and then joined again by the same process.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

CHolt

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System